Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 General Discussion

Hoosier

30 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Still in the 60s with 40 mph wind gusts from the south, and dewpoint of 54.  Def feels like spring this evening. :D

I didn't get much rain from this as a weaker part of the line moved through Cedar Rapids, but we did get a very brief downpour.  It's great to take a whiff of the mild, rainy spring air.  I love that smell.

• Like 2

Not much rain here, but a lot of wind.  Gusts woke me up shaking the house.  It was as nerve wracking as a severe t-storm, just without the lighting.  Judging by the sound probably a 55mph gust.  Enough to have me thinking about tree branches coming down.  It was obviously a warm wind as now even the piles and snow forts are gone.

Beating an old record in style

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO IL
1240 AM CST THU MAR 11 2021

...RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE SET AT CHICAGO-OHARE...

THE LOW TEMPERATURE OF 57 DEGREES AT CHICAGO-O`HARE ON WEDNESDAY
SET A NEW RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR MARCH 10TH. THE
PREVIOUS RECORD OF 52 DEGREES OCCURRED IN 1876.
  • Like 3

Weds felt surprisingly cold despite reaching 60F since it was gloomy, but the big day yesterday was fantastic and was a nice homage to the kick-off to the greatest 10 days of weather I've ever experienced 9 years ago on the 11th. I didn't reach 68F but got to 64F with far more sun than I expected which made for the first true Spring day. The high winds didn't ruin it either. The clouds had "character" again.

My snow pack was slightly above avg before the melt and with yesterday's high winds with 64F temps it was the fastest melt I've seen maybe ever but certainly since 14 years ago same time. I'm down to 10 inches depth from 40 inches just days ago. I wish I took photos each day to compare.

Today's high was 6C, I've surpassed it already at 7C! Wet snow flakes for later were removed :D.

I believe it's been touched on but we could really use some rain locally. A moderate drought has developed just to my south and southwest. In South Bend, we've only seen 0.01" of precipitation this month. Fulton County, IN, two counties south of me, has declared a burn ban due to drought conditions. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Just a trace of precip and snow has fallen so far this month at Detroit, which makes it the driest March 1 through 15 on record. This is directly on the heels of February tying the record with 16 days of measurable snow.

Yeah, pretty dry period. We ruined it with 0.2" of sleet here yesterday (on 0.09" of liquid), which unfortunately counts as snow. The dry spell will be broken as we're looking at up to an inch of qpf Wednesday night and Thursday with mmmaybe a couple more stat padding tenths as the precip ends.

• Like 1

I think the dry high to the northeast will eat away the northern edge up here in Michigan... again.  Would prefer either precip or sunshine and real warmth.  Can't get either.  Marginal cold + cloudy + dry = zzzzzzz.   February was the only marginally interesting weather month in ages.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IWXwx said:

Yeah, pretty dry period. We ruined it with 0.2" of sleet here yesterday (on 0.09" of liquid), which unfortunately counts as snow. The dry spell will be broken as we're looking at up to an inch of qpf Wednesday night and Thursday with mmmaybe a couple more stat padding tenths as the precip ends.

Huge change from snowing nearly daily in February. February's deep snowpack did peak at 1.6" water content but once that slowly released itself into the ground we have had no measurable precipitation

Fwiw, I am leaning toward a changeover to wet snow on/near the northern flank of the precip on Thursday.  It may be rate dependent but precip rates do look mod/hvy with freezing levels/wet bulbs getting just low enough to support some snow.  Somewhat low confidence.

26 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Fwiw, I am leaning toward a changeover to wet snow on/near the northern flank of the precip on Thursday.  It may be rate dependent but precip rates do look mod/hvy with freezing levels/wet bulbs getting just low enough to support some snow.  Somewhat low confidence.

Haven't looked since yesterday but the Euro was showing 45-50mph gust potential Thu morning.  Would look pretty legit if it were to flip over to heavy snow.

8 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Huge change from snowing nearly daily in February. February's deep snowpack did peak at 1.6" water content but once that slowly released itself into the ground we have had no measurable precipitation

There was right around 2.0" of water in the snowpack here before it all melted.  This winter has had a distinct lack of rain though.  What moisture we did get was mostly snow and mostly in the month of February.  Overall it has been a dry winter.  December-February had lots of days with measurable precip, but very light amounts most of the time.  Now March has been downright dry.

• Like 1

6th day now that the DVN radar is down for maintenance.  Wish they would have finished ahead of schedule like they have in the past, but not in the cards this time unfortunately.  At least severe isn't threatening while it's down.  

HRRR shows over an inch of rain for the QC, Euro and other models around 0.5-0.7".  Nothing major but a nice little soaker.

EDIT:  Radar is back in service. :tomato:

• Like 2