• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2021 OBS Thread

Rtd208

I have to rant: I am so tired of this ugly weather pattern.  Everyday- 40-60% chance of showers/t storms that dwindle to a light shower or sprinkles or nothing. The radar is massively overblown everyday with virga. Cooler temps/cloud cover with absolutely no SE wind fetch to fuel afternoon t- storms. Here it is in May and I have only seen one minor t shower thus far. The pollen count has to be the highest ever recorded for eastern PA right now. I even have pollen in the middle of the house. The car has more pollen on it than salt in the winter the last two weeks.

The LV has less than .25  inch of rain in nearly twenty days.  According to the climate data, 1.22 in of precip for April- what a joke. My grass is actually showing drought stress  from the scorching dry winds of 20-30% humidities blowing at 50 mph.  I wish Mt. Holly would  emphasize  in the discussion when they expect this crappy weather pattern to break. We are heading for some serious drought conditions if the pattern does not break in the next 30 days and especially if the GOM does send up its moisture in our direction.   I was really hoping for the coastal this weekend but that fell flat on its face. good luck

• Weenie 1

4 hours ago, Albedoman said:

I have to rant: I am so tired of this ugly weather pattern.  Everyday- 40-60% chance of showers/t storms that dwindle to a light shower or sprinkles or nothing. The radar is massively overblown everyday with virga. Cooler temps/cloud cover with absolutely no SE wind fetch to fuel afternoon t- storms. Here it is in May and I have only seen one minor t shower thus far. The pollen count has to be the highest ever recorded for eastern PA right now. I even have pollen in the middle of the house. The car has more pollen on it than salt in the winter the last two weeks.

The LV has less than .25  inch of rain in nearly twenty days.  According to the climate data, 1.22 in of precip for April- what a joke. My grass is actually showing drought stress  from the scorching dry winds of 20-30% humidities blowing at 50 mph.  I wish Mt. Holly would  emphasize  in the discussion when they expect this crappy weather pattern to break. We are heading for some serious drought conditions if the pattern does not break in the next 30 days and especially if the GOM does send up its moisture in our direction.   I was really hoping for the coastal this weekend but that fell flat on its face. good luck

Agree with some of your points. The other days showers amounted to off and on sprinkles that amounted to not even .10" which combined with the absolute peak of pollen season created a dried pollen icing on the car which took half a newspaper to rub off the windows. Today I was thinking finally some decent showers to wash away the accumulating pollen but so far not even .10" so the pollen continues to collect like green snow. Currently watching a new slug of showers that has dissipated reaching the region....

But I will have to see a legit drought to believe it. We are in the age of the deluge a huge rainstorm or hyper wet streak always comes along to cancel a budding drought. 

* On cue with the recent dryness the EPS says we are looking at a wet May

• Weenie 1

well, almost a half of an inch last night woopee. Getting the green /yellow off the car.  Now I need a windswept t- storm in the next 24 hours to get the crap off the house windows/siding.  The grass will take off growing now too.  With this much pollen around, lighting will be fierce in any t- storm we get too. The air should really be really clean on Thursday- linen fresh days as in the old days when my mother would hang out laundry after these nasty pollen days and the sheets would smell so good.

76 and slightly breezy out, 67% RH. Really wish I'd built our fire ring already, but that project is a couple of weekends out at least. It's super pleasant sitting out on the deck though.

I was hoping we'd get some more rain tonight since it's been so dry here. Hopefully we get a good soaking tomorrow.

• Weenie 1

27 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Finally enough rain to wash the pollen away 

Radar looked excellent for some downpours and decent showers yet somehow, someway by hook or crook it split again and gapped the upper county regions, radar estimates .20" :huh:

Dry dirt by walls of buildings etc. 

• Weenie 1

48 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Radar looked excellent for some downpours and decent showers yet somehow, someway by hook or crook it split again and gapped the upper county regions, radar estimates .20" :huh:

Dry dirt by walls of buildings etc. 

Kind of similar out my way in NJ.  Just .27"  Hopefully something pops up later.

C,Mon Mt Holly. You are worried about ponding and flooding and the soil moisture is high in todays discussion?  You must be measuring the soil mositure on riverbanks. More than half of your forecast area has received less than one  inch of rain in almost 30 days. Who cares about the PWAT if the temps cannot barely break 60. More than 3/4 of the precip falling  on the radar the last three weeks is virga  as the mid-levels are so dry. Lets talk about record cold highs chances on Saturday or analogs comparing this dry and cold May weather pattern to previous years in the discussion - at least something more realistic.  I really think after memorial day, I will finally see a decent t-storm at this rate. How about the last time that May recorded less than one thunderstorm stats.? 

One thing that we`ll need to keep an eye on is the threat for heavy
rain across SEPA. Soil moistures are running high there and the 1
hour FFG from MARFC suggests that we`ll only need an inch of rain to
see flooding. I dont think we`ll get that, but some of the hires
CAM`s are suggesting that the slow moving storms could have decent
rain rates. PWAT`s aren`t high (0.7") but with slow moving storms
and the potential for higher rain rates we may see some ponding of
water and or flooding in areas of poor drainage.

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, Albedoman said:

C,Mon Mt Holly. You are worried about ponding and flooding and the soil moisture is high in todays discussion?  You must be measuring the soil mositure on riverbanks. More than half of your forecast area has received less than one  inch of rain in almost 30 days. Who cares about the PWAT if the temps cannot barely break 60. More than 3/4 of the precip falling  on the radar the last three weeks is virga  as the mid-levels are so dry. Lets talk about record cold highs chances on Saturday or analogs comparing this dry and cold May weather pattern to previous years in the discussion - at least something more realistic.  I really think after memorial day, I will finally see a decent t-storm at this rate. How about the last time that May recorded less than one thunderstorm stats.? 

One thing that we`ll need to keep an eye on is the threat for heavy
rain across SEPA. Soil moistures are running high there and the 1
hour FFG from MARFC suggests that we`ll only need an inch of rain to
see flooding. I dont think we`ll get that, but some of the hires
CAM`s are suggesting that the slow moving storms could have decent
rain rates. PWAT`s aren`t high (0.7") but with slow moving storms
and the potential for higher rain rates we may see some ponding of
water and or flooding in areas of poor drainage.

According to the KABE climate data, since April 7th, we've seen almost 2" of precip. It's definitely not wet here, but certainly not "drought" worthy. Is it below normal precip? Yes, technically. KABE averages like 3+" in the month of April. But we've seen our fair share of precip to keep things moist and green