Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

21 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Definitely the “flaggiest” tree I’ve seen (alI believe it’s a white oak). This tree is pretty much just up the road from us and has looked like this for at least a month, but I decided to finally take a picture. Pretty impressive.

466C8230-E7FF-459F-B202-51EBF6C61FDB.thumb.jpeg.59ffd4821055657751409eab160409e1.jpeg

Yeah, that’s an exaggerated version of what a couple of mine look like.  Little leaf clumps are falling every time there is any wind.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A queen cicada killer wasp landed near a stump this AM.  She was huge and had her kill in her clutches...a white bellied annual cicada that was quite large.  The male cicada killers are found buzzing/scouting around and are all buzz (no sting) but NEVER harass the queen to the point where she comes after you! ;)

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

The oak mites that are feeding on the cicada eggs are kicking my ass.  Worse than mosquito bites.

Huh, I wonder if I have that. Got something on my ankle at Assateague a week ago Friday. Thought poison ivy but seems a bit different.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2021/07/30/oak-mites-bite-cicadas-dc/

If you don’t get the Post, you can Google and there are tons of stories out there now.

My wife thought she had a tick bite on her neck, given the round-ish, reddish rash about 4" in circumference on her neck, but there was no visible tick...and then her co-worker sent her this story. Has to be this damn mite, especially since we back to a heavily wooded area.  :( 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

I've been keeping an eye out for those since they're so harmful to the ecosystem (and that article makes their 'residue/trail' sound disgusting).  It seems inevitable before they inundate the entire mid-atlantic unfortunately.  

what got to me was how fast it happened. this spring i saw a nymph here and there and now suddenly there are adults everywhere 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nj2va said:

I've been keeping an eye out for those since they're so harmful to the ecosystem (and that article makes their 'residue/trail' sound disgusting).  It seems inevitable before they inundate the entire mid-atlantic unfortunately.  

Never heard of the spotted lanternfly before going camping at French Creek State Park just NE of Philly last fall -- where I was not only inundated with literature posted there, but saw a good many on my own in the wild. Had no idea they had become so prevalent, but PA is clearly concerned and should be. Us, too.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, forkyfork said:

what got to me was how fast it happened. this spring i saw a nymph here and there and now suddenly there are adults everywhere 

I just watched the Temple U video from the article you posted - the sheer # outside that building was astounding.  Hopefully there’s a natural predator that can be used (without then becoming a bigger problem than the spotted lanternfly).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, nj2va said:

I just watched the Temple U video from the article you posted - the sheer # outside that building was astounding.  Hopefully there’s a natural predator that can be used (without then becoming a bigger problem than the spotted lanternfly).

Look at the map in the article.,  It states that eggs can laid on vehicles and transported to other locations.  Looks like they went for a ride right out the Pa. Turnpike and down 81.....

• Sad 2

We have them along with box elders.  At least the stink bug invasion has abated.  In 2012 it peaked and made brood X look like firefly season!  After treating the ridges and soffit vents in the fall we were sweeping them off the patio and deck and had several 5 gallon pails FULL of them.  And the stench.  Before Sandy (10/26) I groomed the yard around the house with the zero turn and the release of stink bug scent was watering my eyes and burning my throat like I was pepper sprayed.  That was utterly ridiculous.  The rain and wind from Sandy helped immensely with the removal which was a good thing as I had lots of tree cleanup work and that would have sucked to been breathing that crap.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...