Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

I think I was 12 when that movie hit Prism one summer. I was convinced the clock was ticking for those of us in PA and we'd be running from swarms of killer bees by the 1990's.

This made me feel. :oldman:  Early 80's when cable just became available in my area... 

Had the big ass Jerrold 3 level click button box w/a annoying long cord to the TV console which always got tangled up with something or I tripped over it.

73F / DP 56F...no sign of cicadas. 

click.jpg

tv.jpg

42 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

This made me feel. :oldman:  Early 80's when cable just became available in my area... 

Had the big ass Jerrold 3 level click button box w/a annoying long cord to the TV console which always got tangled up with something or I tripped over it.

73F / DP 56F...no sign of cicadas. 

click.jpg

tv.jpg

Nice vintage electronics! Sorta-kinda but not really related, I inherited one of those old console-bureau-side-table-cabinet things with a stereo on the middle and a record player on the right from one of my grandparents. I wish I still had it, but it got too much mold damage in storage about 10 years ago and would have taken too much money and effort to properly restore it.

Speaking of bees, they have always been freakishly attracted to me for some reason. My parents used to think I was being overdramatic as a kid, but all throughout my life, I'll be standing among a group of people and I'll the one the bees always seem to want to divebomb. I've even been bit by a carpenter bee through a pants leg. Needless to say, I grew up TERRIFIED of killer bees.

• Weenie 1

26 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Nice vintage electronics! Sorta-kinda but not really related, I inherited one of those old console-bureau-side-table-cabinet things with a stereo on the middle and a record player on the right from one of my grandparents. I wish I still had it, but it got too much mold damage in storage about 10 years ago and would have taken too much money and effort to properly restore it.

LOL was going to post that we had one of those console cabinet stereos that you are describing - with the AM/FM radio and a record player, and ours had an 8-track player/recorder too. :lol: I remember one of my god brothers had a copy of "The Story of Star Wars" LP that had an abridged version of the dialog/sound effects of the original movie.

LP_Cover.jpg

I remember ripping that onto 8-track tape.   I think it fit on one 8-track (all of 3 channels and most of the 4th).  I may still have it in a crate in the basement.  Don't have anything to play it on. :D

Speaking of bees, they have always been freakishly attracted to me for some reason. My parents used to think I was being overdramatic as a kid, but all throughout my life, I'll be standing among a group of people and I'll the one the bees always seem to want to divebomb. I've even been bit by a carpenter bee through a pants leg. Needless to say, I grew up TERRIFIED of killer bees.

You must be sweet! :lmao:   I'm surprised the carpenter bees bothered you though.  They can appear aggressive because they are territorial, but are actually curious and want to "check out" anyone and anything coming in "their" territory, so they will swoop right up to you and hover.  They usually don't attack despite looking imposing though.  But like the other critters, when the temps go below the 60s, they tend to go into a torpor.

My temp crept up to 73 and the sun did manage to pop out with dp 60.  It's been breezy though.

Probably a A/C day tomorrow but after that, no 90s really in site. Friday/Sat 60s with rain then 70s and 80s for some time.

I'll give the critters one more chance with rain Friday into Sat (maybe a storm tomorrow). After that, if they don't show up, it's not happening...

67F / DP 59F

29 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Probably a A/C day tomorrow but after that, no 90s really in site. Friday/Sat 60s with rain then 70s and 80s for some time.

I'll give the critters one more chance with rain Friday into Sat (maybe a storm tomorrow). After that, if they don't show up, it's not happening...

67F / DP 59F

They only exist in hotspots. They are in two locations only at Towhee, none in the woods or near the water. They like open areas with just a few scattered trees. Another observation today is they are popping up in random hotspots driving back, a couple days ago there were none on the way home. Mysterious critters this brood x. 

27 minutes ago, RedSky said:

They only exist in hotspots. They are in two locations only at Towhee, none in the woods or near the water. They like open areas with just a few scattered trees. Another observation today is they are popping up in random hotspots driving back, a couple days ago there were none on the way home. Mysterious critters this brood x. 

Millions if not billions were predicted in SE PA....we were the hot spot. They may have a more specific hotspot(s) around the area but damn the majority of us should have seen at least one with such a large volume? Just 1. I'm calling Herb....

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, Birds~69 said:

Millions if not billions were predicted in SE PA....we were the hot spot. They may have a more specific hotspot(s) around the area but damn the majority of us should have seen at least one with such a large volume? Just 1. I'm calling Herb....

Better yell really loud...

15 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I remember ripping that onto 8-track tape.   I think it fit on one 8-track (all of 3 channels and most of the 4th).  I may still have it in a crate in the basement.  Don't have anything to play it on. :D

Although vintage, 8-tracks were a horrible breakthrough in technology back in the day. The idea of breaking a song in half (and stop) so it could click to the next track (then resume) was idiotic and ruined the vibe. I had Doors, Zeppelin, Floyd 8 tracks and the player would eventually eat them, it was just a matter of time. Complete fail...

Most humid/DP day so far (Hum 97% / DP 66F) and uncomfortable. Temp only 67F so if we hit 90F w/this DP it's going to feel super muggy. Hopefully we're rewarded w/some T-Boomers....  

DP2.jpg

• Weenie 1

6 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Although vintage, 8-tracks were a horrible breakthrough in technology back in the day. The idea of breaking a song in half (and stop) so it could click to the next track (then resume) was idiotic and ruined the vibe. I had Doors, Zeppelin, Floyd 8 tracks and the player would eventually eat them, it was just a matter of time. Complete fail...

Most humid/DP day so far (Hum 97% / DP 66F) and uncomfortable. Temp only 67F so if we hit 90F w/this DP it's going to feel super muggy. Hopefully we're rewarded w/some T-Boomers....  

DP2.jpg

It was the "portability factor" as they were pushing them for use in cars.  Of course the cassette was the deathknell of the 8-track. :lol:

SPC just issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch -

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 206
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
245 PM EDT WED MAY 26 2021

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 206 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC011-017-025-029-045-077-089-091-095-101-270200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0206.210526T1845Z-210527T0200Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

BERKS                BUCKS               CARBON
CHESTER              DELAWARE            LEHIGH
MONROE               MONTGOMERY          NORTHAMPTON
PHILADELPHIA
$$

NJC001-003-005-007-009-011-013-015-017-019-021-023-025-027-029-
031-033-035-037-039-041-270200-

NJ
.    NEW JERSEY COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ATLANTIC             BERGEN              BURLINGTON
CAMDEN               CAPE MAY            CUMBERLAND
ESSEX                GLOUCESTER          HUDSON
HUNTERDON            MERCER              MIDDLESEX
MONMOUTH             MORRIS              OCEAN
PASSAIC              SALEM               SOMERSET
SUSSEX               UNION               WARREN
$$

DEC001-003-005-270200-

DE
.    DELAWARE COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

KENT                 NEW CASTLE          SUSSEX
$$

My low this morning was 63 (a bit warmer than the past 2 mornings) but the humidity was fierce and had some fog.

Currently a partly cloudy and hazy 89 with a dp bopping between 71 and 72. :blink:

Low Level lapse rates are extremely steep right now, close to 9 C/km. Mid-level lapse rates are meh (as usual, when are we gonna get a decent EML plume to roll in one of these days?). Shear is weak and SRH is meager. But LI is decent. It's a wind event type of day, so meh no TORS but I'm here for at least the first "severe" storm of the season.

• Weenie 1

Pretty decent gust front went through and now it's raining big, fat drops. Not pouring, though. Hearing constant rolling thunder to the north.

I think that was it. I hope there's more rain on the back side since what fell was pretty anemic. Just enough to wet everything but far from a soaker.