Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March Banter 2021

George BM

4 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

The can art is a bit weird I guess but had Black Flag Chef Goldblum today. It’s a barrel aged imperial cake batter stout at 11.6%. It’s tasty. Only criticism is I’d like maybe a slightly more bourbon barrel flavor 

Flavor combos sound great...ABV has my attention! Full disclosure...I feel a little dirty looking at the label. Chef Goldblum is feeling overly casual, and apparently enjoying the mixing of that cake batter just a bit too much.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Flavor combos sound great...ABV has my attention! Full disclosure...I feel a little dirty looking at the label. Chef Goldblum is feeling overly casual, and apparently enjoying the mixing of that cake batter just a bit too much.

Lol right. It’s tasty. The nose is definitely funfetti cake. 

• Like 1

Kinda sad the original DFH WWS is nowhere to be found these days. It is simply the best high gravity stout ever- and some would probably characterize it as a barleywine.

I miss that stuff. I bet there are a few places that might still have a few on the shelf- probably Atlantic Liquors in Rehoboth. I am sure its available down there on tap at C&M  too.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

That surely wouldn't get the relationship off on the right foot imo. ( the $50 a day penalty) . I've been in Construction for almost 30 years and never have I heard of that . I'd probably walk away as a electrical contractor if a customer suggested that to be very honest.  ( or if you do maybe give them a 2 week buffer then have a penalty if you want)There so many things out of the GCs control that can alter the timeline.( his subs, weather, illness , unexpected stuff, etc etc) . Especially a large Job.  Instead check him out really good and talk to previous customers if possible.  As far as any delays to the GCs fault I would instead modify the draw schedule in your favor.  Example...instead of him only being owed 10% at the end maybe make it 30% . 

Just my 2 cents 

Good luck :)

Number 1 thing to do imo is constantly communicate with them as the job goes along . That's key . Once communication gets sketchy.  That's a red flag . This the single #1 complaint I hear from my customers about other contractors. 

By law I think any remodel job the GC can ask for 1/3 up front . I actually don't like that . I would want at least materials delivered on site before I cut someone a check for $1,000s . As a electrical contractor I've never taken a third upfront before any work was preformed.  Occasionally I'll ask for 10-15% on large jobs  . But maybe I'm the minority 

30% up front. 30% upon completion of rough-in and inspection. 30% upon completion of trim out. The remainder (10%) upon final inspection. I am not a finance company. I do not want to be in the hole if the customer/homeowner is a deadbeat. I can justify a loss in my profit, but surely don't want to go in the hole if the customers decides not to pay. This is subject to change if not dealing directly with the homeowner and is instead sub contracted through a general contractor.

In the commercial realm this is avoided by creating a schedule of values and billing is based off of those values.

4 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Kinda sad the original DFH WWS is nowhere to be found these days. It is simply the best high gravity stout ever- and some would probably characterize it as a barleywine.

I miss that stuff. I bet there are a few places that might still have a few on the shelf- probably Atlantic Liquors in Rehoboth. I am sure its available down there on tap at C&M  too.

I’ll keep an eye out for it in the Baltimore area..if I find it I’ll buy it and save you a bottle 

• Thanks 1

I've never had to give money up front.  Even on a $23,000 roofing job.  I've had some ask for % up front and I pass on that.

Roofers though, lots of skeevy crap going on!  Some just present collaterals and take advantage of people that know nothing about roofs, take five grand up front and the next day they're posting ads on Craigslist looking for people that can use air nailers and lift shingles!  And then go to a supply house and buy shingles.  And rent a dumpster if it's a tear off (which it SHOULD be!).

25 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

I’ll keep an eye out for it in the Baltimore area..if I find it I’ll buy it and save you a bottle 

Called Wishing Well in Easton and they have a few 4 packs of the Oak aged vanilla WWS from 2017. That one is very good but the original is better imo, and the Bourbon Barrel aged one is awesome too. So hard to find. I will take what I can get though lol. Plus it is extra aged so might be even better. Might swing by there Monday.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Called Wishing Well in Easton and they have a few 4 packs of the Oak aged vanilla WWS from 2017. That one is very good but the original is better imo, and the Bourbon Barrel aged one is awesome too. So hard to find. I will take what I can get though lol. Plus it is extra aged so might be even better. Might swing by there Monday.

Hmmm any chance I can Venmo/PayPal you The money for a 4 pack ?

19 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

Hmmm any chance I can Venmo/PayPal you The money for a 4 pack ?

We can work something out. Why don't you call around up there and see if you can find the original or the Bourbon barrel aged one, then we can meet up and do a mix/match trade.

29 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

I've never had to give money up front.  Even on a $23,000 roofing job.  I've had some ask for % up front and I pass on that.

Roofers though, lots of skeevy crap going on!  Some just present collaterals and take advantage of people that know nothing about roofs, take five grand up front and the next day they're posting ads on Craigslist looking for people that can use air nailers and lift shingles!  And then go to a supply house and buy shingles.  And rent a dumpster if it's a tear off (which it SHOULD be!).

The upfront money is meant to take care of initial expenses for larger projects like wiring an entire house. Certainly not asking for anything upfront as it relates to "service calls". Basically just want to cover the cost of permits and materials. A roof is different, in a lot of instances it is a one day job... in and out. Not really hiring people on Craiglist for an electrical project which requires not only a licensed contractor but a workforce that has the education and are certified to do the work of a real electrician (journeyman, etc.). So I am not sure that is a fair comparison?

43 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

When I was GC I never paid anything up front. The construction loan required a commitment of materials delivered/services rendered, then verification of work completed before any funds were released for payment. The contractors all seemed familiar with the process and never had an issue with it.

2 hours ago, losetoa6 said:

Yea ...I treat builder's or General contractors differently then directly with homeowners as I've been hooked several times in 20 years of business . I've only been snubbed once by a homeowner. Truthfully majority (99%) of my customers are referred to me by there friends family or neighbors so everyone knows each other so less chance of bring stiffed.  Thus ...are very good about paying on time vs builder's stretching me out to 30-45 days . Most homeowner jobs I ask for nothing upfront ( large jobs 15%)and draws of 60%+ extras  at rough in completion and 40% at final . Builders usually I do 15% /45%/20%/20%. Last couple years I do mainly service calls anyway ( 1 hour ,1/2 day jobs ) quick in and out and not laying out much $ upfront anyway)

A lot of GC's will say paid when paid... which means you get paid when they get paid (supposedly). This means if there are outstanding issues as it relates to any portion (plumbing, hvac, painting, etc.) of the entire project, you could potentially wait quite a while to get paid. Referrals obviously are best being somewhat "vetted" by previous customers.

2 minutes ago, Baltimorewx said:

@CAPE would like that im finishing the night with DFH raisin d extra. I’m still working though but shhh on that haha

Haven't had that one for a while either. Good stuff.

And sure thing lol. I have a feeling the only WWS that's available right now is the one I found, but never hurts to look.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CAPE said:

Haven't had that one for a while either. Good stuff.

And sure thing lol. I have a feeling the only WWS that's available right now is the one I found, but never hurts to look.

Haha right. Usually the liquor store up here just has it on the shelf warm but for some reason they decided to put some in the fridge for $9 so I’ll take it for a quickly and then warm some to room temp lol

3 hours ago, KAOS said:

The upfront money is meant to take care of initial expenses for larger projects like wiring an entire house. Certainly not asking for anything upfront as it relates to "service calls". Basically just want to cover the cost of permits and materials. A roof is different, in a lot of instances it is a one day job... in and out. Not really hiring people on Craiglist for an electrical project which requires not only a licensed contractor but a workforce that has the education and are certified to do the work of a real electrician (journeyman, etc.). So I am not sure that is a fair comparison?

Good luck on a warranty claim (i.e. GAF) if installers aren't certified!

7 hours ago, Chris78 said:

Damn. Yea probably deserving of it.

Nope. It’s crap. There was no penalty. This is simply because he went to the hospital. And it’s Wilson. The NHL doesn’t punish everyone that gets hurt. So to do so now is dumb. I’ve never argued his other suspensions but this one didn’t warrant one. Sometimes things happen. This was one. Komerov boarding Eller was more dangerous. That didn’t have any hearing. 

32 minutes ago, H2O said:

Nope. It’s crap. There was no penalty. This is simply because he went to the hospital. And it’s Wilson. The NHL doesn’t punish everyone that gets hurt. So to do so now is dumb. I’ve never argued his other suspensions but this one didn’t warrant one. Sometimes things happen. This was one. Komerov boarding Eller was more dangerous. That didn’t have any hearing. 

Just went back and looked at the replay again. I love Tom Wilson but his elbow made contact with the guys head and then the guys head was smashed against the glass. If your Tom Wilson you've got to be smarter than that.

Maybe Sidney Crosby wouldn't get suspended for that but Tom Wilson always will.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, CAPE said:

Was outside pulling chickweed from the beds, put down some preen, and started putting in some fresh mulch. That March sun gets shit coming alive despite the cold. Saw some small spiders sunning on the rocks and bluestone pavers.

Damn chickweed almost completely overran one of my garden beds this year...we've had pockets in previous years but never this bad. One garden bed out front almost green with chickweed, the other still dead-ish with last year's mulch. I got about half of a Saturday coming up dedicated to bending over and pulling on that one bed. Can't wait.

14 hours ago, Baltimorewx said:

If you get a chance, also check out Black Flag Brewery with the pup. It’s smaller and down in Columbia  but they are awesome with their beers. 

Checked out Black Flag's website when you mentioned them earlier...they have a lot of interesting brews I'd love to try. We were visiting friends in Catonsville last night who had a Manor Hill Brewery variety pack on hand, which I think @Scraff was talking about earlier this week. I finished a couple of the Irish reds out of the pack, pretty good.

26 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Damn chickweed almost completely overran one of my garden beds this year...we've had pockets in previous years but never this bad. One garden bed out front almost green with chickweed, the other still dead-ish with last year's mulch. I got about half of a Saturday coming up dedicated to bending over and pulling on that one bed. Can't wait.

It loves to grow here, like most other weeds lol. Seems to come alive in late winter, as it stays low to the ground. I yank it out and throw down a ton of preen, but it will still come back.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Terps are still a choke team. I think it might be time to replace Turgeon.

Definitely a disappointing end to the regular season after a big win over Mich. ST last weekend. Losing to an awful Northwestern team and then Penn St will definitely drop them several seedings in the tourny.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic