Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

For most of my life, it's almost always been cool and/or rainy around Memorial Day weekend (no matter what day the actual holiday came on and regardless of whether there was some heatwave or above average temps before or after).  There were the rare few years with some of the weekend days that had weather that was decent (I think last year was one of those times), but more often than not as a kid, we would go out on our back covered patio with the grill due to rain or threat of rain. :lol:

Of course July 4 was almost always the polar opposite.  Pretty much guaranteed to be hazy, hot, and humid (with a few years when it was actually "nice" ).  Am guessing it's the climatology of the month (based on sun angles).

Am currently at 48 and up to 0.20" in the bucket this morning.  Looks like that potential for a record low max for PHL for today might be do-able. :blink:

Truth! As a kid, I remember looking forward to Memorial Day because that's the weekend our swim club would open. More often than not, the weekend was dark, dank and dreary, but I still begged to go swimming...lol!

48F

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

For most of my life, it's almost always been cool and/or rainy around Memorial Day weekend (no matter what day the actual holiday came on and regardless of whether there was some heatwave or above average temps before or after).  There were the rare few years with some of the weekend days that had weather that was decent (I think last year was one of those times), but more often than not as a kid, we would go out on our back covered patio with the grill due to rain or threat of rain. :lol:

Of course July 4 was almost always the polar opposite.  Pretty much guaranteed to be hazy, hot, and humid (with a few years when it was actually "nice" ).  Am guessing it's the climatology of the month (based on sun angles).

Am currently at 48 and up to 0.20" in the bucket this morning.  Looks like that potential for a record low max for PHL for today might be do-able. :blink:

Either that or set up the grill at the perimeter of the garage and let the smoke blow out. Think my Dad liked the garage idea because that's the location of the adult beverages.

July 4th is almost a guaranteed lock at getting roasted and a decent chance of a late day T-storm screwing up your BBQ. If not your BBQ, then if you had plans to see a local firework display later that evening, it would screw that up.

48F / drizzle and mist 

31 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Either that or set up the grill at the perimeter of the garage and let the smoke blow out. Think my Dad liked the garage idea because that's the location of the adult beverages.

July 4th is almost a guaranteed lock at getting roasted and a decent chance of a late day T-storm screwing up your BBQ. If not your BBQ, then if you had plans to see a local firework display later that evening, it would screw that up.

48F / drizzle and mist 

Sadly once we had moved to a different house in '68, that house didn't have a garage but had that covered patio (with one of those near bullet-proof aluminum awnings). One of my sisters did eventually buy a house with a garage however, and that's where they move the grill during inclement weather (including in winter since they like to grill year-round and will shovel a path to the grill if there is snowpack).  And of course there's an extra fridge out there for adult beverage storage too. :lol:  

The winters of 2013 & 2014 managed to absolutely destroy that awning after what was about 60 years of life due to the weight of the glaciers of ice that resulted from the freezes/thaws of the snow that didn't slide off or get knocked off. :(

My temp ticked up to 49 with on and off light rain and rainfall for today now up to 0.32" (event total 2.23" so far).

Kudos to the new GFS for nailing the this holiday weekend record cold craptacular double barreled noreaster from hell. It had the forecast pegged from early in the week when the other guidance had the weekend as a Friday into Saturday event only. A broke clock is right twice a day...

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, RedSky said:

Kudos to the new GFS for nailing the this holiday weekend record cold craptacular double barreled noreaster from hell. It had the forecast pegged from early in the week when the other guidance had the weekend as a Friday into Saturday event only. A broke clock is right twice a day...

That's true.  I had expected the guidance for a halfway decent Sunday to verify since what usually happens is either a Saturday or a Sunday washout and you can at least salvage one or the other.  But didn't expect a Friday - Sunday wipe out. :wacko:

7 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Probably because that's the only day Wimpy pays for his hamburger...

48F / light rain

Speaking of hamburgers, I'm due to start grilling soon. My parents and my brother and his wife are coming over at 4; hopefully this will have mostly moved on by then. We haven't seen each other in over a year, my brother just finished grad school, and nobody's seen our new house (except in pictures online), so expecting quite the little shindig this afternoon, rain or not. I've got a canopy I can set up over the grill on the deck if need be but I'd rather not.

Sitting at .18" for the day, just under 50°F. Check out this graph from my weather station for the past week. Wild!

image.thumb.png.e850666b0726c2f6bb27b55de99d5bbe.png

21 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Speaking of hamburgers, I'm due to start grilling soon. My parents and my brother and his wife are coming over at 4; hopefully this will have mostly moved on by then. We haven't seen each other in over a year, my brother just finished grad school, and nobody's seen our new house (except in pictures online), so expecting quite the little shindig this afternoon, rain or not. I've got a canopy I can set up over the grill on the deck if need be but I'd rather not.

Sitting at .18" for the day, just under 50°F. Check out this graph from my weather station for the past week. Wild!

You look good unless precip starts former further S...moving N.

51F / light rain

read.jpg

3 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

image.thumb.png.e850666b0726c2f6bb27b55de99d5bbe.png

It would like a fall cookout!  All you need is the Kamu firepit and you can get your grill-on! :lol:

I finally made it above 50 and am currently (barely) at 51, overcast, and misty, and I think this may be it for the day, but we will see.  KPHL is showing 52, so unless some sudden WAA comes blowing in down there, I think the previous record low max of 59 for this date is toast.  Current precip for the day IMBY is 0.35" (2.26" event total).

ETA - a snip snapshot of my temps (from my little local weewx setup that I have to get back to tweaking). Amazing the 40 degree temp swings for highs (91 vs 51).

weewx-weekly-outdoor-temps-400pm-edt-05302021.PNG

Finally able to get on the grill for some ribs, brats, and burgers. Might be able to salvage having a fire tonight too since I covered the wood. Sad that I wasn't able to use my new smoker though this weekend, maybe next weekend.... 

2.6" storm event total. Dry spell busted. Also made it down to 45F last night.

Final rainfall for yesterday was 0.36" for an event total of 2.27".    My low this morning was 47 but at least I did move up above 50 much quicker and am currently at 51 and overcast (had a brief break of sun earlier before it clouded over again).

In other news, pretty much everyone forecast to do so or get close in the Mt. Holly CWA blew up their record low max temps -

SXUS71 KPHI 310620
 RERABE

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
 219 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT ALLENTOWN...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE LEHIGH VALLEY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 
 NEAR ALLENTOWN, PENNSYLVANIA WAS 51 DEGREES ON SUNDAY BREAKING THE 
 PREVIOUS RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 52 DEGREES SET IN 1953.

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310617
 RERACY

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 215 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT ATLANTIC CITY...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE ATLANTIC CITY INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 
 NEAR ATLANTIC CITY, NEW JERSEY WAS 54 DEGREES ON SUNDAY BREAKING THE 
 PREVIOUS RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 58 DEGREES SET IN 1971.

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310623
 RERGED

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 0223 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT GEORGETOWN...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE DELAWARE COASTAL AIRPORT NEAR 
 GEORGETOWN, DELAWARE WAS 56 DEGREES ON SUNDAY BREAKING THE PREVIOUS 
 RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 57 DEGREES SET IN 1996.

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310619
 RERILG

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 218 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT WILMINGTON...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE NEW CASTLE AIRPORT NEAR WILMINGTON, 
 DELAWARE WAS 53 DEGREES ON SUNDAY BREAKING THE PREVIOUS RECORD LOW 
 MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 62 DEGREES SET IN 1971.

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310625
 RERMPO

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 225 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT MOUNT POCONO...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE POCONO MOUNTAINS MUNICIPAL AIRPORT 
 NEAR MOUNT POCONO, PENNSYLVANIA WAS 47 DEGREES ON SUNDAY BREAKING 
 THE PREVIOUS RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 53 DEGREES SET IN 

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310618
 RERPHL

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 217 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT PHILADELPHIA...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT IN 
 PHILADELPHIA, PENNSYLVANIA WAS 53 DEGREES ON SUNDAY BREAKING THE 
 PREVIOUS RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 59 DEGREES SET IN 1918.

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310624 CCA
 RERRDG

RECORD EVENT REPORT...
 224 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT READING...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE READING REGIONAL AIRPORT NEAR 
 READING, PENNSYLVANIA WAS 54 DEGREES ON SATURDAY BREAKING THE 
 PREVIOUS RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 58 DEGREES SET IN 1990.

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310621
 RERTTN

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 221 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT TRENTON...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE TRENTON MERCER AIRPORT NEAR TRENTON, 
 NEW JERSEY WAS 51 DEGREES ON SATURDAY BREAKING THE PREVIOUS RECORD 
 LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 54 DEGREES SET IN 1915.

$$

DEAL

SXUS71 KPHI 310627
 RER55N

RECORD EVENT REPORT
 226 AM EDT MON MAY 31 2021

...RECORD LOW MAX TEMPERATURE SET AT ATLANTIC CITY MARINA...

THE MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE AT THE ATLANTIC CITY MARINA NEAR ATLANTIC 
 CITY, NEW JERSEY WAS 54 DEGREES ON SUNDAY BREAKING THE PREVIOUS 
 RECORD LOW MAXIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 56 DEGREES SET IN 2000.

$$

DEAL

• Like 2

Here in East Nantmeal Twp. 3.33" of rain in the gauge over the 3 days with 3.00" on the Davis VP2 and 2.64" on the Tempest station. The 4.55" that has fallen the last 6 days brings the May total rainfall to 5.80" which is +1.45" above normal. Year to date we are up to 19.58" only 0.18" below our normal through the month of May. Our chilly spell will also ensure this is our 2nd straight below normal May regarding average temperatures - of note this is our 4th below normal May over the last 6 years in Chester County PA