Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Banter 2021

George BM

5 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

If this team got somebody like Wilson you are immediately looking at an odds on favorite to do deep in the playoffs. This team is much better than they get credit for. 

They are still lacking players in areas that Wilson would need to be successful.  More WRs to help McLaurin, LBs, DBs and OL

2 hours ago, George BM said:

Meanwhile, my liquor life consists of the occasional mouse sip of wine here and there through my childhood... Wait, does wine count as liquor? :wacko:

I's got some studying to do before I'm able to join you adults in discussing this stuff.

@Cobalt @Rhino16 @NorthArlington101 you three are in my club. Get the soft drinks, chips and... what kind of pizza do you three like? Maybe some salad and Mediterranean food in case you're trying to be healthier. 

I've had a couple drinks at college but I'm hardly a big drinker. Don't like the taste of cheap beer... much prefer to mix some drinks into soda. Didn't drink at all till college and the lack of safe parties recently hasn't helped me get into it. The big 21st birthday is only 20 days away so I'll be taking recommendations from the people here soon!

When it comes to pizza... Dominoes. Bacon, green peppers, pepperoni. That's all I need.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I've had a couple drinks at college but I'm hardly a big drinker. Don't like the taste of cheap beer... much prefer to mix some drinks into soda. Didn't drink at all till college and the lack of safe parties recently hasn't helped me get into it. The big 21st birthday is only 20 days away so I'll be taking recommendations from the people here soon!

When it comes to pizza... Dominoes. Bacon, green peppers, pepperoni. That's all I need.

Substitute the bacon with pepperoni (or maybe have them both?) and you can count me in. Been eating well but the picture you just painted in my head might get me to break that temporarily lol. 

Also yes, not much drinking going on here. I've only ever had anything at special occasions, but I don't really have a taste for it yet. In terms of general drink-worthy occasions, I wonder which would come first.. a major DC sports title, me turning 21, or an area-wide HECS? Place your bets I guess, but only one of those is most nearly a certainty (I hope at least), but yeah, I can wait to drink. My family is full-on Portuguese so I can only safely say that I'd enjoy various wines anywho. Beer drinking doesn't exactly run in those genes. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Anyone like crabcakes?  If so, they're s G&M!

Have loved crab and all shellfish my entire life...and then developed a really bad shellfish allergy over a decade ago. I despise being that wet blanket at parties when the warm, cheesy crab dip and crackers are set out on the table and the host begs me to try it...and then feels bad when I inform them on the down-low that I can't have it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stormfly said:

Anyone like crabcakes?  If so, they're s G&M!

I recall those being very good, and big. But then I went there a few years ago and they seemed to have some breading/filler.

Best crab cakes I get now are over here in Centreville. I buy them "uncooked" and ready to heat in the oven. Put a slab of butter on top and bake at 425 for 20 mins. All lump, and no filler. Outstanding.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, nj2va said:

I had a Mike's Hard Lemonade when I was 18.  lol

I really only drank beer(crap beer in those days) until I was probably 20, and not that much really. Around then I tried some sort of nasty mixed drink at a party. Never liked wine until years later, and as for hard stuff, even now I only occasionally drink vodka and bourbon. Over the last 10 years or so I have gotten into craft beers and wine, mostly reds. I really love the high gravity beers now- bang for the buck. I have smoked pot on and off since I was a teenager, but much less since those early days. I really don't like smoking anything now honestly. I could get into the edibles, but that would probably be in direct conflict with my healthy eating habits lol.

2 hours ago, H2O said:

I wouldn't be happy with what they would have to give up to get him.  Tired of sacrificing the future for teams that only go 8-8 

any thoughts on RIvera bringing Cam Newton in?  They have a history.  Not saying it is a good idea, but definitely plausible. 

38 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Not much filling other than saltine crackers to bond together the lumps.

Are they still huge? I thought they had changed ownership or something. I remember the place was always crowded, and standing in line to get them years ago.

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

I really only drank beer(crap beer in those days) until I was probably 20, and not that much really. Around then I tried some sort of nasty mixed drink at a party. Never liked wine until years later, and as for hard stuff, even now I only occasionally drink vodka and bourbon. Over the last 10 years or so I have gotten into craft beers and wine, mostly reds. I really love the high gravity beers now- bang for the buck. I have smoked pot on and off since I was a teenager, but much less since those early days. I really don't like smoking anything now honestly. I could get into the edibles, but that would probably be in direct conflict with my healthy eating habits lol.

Interesting observations on wine here, @CAPE. While I drank beer and liquor (to a fault) in college, I dried out after that period for most of my 20s. At no point, up until about my early 30s, was wine even palatable...gave me splitting headaches while drinking it. Then, suddenly in my mid 30s, I could tolerate whites....and then approaching 40, I began to appreciate whites AND reds. Headaches and drinking wine are no longer a package deal...well, unless Mrs. V & I crack open more than one bottle of any variety on a Friday night.  ;)  And craft beers, dear God. So many beers...so little time.

• Like 1

Just now, vastateofmind said:

Interesting observations on wine here, @CAPE. While I drank beer and liquor (to a fault) in college, I dried out after that period for most of my 20s. At no point, up until about my early 30s, was wine even palatable...gave me splitting headaches while drinking it. Then, suddenly in my mid 30s, I could tolerate whites....and then approaching 40, I began to appreciate whites AND reds. Headaches and drinking wine are no longer a package deal...well, unless Mrs. V & I crack open more than one bottle of any variety on a Friday night.  ;)  And craft beers, dear God. So many beers...so little time.

Only red wine I would drink in my 20s was Manischewitz  lmao. Basically welches grape juice, but with alcohol. Suffice to say I have come a long way, as I really like dry reds now, and don't like more than a slight hint of sweetness even in a white.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Are they still huge? I thought they had changed ownership or something. I remember the place was always crowded, and standing in line to get them years ago.

They are decent sized for sure.  And they are quite crowded.  They did add on to their building around 2008 IIRC.  I imagine this whole pandemic thing has really impacted their business.

I have a few hundred bucks in gift cards for them I've been saving for the past few years and now with the restrictions I will probably just buy some ready to heat.  Shipping is too expensive and they are about an hour drive from here so I'm just going to pick them up.

Local to my area we have Madonna Seafood and their crabcakes are probably 90% of G&M for about the same price.  Closer to 95 is Box Hill Pizzeria and they have pretty decent ones too although they tend to be more on the creamy side.  Everyone's taste is a bit different of course.

One thing's for sure, down in Florida they do NOT understand what "Maryland Style" crabcake means! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I miss college :weenie: 

It is truly awful that I've lost a year+ of the college experience online. I can't think about it too hard or I'll get sad. Really gonna have to live it up next semester.

That said, I am also somewhat ready to move on from college. I would like to make some real money, haha. Internship applications already are horrible though... have to imagine job apps are worse.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

It is truly awful that I've lost a year+ of the college experience online. I can't think about it too hard or I'll get sad. Really gonna have to live it up next semester.

That said, I am also somewhat ready to move on from college. I would like to make some money. Internship applications already are horrible though... have to imagine job apps are worse.

I'm sorry for you, brother, that you lost that much time in a forced/converted in-person > online adaptive situation. I can't imagine for myself what TRYING to attend college in a post-COVID-19 world looks and feels like...let alone for you, or my own sons (who graduated college about 1 and 3 years ahead of you, respectively). I've taught as an adjunct instructor at Southern New Hampshire University for about six years now, where the online format is a way of life...however, when you're paying for, and expecting, that in-person experience at UVa or any school in VA or across the country, but still have to adapt to mostly or 100% online regardless...that's a tough pill to swallow.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That said, I am also somewhat ready to move on from college. I would like to make some real money, haha. Internship applications already are horrible though... have to imagine job apps are worse.

Don't worry, you'll start having dreams about whether you accumulated enough credits to graduate, and they'll usually involve the courses which in hindsight you should never have taken in the first place.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

I recall those being very good, and big. But then I went there a few years ago and they seemed to have some breading/filler.

Best crab cakes I get now are over here in Centreville. I buy them "uncooked" and ready to heat in the oven. Put a slab of butter on top and bake at 425 for 20 mins. All lump, and no filler. Outstanding.

2 hours ago, Stormfly said:

Not much filling other than saltine crackers to bond together the lumps.

I just had a crab cake sandwich from Box Hill (don’t want to quote all of @Stormfly’s last post) and though I like them a lot, the bun is too large. It takes away from the crab cake. I like G & M’s crab cake a lot, but the Olive Branch that used to be used to be here and moved up 140 a ways is really good too.

Tim Buk Too in Hanover used to be good too, but I haven’t been there in awhile.

I need a good recipe from @Mrs.J for all the crabbing we do.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

They are decent sized for sure.  And they are quite crowded.  They did add on to their building around 2008 IIRC.  I imagine this whole pandemic thing has really impacted their business.

I have a few hundred bucks in gift cards for them I've been saving for the past few years and now with the restrictions I will probably just buy some ready to heat.  Shipping is too expensive and they are about an hour drive from here so I'm just going to pick them up.

Local to my area we have Madonna Seafood and their crabcakes are probably 90% of G&M for about the same price.  Closer to 95 is Box Hill Pizzeria and they have pretty decent ones too although they tend to be more on the creamy side.  Everyone's taste is a bit different of course.

One thing's for sure, down in Florida they do NOT understand what "Maryland Style" crabcake means! 

I found out pretty quickly when you travel and the menu has "Maryland style" crab cakes or crab soup, or anything, avoid it like the (pandemic).

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

57 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Love Box Hill crab cakes.

• Like 2

I know someone who used to live in MD but has moved elsewhere where Old Bay seasoning isn't as popular.  He did this even before he moved, but whenever he travels, whether via plane, train, or automobile, he carries the stuff with him because he feels it's a good idea to be prepared.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic