Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

On 8/26/2021 at 2:46 PM, Stormfly said:

Just a bit of an annoyance at their peak!

LOL. This used to happen to me when I was mowing or weed-whacking, on either side of the Memorial Day weekend holiday this year, when the periodical cicadas were peaking. Literally 7-8 cicadas (maybe more?) would be attracted to the sound of the mower/whacker and land on me and just hang out. Was pretty funny to observe, and honestly, given the cicada's general propensity to bumble about and their general inability to navigate flight, I didn't mind. I really miss their early summer morning drone, to be honest.  :) 

• Like 4

I was on a tower using an impact driver and the noise must have attracted them because one landed on my arm and started its woooo-ah noise which was cool but what wasn't cool was the vibrating sensation felt like I was touching or very close to a live RF feed which was quite uncomforting to say the least!  A quick shake of my arm and she flew off but still...

On the road I'd say the consumption of windscreen washer fluid easily equaled mid winter where the roads are wet from melting snow and the brine mix dries a white film making it hard to see against headlights at night.  Cicada juice needs to be removed quickly or it persists through even aggressive scrubs using those filling station wands which are often on hiatus in covid land.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

LOL. This used to happen to me when I was mowing or weed-whacking, on either side of the Memorial Day weekend holiday this year, when the periodical cicadas were peaking. Literally 7-8 cicadas (maybe more?) would be attracted to the sound of the mower/whacker and land on me and just hang out. Was pretty funny to observe, and honestly, given the cicada's general propensity to bumble about and their general inability to navigate flight, I didn't mind. I really miss their early summer morning drone, to be honest.  :) 

Yeah I actually kind of miss the periodical cicadas too!  But I also always liked the sound of the annual cicadas as well.  Lots of flagging trees around here and small twigs/limbs that have fallen off.  I guess the class of 2038 is off and running!

On the topic of those mites, I got what I'm now convinced were a couple of those sometime around end of July and early August, on my neck and upper chest.  They itched at least for awhile (though nothing overly horrible), and looked almost pox-like with a large red area around them.  I was kind of worried but no more appeared and then I heard/read about the mites sometime later.  They eventually disappeared, but damn, it took a LONG time (far longer than regular mosquito bites).

• Like 2

On 8/28/2021 at 10:36 PM, Always in Zugzwang said:

On the topic of those mites, I got what I'm now convinced were a couple of those sometime around end of July and early August, on my neck and upper chest.  They itched at least for awhile (though nothing overly horrible), and looked almost pox-like with a large red area around them.  I was kind of worried but no more appeared and then I heard/read about the mites sometime later.  They eventually disappeared, but damn, it took a LONG time (far longer than regular mosquito bites).

Indeed -- the aftermath of those mite bites is an angry-looking affair. I have managed to avoid them, but my wife got knicked by two mites, and while she said it was only mildly itchy, the swelling/redness lasted for at least two weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wxtrix said:

the dusk-singers have moved into our area. I have the same thing and it's not like it was in previous years.

http://songsofinsects.com/cicadas/northern-dusk-singing-cicada

The last few nights they have been louder than Brood X at peak here!
Usually you can hear individuals.  This year it's a constant raucous, quite annoying actually.

Annuals and dusk singers have arrived over a week earlier this year as well.

Firefly season is over too. :(

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FXW176 said:

The struggle is real. I’ll miss you my friends. :(

I didn't blow through washer fluid like most others, but I'm STILL finding piles of exoskeletons in less-traveled parts of the yard. Just uncovered a few more under lesser used patio chairs yesterday. Hard to believe it's been about three months since they started to wind down.  :/

9 hours ago, Stormfly said:

Speaking of loud, once the cicadas are done the katydids come into full swing.  They are numerous and LOUD too!  When we did into the lower 50s by Friday they will definitely slow down.

This reminds of the transistion with woodpeckers and songbirds of day going into night.  Very peaceful!

LOVE these earlier MH albums! Thx for the reminder!  :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I didn't blow through washer fluid like most others, but I'm STILL finding piles of exoskeletons in less-traveled parts of the yard. Just uncovered a few more under lesser used patio chairs yesterday. Hard to believe it's been about three months since they started to wind down.  :/

Heh. I still have a few in spots. Interesting how they differ in size when compared to the annuals.

And I really should remove the dead one from my porch, but p sure s/he is not bothering anyone at the moment.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, forkyfork said:

lanternflies are discount chinese cicadas

Yuck.  My sister in northern Burlington County (NJ) has been inundated with them - she said they basically seemingly came out of 'nowhere' after never noticing them.  They killed one of her trees in her front yard.  

I'm sure they will be all over DC/NOVA by next summer.

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Yuck.  My sister in northern Burlington County (NJ) has been inundated with them - she said they basically seemingly came out of 'nowhere' after never noticing them.  They killed one of her trees in her front yard.  

I'm sure they will be all over DC/NOVA by next summer.

It'll probably be here at some point, though it was first found in Jersey in 2018.

F those things though. If anyone sees them or their nymphs, "devitalize" them immediately and report it.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...