• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

Hit 91 today (so far) a couple times - just after 2 pm and then just after ~3:30 pm. Amazing that the low this morning here was 72 and this is May.  Will see how robust the cold front is when it drops down into the area. 

Currently bopping between 89 & 90 and mostly sunny, with some cumulus starting to roll in from the north and west.

6 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Hit 91 today (so far) a couple times - just after 2 pm and then just after ~3:30 pm. Amazing that the low this morning here was 72 and this is May.  Will see how robust the cold front is when it drops down into the area. 

Currently bopping between 89 & 90 and mostly sunny, with some cumulus starting to roll in from the north and west.

It was 73F here at 2am early this morning and I doubt I dropped into the 60s. I see Philly hanging around 70/low70s tomorrow w/burbs in the upper 60s....great stuff.

A/C goes off once it gets dark around here tonight...expected low upper 50s to 60F. 

87F

• Weenie 1

25 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Millions/billions of Cicada's in Haycock township out by Nockamixon lake, opposite of dry slot heavy at times and low visibility lol

Here to the west absolutely nada 

I really may make a trip up that way, haven't been up around Nockamixon in years. I'm 90% convinced I'll get screwed around this area with very limited critters.

Looking forward to clouds and 60s tomorrow...

86F

• Weenie 1

Don’t mean to change the subject fellas but I was just informed that the mega millions worth 515 Million was sold in my backyard in Levittown Pennsylvania at the 7-Eleven Trenton and Woodburn Road for those who familiar with the area  

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

I really may make a trip up that way, haven't been up around Nockamixon in years. I'm 90% convinced I'll get screwed around this area with very limited critters.

Looking forward to clouds and 60s tomorrow...

86F

At lake Towhee specifically it's biblical I was impressed even at my old age. Never got em like that in Horsham it's worth a trip.

9 minutes ago, RedSky said:

At lake Towhee specifically it's biblical I was impressed even at my old age. Never got em like that in Horsham it's worth a trip.

Ok, camped there one time, I know where that is...damn close to Knockamixon. I went to shooting range up there as well which I think closed...

79F...A/C going off soon.

• Weenie 1

The grass has that crunchy, August feel to it as you walk on it, some lawns starting to brown up already. I'm not mowing again until we get some rain.

Besides that...beautiful morning out there compared to the last few, 62F/DP 52F.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

The grass has that crunchy, August feel to it as you walk on it, some lawns starting to brown up already. I'm not mowing again until we get some rain.

Besides that...beautiful morning out there compared to the last few, 62F/DP 52F.

I let mine grow for two weeks before mowing it last Friday, and honestly I probably could have left the front (full afternoon sun) for another week. The back (half sun, half shade) was already going to seed though. My wife wants to set up sprinklers but I'm against it as I don't feel it's environmentally responsible (nor friendly to our water bill).

According to the GFS, it looks like this period of high pressure "doming" over the MA should end by Wednesday with more a more zonal pattern setting up for the foreseeable future. That should help our drought condition a little bit.

• Weenie 1

My low this morning was 12 degrees cooler at 60, than yesterday's low.  Took a little while to get there but it did.  Also had some sprinkles early this morning, enough to moisten the pavement, as some kind of sea breeze front pushed inland and washed out over the city and immediate bordering western 'burbs. Was kinda cool to watch the progress on radar.  Currently overcast and 66.

65F / DP 45F at 1:30pm. Rather dark clouds around and temps have not moved much.

Memorial day weekend (Fri-Sun) looks like temps around 70F (Sat 60s) clouds/sun and a chance of a shower(s)...Memorial day itself temps in the 70s w/more sun. Probably see some overnight temps in the 40s...

4 hours ago, JTA66 said:

Maybe the crunch is from the massive amount of cicada shells?

Hanging at 65F...

• Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Maybe the crunch is from the massive amount of cicada shells?

Hanging at 65F...

lol...not here. Brood X is the biggest bust since 3/5/2001.

Seriously, this confirms my memory of 2004, these guys aren't imby. Need to wait until July for the annual cicadas to show up (along with cicada bees).

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

lol...not here. Brood X is the biggest bust since 3/5/2001.

Seriously, this confirms my memory of 2004, these guys aren't imby. Need to wait until July for the annual cicadas to show up (along with cicada bees).

Yeah, nothing here either...I was just being a smartass. However, I'd rather bust on critters than a big ass snowstorm.

No memory of 1994 either. Times are different now, media (social media) like to super overhype trivial things now. And local news...ratings, ratings...Glenn hasn't really mentioned cicadas in recent days.

Do you, Redsky or anyone w/age remember the Japanese Beetle infestation in the late 70s or so? Those F'ers were everywhere! People had those Bag a Bug things hanging all over the place, front/back lawn and they would be full...   

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

21 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yeah, nothing here either...I was just being a smartass. However, I'd rather bust on critters than a big ass snowstorm.

No memory of 1994 either. Times are different now, media (social media) like to super overhype trivial things now. And local news...ratings, ratings...Glenn hasn't really mentioned cicadas in recent days.

Do you, Redsky or anyone w/age remember the Japanese Beetle infestation in the late 70s or so? Those F'ers were everywhere! People had those Bag a Bug things hanging all over the place, front/back lawn and they would be full...   

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

I put one of those traps out to keep them from eating the silks on my corn in 2004 and it pulled in all the beetles in the county then I REALLY had a problem lol

14 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I put one of those traps out to keep them from eating the silks on my corn in 2004 and it pulled in all the beetles in the county then I REALLY had a problem lol

I really haven't seen them in years...decades? Maybe a few? But in the lates 70's my area was drilled...Dad was pissed because they ate his garden to hell.

Glenn's 5pm Burbs forecast...rain percentage by day. Looks like Sat will be mostly in the 50s...

burbs.jpg

rain chance.jpg

The only thing those Japanese Beetle bags did was attract more Japanese Beetles to the yard. Then the Gypsy Moths were going to deforest PA. Now we have Stink Bugs, Lantern Flies and perhaps murder hornets on the way. 

65F/DP 52F

• Weenie 1

19 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

1b.jpg

2b.jpg

Ha!  This was a bright idea - put concentrated Japanese beetle pheromones in a trap bag and attract/capture all those beetles in your yard, and from your neighbor's yard, and from every yard on the block. :lol:   After awhile, I did hear garden shows recommend the traps be placed "far away" from your yard but good luck with that in a typical neighborhood unless it abuts some woods...

I know the year my sis first moved into her current house (2003) and tried to start a veggie garden, her beans were just covered in them.  They were literally 2 and 3 deep, one on top of another, sitting on the string bean leaves (both bush and vine type).  A year or so later she put out milky spore (which was supposed to kill the grubs) and eventually they seemed to have disappeared a year or two after that, and so far, ever since (knock on wood). 

I do also remember seeing one of those red-eyed cicadas by her shed that is next to a wooded creek (either a 13-year or 17-year one) but never the swarms of them.   I figured that over the years, so many people treated their yards with all kinds of stuff to kill weeds and grubs, the stuff probably got the cicada larva too.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

The only thing those Japanese Beetle bags did was attract more Japanese Beetles to the yard. Then the Gypsy Moths were going to deforest PA. Now we have Stink Bugs, Lantern Flies and perhaps murder hornets on the way. 

65F/DP 52F

You forgot the "Africanized bees" (that were WAY before the stinkbugs, "murder hornets", and lanternflies).   All those "killer bee" movies were the result of those bees.

(based off the scifi book of the same name - I think I still have a paperback copy of it on a bookcase somewhere :lol:)

As an obs, it was cooler this morning than yesterday morning (low was 57) and it's currently 70 and overcast.  The dews are a bit higher too and at 57 here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

You forgot the "Africanized bees" (that were WAY before the stinkbugs, "murder hornets", and lanternflies).   All those "killer bee" movies were the result of those bees.

(based off the scifi book of the same name - I think I still have a paperback copy of it on a bookcase somewhere :lol:)

As an obs, it was cooler this morning than yesterday morning (low was 57) and it's currently 70 and overcast.  The dews are a bit higher too and at 57 here.

I think I was 12 when that movie hit Prism one summer. I was convinced the clock was ticking for those of us in PA and we'd be running from swarms of killer bees by the 1990's.