Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

2 hours ago, H2O said:

its so quiet now

Yeah, this is the first morning I can't actually hear any chorusing at all, just the usual nearby traffic sounds and long-distance train horns -- and with a beautifully clear and sunny morning like this, they'd be singing to beat the band starting at sunup (at least a couple weeks ago).

Time to admit the show is pretty much over here, but I can't complain, because we got a pretty early start -- snapped first "emergence hole" pics IMBY in mid-April, and started a big uptick in daily photos of nymph > mature adult transformation and solo adult pics starting on May 10 on though to last week. Fare thee well, my red-eyed friends...  :( 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah, this is the first morning I can't actually hear any chorusing at all, just the usual nearby traffic sounds and long-distance train horns -- and with a beautifully clear and sunny morning like this, they'd be singing to beat the band starting at sunup (at least a couple weeks ago).

Time to admit the show is pretty much over here, but I can't complain, because we got a pretty early start -- snapped first "emergence hole" pics IMBY in mid-April, and started a big uptick in daily photos of nymph > mature adult transformation and solo adult pics starting on May 10 on though to last week. Fare thee well, my red-eyed friends...  :( 

It was a given that their time above ground would be short lived compared to their 17 year dirt nap.  Looks like the show is over and all we have left are the shells, husks, carcasses to remember them by.  And the smell.  Nature gave us a show for a few weeks.  Now I just want to make it to the next time they decide to pop up and sacrifice themselves to windshields and hungry @mappy dogs

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, H2O said:

It was a given that their time above ground would be short lived compared to their 17 year dirt nap.  Looks like the show is over and all we have left are the shells, husks, carcasses to remember them by.  And the smell.  Nature gave us a show for a few weeks.  Now I just want to make it to the next time they decide to pop up and sacrifice themselves to windshields and hungry @mappy dogs

Ill be happy when they leave, only because my dogs will stop eating them. anyway, still noisy up here

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah same here!  It's almost like when a big HECS winds down, after a long time following its development and then all the observations as it occurs...then it's done.  With the exception that we didn't have Ji canceling the event 100 times with every model run or complaining that 65 inches of ECMWF snow was taken away and he's only getting 25!! :lol:

I was in this area for the 2004 emergence, which was pretty cool.  However, this time I paid more attention to them than I did in 2004...looking for the holes and turrets, watching the emerging nymphs, noting the different songs, etc.  I also got a lot of photos and some decent video.  Like I've said before, I know some find them to be creepy/disgusting or annoying and loud...but personally I find their whole 17 year life cycle to be fascinating and kind of neat.  I've always liked the sound of the summertime annual cicadas, but these are something pretty special in my opinion.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, H2O said:

LOL!!  Well, the rain the other day should help wash away some of the carcasses and shells at least!  They do enrich and aerate the soil!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Out for a walk this morning and almost zero cicada song. 

Peaceful quiet here in the Silver Spring area as well. Thinking the heavy rain the other night may have been enough to really thin the herd - and they were already past peak anyway. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Out for a walk this morning and almost zero cicada song. 

1 minute ago, Kmlwx said:

Peaceful quiet here in the Silver Spring area as well. Thinking the heavy rain the other night may have been enough to really thin the herd - and they were already past peak anyway. 

Same here...little or no cicada songs.  Occasionally I'll hear what sound like individual ones going, or small groups.  But rather quiet.  I see a few still wandering around (or flying) kind of aimlessly, the last stragglers I suppose.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Same here...little or no cicada songs.  Occasionally I'll hear what sound like individual ones going, or small groups.  But rather quiet.  I see a few still wandering around (or flying) kind of aimlessly, the last stragglers I suppose.

Glad the whole idea of them staying strong until early July wasn't the case. They were cool for a bit - and then quickly became annoying. 

• Sad 1

Definitely past peak but (still) quite noticeable.  Flagging showing up too.

Once the last one sings and is done will be primed for the emergence of the annuals and dusk singers.  And the katydids won't be far behind.  Katydids last into November on warm nights.  Just last year on the night of the 7th of November it was quite warm at 1900 and I remember closing up the shop and hearing one.  They are thermometers too, sultry nights their jingle is much faster than chilly nights in the 50s.

It's shaping up to be a nice firefly season too!

• Like 1

In our area there are certain trees here and there (mainly cherries) that are massively infested with the hissing sounding ones, with everywhere else quiet.  There's one house 10 or so doors down from us that has a big tree that is still ear-shattering.  They have a nice deck and I bet they're not using it!  Meanwhile nice and quiet at our house.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

In our area there are certain trees here and there (mainly cherries) that are massively infested with the hissing sounding ones, with everywhere else quiet.  There's one house 10 or so doors down from us that has a big tree that is still ear-shattering.  They have a nice deck and I bet they're not using it!  Meanwhile nice and quiet at our house.

Same here. It seems like cherries are where they're all partying at now. There's a house down the street with two cherry trees out front that are still loaded and loud, but everywhere else is virtually silent.

• Like 1

Very pronounced septendecim  chorus going on here.  This time yesterday it was nearly quiet but it's not as cool.  Up in these woods IIRC we hear them up to the end of June sometimes into July.  This has been a strange one with all the cooler weather.  No explosive mass invasion but more of a drawn out event which makes things more tolerable in general.  Our trees are mature so no worries there but the folks that just planted recently and did not cover up should be concerned.

• Like 1