Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Lots of farmers here and complaints of dryest soil in many years.

A zone of missed precip chances from upper Bucks through central Lehigh County.

Agree. The farmers know as well as I do and I am a soil scientist. The Mt Holly meteorologists need to take trips up to their northern forecast areas and see just how trees are blooming- like not.  Green grass- loving it. Deep rooted vegetation- signs of stress already. All of ABE precip has been hit and miss.  Spotty showers does not cut it They may have had two inches since April 7th but  their climatic data has also indicated no rainfall over .50 inch any given 24 hour period.  These spotty but brief showers just happen to be over ABE and is not an actual representation for the rest of the LV.   Thats bad for maintaining streamflow and growing crops.  There were many days in the past 30 days where ABE receives precip and I got zilch and I live 15 miles away. 

• Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

Agree. The farmers know as well as I do and I am a soil scientist. The Mt Holly meteorologists need to take trips up to their northern forecast areas and see just how trees are blooming- like not.  Green grass- loving it. Deep rooted vegetation- signs of stress already. All of ABE precip has been hit and miss.  Spotty showers does not cut it They may have had two inches since April 7th but  their climatic data has also indicated no rainfall over .50 inch any given 24 hour period.  These spotty but brief showers just happen to be over ABE and is not an actual representation for the rest of the LV.   Thats bad for maintaining streamflow and growing crops.  There were many days in the past 30 days where ABE receives precip and I got zilch and I live 15 miles away. 

What is interesting is the dryness achieved despite 2-3" water equivalent  snow pack available to melt off in early March

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

What is interesting is the dryness achieved despite 2-3" water equivalent  snow pack available to melt off in early March

the unusual dry humidities is sucking the mositure right out of the soil.  Three to five high  wind events in the last 30 days with humidity down near 20% can suck the soil moisture out real quick. Add cooler than normal weather, dry mid levels  with tons of virga, and no Gulf or Atlantic moisture and you are in the making of a serious drought.  Many farmers have just now tilled because they do not want to lose any more moisture out of the soil. And just think, we have another 1-2 weeks of this crappy weather pattern.  All I can say is the corn crop will be harvested late this year for sure and hopefully the heat and humidity come back.  If the weather pattern does not break soon, we will see drought watches issued. 

GRACE_RTZSM_20210503.png

• Weenie 1

I think there is a possibility of real drought in the LV in this pattern. Today is looking bleak and Sunday does not look too promising.

M’eh, it’s how we roll around here—stretches of dryness punctuated by periods of flooding rains.

But seriously, when was the last time our region was officially declared a drought? If it’s been in recent years, I’ve forgotten. I do recall maybe two summers ago it was wet until late July or so. Then the rest of that summer and fall were dry. I wanted to aerate and overseed but put it off because the ground was concrete.

• Weenie 1

.02" of rain for me- woopee. Nice rainbow last night because of the rain not reaching the ground. Mt Holly finally admitted into today's discussion what I have said already- dry mid levels are destroying their forecasts for precip in the LV.  Next storm SOS.  Precip falling in buckets in the Ohio Valley and then getting the door slammed in its face when entering the Susquehanna Valley area and veering up into  NY.  No warm air, no humidity.  Enjoy the next 1-2 weeks of typical Astoria Ca weather.  No real pattern change in the foreseeable future either.  May 17-18  it may hit 80 degrees on the GFS. No soil warming temps for awhile for sure. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, BBasile said:

Another lovely March day.  But....it did snow here on this day one year ago, so I guess it could be even more March.  

I remember that, I was out here at 12:30 am watching it turn from rain to snow. I think you were up for the festivities as well, and Birds~69 among others. This feels like a longer stretch of cool weather though, and I'm pretty sure we'll pay for it with endless days of humidity like we usually do, lol.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

I remember that, I was out here at 12:30 am watching it turn from rain to snow. I think you were up for the festivities as well, and Birds~69 among others. This feels like a longer stretch of cool weather though, and I'm pretty sure we'll pay for it with endless days of humidity like we usually do, lol.

Yep!  Still have the video of it.  Regardless of the May's weather, we're going to pay for it with endless summer humidity.  lol  Would just like to have May's normal weather for once.  Although, it seems like the current weather is the new normal for May.  

• Weenie 1

46 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Yep.

My whole goal right now is to postpone the Summer crap heat/humidity as long as possible. I don't care if it's cloudy/drizzle 50s for weeks. But in the end, we know we'll fry at some point.

Perfect day out there now, 49F / Cloudy w/some drizzle at 4pm.  

pd.jpg

• Weenie 1

The cold of azz is unreal for May. East Nantmeal's  cold May 9th should have been record crushing but no because it was even colder with snow a year ago. 

Heat is off here for construction purposes for weeks because naturally you don't need heat in this part of the world in May lol

• Weenie 1

On 5/8/2021 at 12:56 PM, JTA66 said:

M’eh, it’s how we roll around here—stretches of dryness punctuated by periods of flooding rains.

But seriously, when was the last time our region was officially declared a drought? If it’s been in recent years, I’ve forgotten. I do recall maybe two summers ago it was wet until late July or so. Then the rest of that summer and fall were dry. I wanted to aerate and overseed but put it off because the ground was concrete.

2012 was really dry but 2011 was like the wettest year on record so I don't know if we ever officially got into drought territory. Have to go back to 2001 + 2002 where the region was under 40" of rain in back to back years leading to moderate drought condition. 1997 + 1998 is the last drought that was actually fairly severe with back to back years of 31" and 32" at PHL... average is 47" per year.