Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 Discobs

nj2va

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Maybe the temporary cold will slow the warp-speed growth of my backyard grass, which will be knee-high in spots by this weekend if I don't get my butt out there today and do the first cut. But I doubt it.  :) 

Just came in from my first cut. Nicest day this week for it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Looks line some possible convection this afternoon with the initial batch of prefrontal rain, then heavy rain overnight with the developing low along the front. As usual, eastern areas are favored for heavier rains.

Another 1 inch plus event , seems anything less than an inch is rare these days, that counts Winter and summer, spring and fall. Sucks ! 

When you are driving around look at your lawns and and woods and see the new establishment of evasive weeds and rough house blue grass, taking over golf courses and manicured lawns. Very interesting. Onion grass also making a comeback as top soils erode and the moisture and feedback cycle supports these new weeds and grasses. 

3 minutes ago, frd said:

Another 1 inch plus event , seems anything less than an inch is rare these days, that counts Winter and summer, spring and fall. Sucks ! 

When you are driving around look at your lawns and and woods and see the new establishment of evasive weeds and rough house blue grass, taking over golf courses and manicured lawns. Very interesting. Onion grass also making a comeback as top soils erode and the moisture and feedback cycle supports these new weeds and grasses. 

The red oak trees are dieing off as well. Too much rain and subtropical conditions are killing them in big numbers. It's really sad.

11 minutes ago, Bodhi Cove said:

Appreciate this, some interesting details there. I've put out a feeder in past years, have tried planting various types of flowers around or near the feeder, but just have not ever been able to consistently attract hummingbirds to our backyard.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, frd said:

The moss has become prolific. I don't mind it though, because its ground cover. Problem is the relatively small area where I try to keep the grass gets full sun during the day in Summer, and it bakes. Cant keep the soil wet enough there when it is hot and sunny mid to late summer.

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

The moss has become prolific. I don't mind it though, because its ground cover. Problem is the relatively small area where I try to keep the grass gets full sun during the day in Summer, and it bakes. Cant keep the soil wet enough there when it is hot and sunny mid to late summer.

Soil moisture levels in this region must be off the charts, still ponding on roads and fields after the last event. Incredible. 

9 minutes ago, dailylurker said:

The red oak trees are dieing off as well. Too much rain and subtropical conditions are killing them in big numbers. It's really sad.

I have some dead standing oaks on my land. Luckily far enough away from the house. They might be reds, although I have white, black, and pin as well.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Appreciate this, some interesting details there. I've put out a feeder in past years, have tried planting various types of flowers around or near the feeder, but just have not ever been able to consistently attract hummingbirds to our backyard.

Grab some fake flowers from a dollar store red white purple but predominantly red. You need to grab their attention upon arrival. I have three feeders out now in various locations.  We get the same hummingbirds every season they're not afraid of us anymore, and will dive bomb our heads if the feeders are empty.

IMG_20210331_083414502.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Bodhi Cove said:

Grab some fake flowers from a dollar store red white purple but predominantly red. You need to grab their attention upon arrival. I have three feeders out now in various locations.  We get the same hummingbirds every season they're not afraid of us anymore, and will dive bomb our heads if the feeders are empty.

IMG_20210331_083414502.jpg

thanks for the advice.  What type of nectar do you use?  Is it homemade? 

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Looks like someone spotted one in town on the 26th.   Need to get some feeders and put them out. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, toolsheds said:

thanks for the advice.  What type of nectar do you use?  Is it homemade? 

Yes, I make my own nectar. during the Spring and late Fall I'll usually add a little more sugar than called for, since they burn up so much energy trying to stay warm.

I also boil the water to burn off the chlorine. It takes a little longer because you have to wait for the nectar to cool.

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-make-hummingbird-nectar

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bodhi Cove said:

Yes, I make my own nectar. during the Spring and late Fall I'll usually add a little more sugar than called for, since they burn up so much energy trying to stay warm.

I also boil the water to burn off the chlorine. It takes a little longer because you have to wait for the nectar to cool.

https://www.audubon.org/news/how-make-hummingbird-nectar

thanks!  I'll use this and let you know how it goes. 

Upcoming stretch of weather starting Saturday is looking great:

Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 57.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 43.
Sunday
Sunny, with a high near 67.
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 44.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 66.
Monday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 45.
Tuesday
Sunny, with a high near 72.
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, frd said:

I finally got the stiltgrass down to a manageable level, but last year chickweed came in big time. I see a bunch of it flowering right now. Also starting to have an issue with nutsedge too. I try not to put too much stuff down on the lawn so mostly hand pull and spot treat. Might be a losing battle though. Lost 8 oaks last year.

Surprisingly pleasant out this morning, thought the rain was coming in earlier. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic