• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Long Range Discussion

stormtracker

This is the first time that anyone has complained about posting ‘non-winter like’ forecast analyses in the Long Range thread. Am I wrong?  Chill out folks. We have had a pretty decent winter -or at least one with opportunities.  The possible few flakes ‘we’ could see Friday keep this place interesting.  It’s March!   

• Confused 1

March is coming, it's supposed to be windy!

It has been surprisingly windless this entire winter season!  Last time we had decent wind was Christmas eve/early Christmas AM.

A repeat of the March 02, 2018 event is fine as long as the winds are out of the east! Superstorm II?  As the saying goes you can wish in one hand...

March is coming, it's supposed to be windy!
It has been surprisingly windless this entire winter season!  Last time we had decent wind was Christmas eve/early Christmas AM.
A repeat of the March 02, 2018 event is fine as long as the winds are out of the east! Superstorm II?  As the saying goes you can wish in one hand...

That windstorm was horrible. Hated every single minute of that. Too many big trees lurking over my house.

3 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

That windstorm was horrible. Hated every single minute of that. Too many big trees lurking over my house.

Yes it was bad here too, legit sustained tropical storm force average wind for a few hours with frequent gusts over 60. 

I have a rule here, if a tree is within the danger zone of the house it gets trimmed/topped or felled.  All trees kept in check with hatchet, axe, and saw! :)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

With you 100% there -- we didn't sustain any damage in the March 2018 wind event but neighbors all around us did (as evidenced below).

3 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Yes it was bad here too, legit sustained tropical storm force average wind for a few hours with frequent gusts over 60. 

I have a rule here, if a tree is within the danger zone of the house it gets trimmed/topped or felled.  All trees kept in check with hatchet, axe, and saw! :-)

We generally follow the same rule...but I've got a 100' plus tall oak in the corner of the backyard that, if it fell, would likely do so into my neighbor's yard, but still.

Pics of two different neighbors' situations in the aftermath of the March 2018 event. The right side second floor of the beige house was nearly bisected by the pine tree, which snapped off about six feet up the trunk. The white house avoided major damage to two cars in the driveway when their carport caught the weight/brunt of that fallen pine.

MVIMG_20180303_152425a.jpg.acc02032ee5dc18ecad03fd364786b6c.jpgIMG_20180305_180058a.jpg.7dad6c4960d25b67fb934820ea97e3f2.jpg
MVIMG_20180302_154524a.jpg.e98857d78d827aa6b359dfe005e35e61.jpg

• Sad 1

Yeah pines tend to fracture like that in severe winds.  We lost a perfectly healthy spruce in Sandy.
We had one that lost its top and it came right across the roof.  I was in the kitchen and heard the wind roaring and then heard a ruckus and looked up through the skylights in the kitchen.  It looked like a scene in twister seeing what looked like an entire christmas tree flying completely airborne!  I poked my head out to get a better look and had to immediately close the door as I was getting pummeled with needles.

I really need to top our line to the NW, those are hitting 80-100' but I'm getting a bit too old for hanging at the top of the zipline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stormfly said:

I have a rule here, if a tree is within the danger zone of the house it gets trimmed/topped or felled.  All trees kept in check with hatchet, axe, and saw! :)

Should that been the trees are kept equal? :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Para with a beast day 7 /8 . Just need a south trend at h5 . Plenty of time for a trend :D

500hv.na (2).png

Crazy huge nw winds as this drives north of New York.  Verbatim 55 mph gusts here

Models have been signaling at this storm for about a week now. This was the storm I was referring to when I said @psuhoffman would likely hit 60” by the 7th. I actually really like the 5-7th window for a potential final biggie. It’ll be a small window, but if we can thread the needle, look out. Especially in N/NW zones. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

54 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:
Para with a beast day 7 /8 . Just need a south trend at h5 . Plenty of time for a trend emoji3.png

1749026487_500hv.na(2).thumb.png.99f061782ff2a3ab9c08a34f145a8806.png

Op gfs has HM storm

That was legit. Close call. Something to track hopefully. I’d LOVE to see all these warminstas break out the shorts and tshirts only to have a foot of snow happen. Bring it

• Haha 5
  • Weenie 4

30 minutes ago, Wentzadelphia said:

That was legit. Close call. Something to track hopefully. I’d LOVE to see all these warminstas break out the shorts and tshirts only to have a foot of snow happen. Bring it

I am all in for something, but that is not an exciting look to me at all. I see a broad vorticity lobe and not a sharp shortwave. That wont get much done at the surface in our region. I suppose there is plenty of time for it to evolve into something entirely different though. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic