Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2021

George BM

6 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Definitely a disappointing end to the regular season after a big win over Mich. ST last weekend. Losing to an awful Northwestern team and then Penn St will definitely drop them several seedings in the tourny.

Brutal end to the regular season. All their improvement was thrown away in 2 pitiful games. Just awful losses. May have played themselves out if the tournament.

28 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

Brutal end to the regular season. All their improvement was thrown away in 2 pitiful games. Just awful losses. May have played themselves out if the tournament.

Well, Maryland gets Michigan State in the first round of the Big 10 tournament.  Unfortunately for Maryland,  Michigan State just pulled off a big win against Michigan and will have revenge on their minds for the beating they took from the Terps a week ago.  Plus, the Terps have played  like sh!t in their last 2 games.  But, I'm sure Turgeon will have them turned around next week.  :whistle: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

0z EPS implies flatter wave(s) damping with eastward movement early next week, a similar outcome to one of the common themes of the winter when there has been a strong vortex near the Canadian Maritimes- too much confluence in the wake. 

GEFS digs a trough along the west coast, with more ridging in the east as the NA vortex departs quicker. Result is a more consolidated system tracking to the NW.

Pick your path to defeat, lol.

I choose the GEFS option. It will give some of us,  especially south, a 1% chance of a MRGL risk. :weenie::tomato::weenie:

On 3/6/2021 at 2:42 PM, vastateofmind said:

Sorry we missed you by about 18 hours, @WeatherShak! But I'm sure you found some great drafts waiting for you, hope you're enjoying.  :)  Fair Winds could be another viable option for a future "south-enders mini meet-up" that @H2O proposed a couple weeks back...

On 3/6/2021 at 11:16 AM, WeatherShak said:

Will be there around 1230 today if anyone else happens to be there.

If I can get a free weekend without kids sports stuff and the weather gets nice I'd be down.  Or even a friday

• Like 1

5 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Turgeon was always know as a excellent recruiter but not a very good college  coach . That really hasn't changed much in 10 years .

Opposite of Gary. Gary never really went after the top tier recruits. Especially later in his coaching career at MD.  

One he'll of a coach though.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Seems like DC is following you

Represents my luck heading out West to ski! I recall heading to Steamboat for Spring Break back in 2015 with temps in the 60s at the base.. and yeah that's about as bad as it can get. Since then we've been a lot less haphazard wrt when/where we plan those trips. Pre-covid last year was a pretty good time to head out, and at that time Jackson Hole had a pretty great base, but that mountain is cutthroat! Still one of my favorite experiences skiing out there for sure though. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Opposite of Gary. Gary never really went after the top tier recruits. Especially later in his coaching career at MD.  

Yep...agree. The Terps under Turg just always seem to go thru spurts where they dont know what to do. Always 5+ min droughts of no scoring and terrible ball movement/turnovers. The last few mins of last nights game was horrendous offensively, and why they didnt try to double that Lundy dude or something I dont know. Only guy on the court that could do much for a while there.

Snippet from latest AFD Denver/Boulder-

There`s getting to be better agreement now on a large upper low moving slowly from Southern California Thursday across the southern Rockies Saturday and to the central plains by Monday. There are still some differences in the latitude and timing, but really given such a large, slow moving system, they may not be that important. The main story is that there`s a pretty good chance of a prolonged period of at least light snow, and possibly a period of heavy snow, for most of our area. The chance of significant snow looks greatest Friday and Saturday from about Denver southward, though there are some model solutions that have the significant precipitation further north or have steady precipitation all the way from Thursday night through Monday morning. Most model QPF for the Friday through Saturday period ranges from 1 to 3 inches. There are heavier solutions. It should be cold enough for this to be mostly snow, at least at 5000 feet and probably across the area.

1 hour ago, Chris78 said:

Gary was also super awesome, as a person in general. My mom makes scrapbooks for players. (she gets 1 or 2 freshman a year and makes them books of their entire college career at MD, with news clippings, pictures, etc.) At the end of each season, there would be a banquet for family and friends (pre covid) and my mom is always invited. One year she invited me as her plus 1 and I got to meet the team and coaches. I think the one I went to was either Gary's last season or the season just before it. Either way, he was awesome. 

Boom Osby, if anyone remembers him, is still a good family friend. He's been to my mom's house more than I can count, HUGE guy hahahaha

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, mappy said:

Gary was also super awesome, as a person in general. My mom makes scrapbooks for players. (she gets 1 or 2 freshman a year and makes them books of their entire college career at MD, with news clippings, pictures, etc.) At the end of each season, there would be a banquet for family and friends (pre covid) and my mom is always invited. One year she invited me as her plus 1 and I got to meet the team and coaches. I think the one I went to was either Gary's last season or the season just before it. Either way, he was awesome. 

Boom Osby, if anyone remembers him, is still a good family friend. He's been to my mom's house more than I can count, HUGE guy hahahaha

Thats awesome...yeah I remember Osby....defintely a big guy. Was known more for his defense than offense.

Just now, Baltimorewx said:

Thats awesome...yeah I remember Osby....defintely a big guy. Was known more for his defense than offense.

HES HUGE, I mean, you know he's a big dude to begin with on the court, but man in person... its crazy. He's super nice and while he's in Europe now, he still calls my mom monthly to catch up. She loves it. My sisters and I are all grown and out of the house, and my dad passed away a few years ago, so MD (across all sports) is my mom's life now. hahahahaha 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mappy said:

That's awesome! Gary always seemed to be a sincere person in any interviews I have seen of him. 

I remember Osby. Great defensive player.

I miss the Gary Williams days at MD and the epic battles in the ACC.  Especially against Duke.

Isn't the same anymore with MD in the big Ten.

14 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

That's awesome! Gary always seemed to be a sincere person in any interviews I have seen of him. 

I remember Osby. Great defensive player.

I miss the Gary Williams days at MD and the epic battles in the ACC.  Especially against Duke.

Isn't the same anymore with MD in the big Ten.

some of my best (and worst) memories cheering on the Terps were against Duke. 

Remember that game at Cole, where we lost in the last minute. I was at that game. Its was as horrible in person as it was on TV. 

4 hours ago, Chris78 said:

turgeon's system is just too conservative imo.  similar issue that i think jt3 ran into at gtown.  both systems play a lot of hot potato which isn't the most fun system for a blue chip recruit.  i think systems like that generally suit smaller schools better.  gary's flex offense and full court pressure was pretty chaotic at times, but it was probably more fun to play in and that's something that matters to offensive minded players.  add to that the analytics that favor pace/3pt shots/easy buckets and i think something may need to change for md to get back to what they were.  that said, this analysis is based off a relatively small sample size of games (i'm more of an nba guy), so take this with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

re hoops, i'll say this...the wizards have been playing more inspiring basketball lately, but still think they need a certifiable scoring threat in the post.  not having bryant isn't helping that issue.

meanwhile, the half court 3 point shots at the all star game last night were ridiculous.  if you can't score in today's nba, you better be able to do something else really well, or just be a great "team player" lol.

2 hours ago, mappy said:

some of my best (and worst) memories cheering on the Terps were against Duke. 

Remember that game at Cole, where we lost in the last minute. I was at that game. Its was as horrible in person as it was on TV. 

Unfortunately I do remember.  10 pt lead with about a minute left. It was a debacle.  Steve Blake had a couple turnovers I believe. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Unfortunately I do remember.  10 pt lead with about a minute left. It was a debacle.  Steve Blake had a couple turnovers I believe. 

Worst loss ever. Even worse than the loss to Duke in the final 4 that same season. Arguably it was the best thing that could've happened to them. They went into a tailspin after that loss and eventually suffered a horrible home loss to an average at best Florida State team. After the Florida State loss Juan Dixon and Gary had a face to face sit down and the result was a big change in Gary's handling of the team. They went on to regroup and play superb basketball the rest of the season. They beat Duke at Duke in the rematch. Then lost a tough game to Duke in the ACC tournament semifinals. They had 4 epic battles with Duke during that season that year. Duke went on to win the national championship. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

Snippet from latest AFD Denver/Boulder-

There`s getting to be better agreement now on a large upper low moving slowly from Southern California Thursday across the southern Rockies Saturday and to the central plains by Monday. There are still some differences in the latitude and timing, but really given such a large, slow moving system, they may not be that important. The main story is that there`s a pretty good chance of a prolonged period of at least light snow, and possibly a period of heavy snow, for most of our area. The chance of significant snow looks greatest Friday and Saturday from about Denver southward, though there are some model solutions that have the significant precipitation further north or have steady precipitation all the way from Thursday night through Monday morning. Most model QPF for the Friday through Saturday period ranges from 1 to 3 inches. There are heavier solutions. It should be cold enough for this to be mostly snow, at least at 5000 feet and probably across the area.

Heavier solutions, indeed.  Gotta love the GFS

image.png.6936e032b34c7ac49b4e7aed983f7990.png

12 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Y’all remember that time when Duke came back from like 10 down against Md with a minute to go?

yes...not a good one. 

Or when Maryland had a 20 first half point lead in tournament and lost that.  

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic