• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2021 Golf Thread

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

With the Feb snow melting and the PGA already in full swing...it’s that time. Discuss anything golf related here.

Let’s try to get together in May for an outing. Eight players would be ideal but even a foursome would be good. The Ranch is probably the best and centralized for SNE but I’m willing to travel further north or east.

Enjoy the season.

18 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I need a new driver, don't like the Cally I bought two years ago, you guys have a favorite?

I’ve always been a TM fan. While I rarely use my driver because I spray it everywhere and can rip my 3W-5W’s more consistently...I do like the feel of it. It is all about Personal preference though. 

I always buy my equipment used online after testing it in person so if I end up not liking it, I’m not invested in it as much.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

I've got a ping G30, 9 degree that needs a shaft. (Don't ask). Otherwise it's a club that I loved. I'd send it to you if you were interested.

Yeah, I'm down for a golf gtg as long as work permits.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Had that happen once too, don't ask

25 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I played a round at Pebble Beach off whites on the simulator. It was pretty cool. Putting was hard though and I played bad.

It's always fun playing courses you know really well. I can remember one time Ekster ended up on Carmel Beach and refused the drop. He couldn't get it over the cliff and back onto the course.

• Like 2

On 2/25/2021 at 7:42 PM, DavisStraight said:

I need a new driver, don't like the Cally I bought two years ago, you guys have a favorite?

I am broken record with this, but dont buy a driver off the rack whichever brand, get fitted, shaft is more important than the head , esp for driver. Most courses have fitt8ng events or go to a golf shop which will fit you with all brands. Last May/June got fitted and bought the year two titleist. So you can still get a deal and get fitted 

1 hour ago, S&P said:

I am broken record with this, but dont buy a driver off the rack whichever brand, get fitted, shaft is more important than the head , esp for driver. Most courses have fitt8ng events or go to a golf shop which will fit you with all brands. Last May/June got fitted and bought the year two titleist. So you can still get a deal and get fitted 

100% in agreement.

I got clubs stolen out of my car when it got broken into in 2012 so I had some insurance money to replace the lost clubs. I went to the best local fitter and they had me down to three drivers. The top two (Ping G30 and Callaway Razr Hawk) gave me an additional 30 yards. 

2 hours ago, S&P said:

I always get fitted when I buy clubs

On 2/28/2021 at 9:27 AM, DavisStraight said:

I always get fitted when I buy clubs

A few of the guys I play with who purchased over the last couple of years went with Calloway Epic more so than any other brand. They are all long and only got longer with that choice. Calloway does resell used clubs,  One option is the get fitted and see if you can match on the used sight if your looking to save a couple of bucks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, S&P said:

A few of the guys I play with who purchased over the last couple of years went with Calloway Epic more so than any other brand. They are all long and only got longer with that choice. Calloway does resell used clubs,  One option is the get fitted and see if you can match on the used sight if your looking to save a couple of bucks.

My golf partner has the Epic, its a nice club, he hits it well.

16 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

is Dick's Sporting Goods a good enough place to buy a set of clubs? i am getting back into golf after a several year hiatus, and my current clubs are super old. like 1960's Wilson Staff old, hand-me-downs.

Sure, I've bought a couple sets there and woods, now we have a Golfers Warehouse too but seems to be about the same prices so I buy at both places.

• Thanks 1

On 2/25/2021 at 10:44 PM, Professional Lurker said:

I've got a ping G30, 9 degree that needs a shaft. (Don't ask). Otherwise it's a club that I loved. I'd send it to you if you were interested.

Yeah, I'm down for a golf gtg as long as work permits.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

On 2/26/2021 at 6:12 PM, DavisStraight said:

Had that happen once too, don't ask

Just tell them when they ask that you closed the trunk on the shaft, When i'm repairing clubs and re shafting them i can usually tell what happened depending on how much shaft is left in the hosel ...............;)

10 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

is Dick's Sporting Goods a good enough place to buy a set of clubs? i am getting back into golf after a several year hiatus, and my current clubs are super old. like 1960's Wilson Staff old, hand-me-downs.

It is but I recommend hitting clubs in person, demo’s, and then finding them online used. You’ll save a good amount imo. For anyone who doesn’t play every week with handi below 10 I find the idea of buying brand new clubs a bit of a waste. Of course if a couple hundred bucks doesn’t matter then fire away. 

• Thanks 1

Looking forward to the tee and ski season.  I managed to get out in early June last year for some laps up on Mount Washington on a saturday, out on my friends boat saturday night and golf down in Bellingham, MA sunday afternoon!  Hope I can get out and do it again this spring. 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 6:13 PM, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It is but I recommend hitting clubs in person, demo’s, and then finding them online used. You’ll save a good amount imo. For anyone who doesn’t play every week with handi below 10 I find the idea of buying brand new clubs a bit of a waste. Of course if a couple hundred bucks doesn’t matter then fire away. 

The Dicks near me has an indoor range where you can try clubs and get fitted. Probably not open now with covid, I  noticed the closed the putting area.

Yeah one thing to consider when you’re buying new clubs is to see if your local club/pro will let you demo sets. I am lucky enough to have a relationship with the pro at one of the local clubs I am not a member at . I talk to him and when I was in the market I went to hi. First and he let me play with ping, titleist and Calloway. He set up a fitting with the titlist rep and gave me a deal when I bought through him. I didn’t have to but no5ing brats actually paying a round or two with a set before you buy. I have done that before with drivers as well. One point I demo’d a driver liked it so much I just bought the demo at a deep discount