Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March Long Range Discussion

stormtracker

6 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I'm talking like one of those historical storms from the past that dropped two feet of wet snow and just had tremendous qpf/dynamics.

Storms plural?  The only March storm, singular, that I know of that dropped those kinda of numbers over a widespread portion of this area was 1958 and even that storm the 20”+ zone was confined to the higher elevation NW 1/3 of this sub. The Ashe Wed storm in 62 I guess you could argue was close with the SW 1/3 experiencing those type numbers. But if we look at the last 50 years some of the March storms the last 10 years have been the best. 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Interesting h5 setup per HH gfs around day 8/9. Real strong High pressure sprawling all to our north with energy coming thru Missouri.  

500hv.na (1).png

Ron Paul happening time!? I’m in!! Happy to have a one final wintery blowout to send us off into cicada land. :lol:

Eta: Sets the doppelbock down and wonders why am I even here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Storms plural?  The only March storm, singular, that I know of that dropped those kinda of numbers over a widespread portion of this area was 1958 and even that storm the 20”+ zone was confined to the higher elevation NW 1/3 of this sub. The Ashe Wed storm in 62 I guess you could argue was close with the SW 1/3 experiencing those type numbers. But if we look at the last 50 years some of the March storms the last 10 years have been the best. 

Those were the two that I was thinking of. Superstorm of 93 would be fun, too! I was only 9 at the time so I don't have any memory of that, sadly.

43 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I agree..there have been some really good March storms in the past 10 years that I've experienced while here.  I wasn't in this area in 1993, but was in northeast Ohio on the "western edge" of the Storm of the Century.  We got nearly a foot of powder and it was in the teens with blizzard warnings for that one in eastern Ohio.

Anyhow, beyond that, 2014 stands as the best year for March events with 2015 a close 2nd.  The biggest of all of those was 8" on St. Patrick's Day 2014...which complimented a 5.3" event earlier that month and another 3" on March 25 (2nd year in a row we got decent snow here on my birthday!).  And we even got about an inch or so on the 30th that year to close things out.  I liked the March 2015 event, 6.5" with temperatures falling through the mid 20s all day.  And it stuck around for a couple of days or so.  Then of course we had the sleet event in 2017 and the "equinox storm" in 2018 that dropped 5" where I am.

I don't know whether we can pull off a good event this year but I haven't paid much attention to the longer range to be honest.  I'd love a shot at one final good event, as this year has been disappointing in and near the DC area at least; too many underperformers.  I might not care so much about anything in March, except the event last week was really a bust here; even the models (NAM, in particular) that showed warm air entering the mid-levels were at least giving a couple or few inches of snow before a flip to sleet.  I didn't see so much as a single snow flake.  It was sleet right from the start and not even anything much to write home about at that (1" sleet total), and the event was over by noon.

I know many here don't care for March snows because they don't stick around for long.  But personally that doesn't bother me.  If we could score a 6" or so event where we have one nice, snowy day and it hangs around for a day or so before warming up again, that would be awesome.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Its February lol :facepalm: Take this garbage to banter . We talk winter storms in here because its winter 

I don't know about you but I make a point to be outside every day and have don't it since March

I'd love one more good shot at a nice event for March, myself!  But I cannot blame some of the calls for "just end it and bring on spring!" either.  Let's face it, many were disappointed (myself included) by some real underperformers, and I think last week really put the nail into that.  Also, honestly, there really doesn't seem to be much of a threat on the horizon.  If there were, that might be different.  But I just don't see much chance out there in the overall pattern.  Won't stop me from keeping an eye out, but it's not like some Marches before where we knew we'd have opportunities.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Its February lol :facepalm: Take this garbage to banter . We talk winter storms in here because its winter 

I don't know about you but I make a point to be outside every day and have don't it since March

Get over it, meteorological spring is next week. This is a long term thread. Long term looks seasonal!

• Weenie 1

I was 12 during the blizzard of 93 (superstorm triple phaser). Lived in Frederick county Va with some elevation so it was a terrific event there and my favorite storm of all time. Dad and I  took a “Jeb walk” in the height of the storm with raging winds and heavy snow. At the time there was 12 inches plus and we ended up with around 20-22 inches. Capon Bridge and Gore had even more snow 30 inches plus due to less sleet. Dec ‘92 capon bridge had another 2 feet from that monster nor Easter 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Local Lore: Winter Weather Records - Chapelboro.com

I remember quite well!  This storm would fit in nicely with this winter snow and sleet deep into the south in Alabama Georgia etc.  Oh and a massive squall line of thunderstorms ripped through much of Florida causing a 3-4 foot storm surge on the west coast with many tornadoes too.  We got 16” of snow in southern Pa followed by 2” of sleet then .25 of rain sun at 6:25 pm and a rainbow! I graduated high school three months later. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

So are the rules that the long range discussion thread is only allowed to discuss winter weather? That’s not in the title. Spring is arriving. Which is weather related. Seems insane to have separate long range threads tracking the different kinds of weather we get in the spring.

Perfectly fine to talk about spring weather. Weather is weather. 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

So are the rules that the long range discussion thread is only allowed to discuss winter weather? That’s not in the title. Spring is arriving. Which is weather related. Seems insane to have separate long range threads tracking the different kinds of weather we get in the spring.

Who said this? Weather is weather.  

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic