Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2021 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

12 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

First time... and great. I honestly don’t even care at this point, I’ll swim if I have too. I’ve had like 4 outings planned this year and zero have worked out so far 

I'm not a golf snob either. Get out when you can. I used to play Norwood in a league. Had my one and only hole in one there. Watch out for the roots :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, kdxken said:

I'm not a golf snob either. Get out when you can. I used to play Norwood in a league. Had my one and only hole in one there. Watch out for the roots :)

Did you buy a round of drinks? My partner got one on a league night and it cost him over $300, they have a pool now where you pay $30 and if you get a hole in one you get $100 plus the bar tabs paid so you go home with money instead of a credit card bill.

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Did you buy a round of drinks? My partner got one on a league night and it cost him over $300, they have a pool now where you pay $30 and if you get a hole in one you get $100 plus the bar tabs paid so you go home with money instead of a credit card bill.

When I got mine, it was a night when it was raining in the surrounding area. I went to the course anyway figuring I’d at least have a beer and a burger since my wife never expects me home on Tuesday nights. The weather kept the number of people on the course to about 10 or 11. We had a cash insurance pool and the club’s insurance policy paid out $300 in pro shop credit. It worked out well for me. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

I did. Fortunately it had an old timey bar with pitchers of beer. Well worth it.

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

So what do ya’ll think for an outing/gtg next month? I think the Ranch would be ideal...centrally located for many. Although prob not ideal for SEMA folk.

It would be good to get 8 and play 2 foursomes but even 6 would work with 3 threesomes...or just one group of foursome lol. Whatever we can get.

Depending on the timing, I would contemplate making the drive from NNE to do that.

21 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

So what do ya’ll think for an outing/gtg next month? I think the Ranch would be ideal...centrally located for many. Although prob not ideal for SEMA folk.

It would be good to get 8 and play 2 foursomes but even 6 would work with 3 threesomes...or just one group of foursome lol. Whatever we can get.

Im in, I like the Ranch, been there a couple times.

We could do Crumpin Fox too if that is better for  more folk. I don’t mind the drive to play a good course. 

Open to other ideas...

I like crump a lot, it's my closest course but due to the cost not my "home" course. Try to play it a few times a year. My son works there, and when we go out, he's free and I'm $25. Definitely a great deal.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 4:33 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Lol. I have not played yet and probably won’t do so until May. With my new job and my son starting tball, I doubt I will get out much this season, unfortunately. Maybe that will be a good thing for my game lol. I’ll just live vicariously through you guys. 

On 4/28/2021 at 5:39 AM, kdxken said:

You may surprise yourself. Sometimes when you have no expectations you just hit the ball.

Wish that were true for me, when my son was young I didn’t play a lot with coaching different sports year round  between practice and games, my golf was not good, hopefully your experience will better

11 hours ago, S&P said:

Wish that were true for me, when my son was young I didn’t play a lot with coaching different sports year round  between practice and games, my golf was not good, hopefully your experience will better

I’m getting out tomorrow now for my first round so we’ll see. I do have a net in my garage that I practice over the winter on but it’s not the range nor a round so it will be good to get out tomorrow. Low expectations.

13 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

I'm down for a golf gtg... just need some notice.

Played a quick 9 this morning, didn't have time to take any swings prior to the first tee. Double, bogey, then settled down.

Broke 40 for the first time this year, which was nice.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Dumb pros don't even know what its like. They workout, get a message, spends hours practicing before their round. Us beer drinkers slam the brakes in the parking lot, throw on our spikes and sprint to the first tee. Maybe slam back a miller lite and then grip it and rip it. An other and a few doubles later, we shoot +2 on our final 12 holes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

So I was even after 6 holes feeling confident in my new tweaks and then I unraveled afterwards, which is pretty typical. Shot an 86.

Not bad first time out, I'd take it, I was high 40's for 9 my first time, bad start then had a nice run in between, the beginning and end as not so good,

Snuck in my first 9 holes yesterday afternoon, although I've been to the range a lot this spring.  There is an old saying in fishing that if you catch a fish on your first cast it's going to bring about bad luck.  Well...I birdied the first hole and things promptly went downhill from there.  Had two drives land in wet bunkers, one of which was a bunker on the WRONG fairway (somehow managed bogey on that hole).  Had a nice 4-putt on a short par 4 after almost driving the green.  A real dumpster fire 49 to start the season.

13 minutes ago, QCD17 said:

Snuck in my first 9 holes yesterday afternoon, although I've been to the range a lot this spring.  There is an old saying in fishing that if you catch a fish on your first cast it's going to bring about bad luck.  Well...I birdied the first hole and things promptly went downhill from there.  Had two drives land in wet bunkers, one of which was a bunker on the WRONG fairway (somehow managed bogey on that hole).  Had a nice 4-putt on a short par 4 after almost driving the green.  A real dumpster fire 49 to start the season.

Lol. Kiss of death to birdie the first hole.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Lol. Kiss of death to birdie the first hole.

When I joined my first golf league I didn't have a handicap. I shot a 33 for 9  first time out and that established my handicap for 10 rounds. Didn't win a match.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

When I joined my first golf league I didn't have a handicap. I shot a 33 for 9  first time out and that established my handicap for 10 rounds. Didn't win a match.

I was in a golf league in college and my handicap for the 9 was a 3 (lowered to a 2 if I played against commish). I always finished near bottom of league individually but near top with my partner since we were getting team strokes off my handicap.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

I was in a golf league in college and my handicap for the 9 was a 3 (lowered to a 2 if I played against commish). I always finished near bottom of league individually but near top with my partner since we were getting team strokes off my handicap.

You dinged and donged, we play similar format, we all stroke off the lowest handicap.

• 2 weeks later...

Buddy of mine assists running a Monday-night league at Patriot Golf Course in Bedford, MA. 9-hole track. He runs league with his soon-to-be father-in law who is also the course superintendent. First time meeting/playing with someone in that position. Was an interesting look into the mind of the person in charge of maintaining, updating the course. Every bunker I ended up in was "yeah we installed that one 6 months ago for that exact reason."  "Sorry about how hard the sand is, can't do much with all the rain we've had."

I thought the greens were in great condition and rolling well for how wet its been and he was constantly saying "this is about half the speed I want them at."  Was like damn, these are fast enough.

Short course. only protection are hazards and fast greens.

26 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

Buddy of mine assists running a Monday-night league at Patriot Golf Course in Bedford, MA. 9-hole track. He runs league with his soon-to-be father-in law who is also the course superintendent. First time meeting/playing with someone in that position. Was an interesting look into the mind of the person in charge of maintaining, updating the course. Every bunker I ended up in was "yeah we installed that one 6 months ago for that exact reason."  "Sorry about how hard the sand is, can't do much with all the rain we've had."

I thought the greens were in great condition and rolling well for how wet its been and he was constantly saying "this is about half the speed I want them at."  Was like damn, these are fast enough.

Short course. only protection are hazards and fast greens.

The traps at the course I play are in terrible condition, greens were slow as hell, imagine putting on a green in a professional tourney? They're like putting on a pool table.