Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm setting the standard for most cicada broods seen in a lifetime.  If I can get 2 more then I'll be a happy old man.  Right @mappy?  But right now I'm not old.  

You're old. You will be even older if you see 2 more events. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, H2O said:

I'm setting the standard for most cicada broods seen in a lifetime.  If I can get 2 more then I'll be a happy old man.  Right @mappy?  But right now I'm not old.  

So you're like Brigadoon then, but on the cicada cycle.  You wake up every 17 years to a new emergence, but only age a day in that time!! :lol:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Haha!!  I've actually found myself "saving" a number that are sitting there on the sidewalk, picking them up and gently placing them on a tree!  What's interesting is that for as clumsily as they fly, they have quite the grip when clinging to something.  If you let them get on your finger, for instance, they really stick to you and it's hard to get them off onto a tree branch!  I guess that's why they can lie upside down so easily!

49 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I have been doing that too. Least I can do. They waited 17 years for this. 

38 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Well, I guess I'm not the only one.  :)  Given the amount of smooshed and bird-dissected cicada corpses I'm seeing ALL over the damn place, I've been picking them off of our patio, our patio chairs, out of the grass, and even off of myself, and carrying them over to the big ass oak tree in the backyard. Did it so often yesterday I lost count. My wife was all, "What in the HELL are you doing?!? LET them die!!"  :D 

I've saved dozens at the pool over the last few weeks. Poor buggers don't seem to realize that once they get in they can't fly away. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Up until Saturday or so - I wasn't having much of an issue with them hitting the car while driving. That changed over the weekend - they are dumb little creatures. They appear to be flying harmlessly over the car and then dive into the windshield - splattering and dying. 

I'm ready for them to be gone for another 17 years. Car is a mess...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah...and that rotting cicada funk you mentioned a week or so ago? Definitely becoming more pronounced in certain areas.  :stun:

yeah.  Its noticeable thanks to the heat.  Those trees with thousands of carcasses at the bottom?  equal to a dead deer.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah...and that rotting cicada funk you mentioned a week or so ago? Definitely becoming more pronounced in certain areas.  :stun:

19 minutes ago, H2O said:

yeah.  Its noticeable thanks to the heat.  Those trees with thousands of carcasses at the bottom?  equal to a dead deer.

Yup, have been able to smell that cicada funk scent for a little while now.  I guess a lot of the ones that emerged earliest are dying off, plus all the half-eaten ones left by birds or otherwise have gotten squashed and have been lying around on the sidewalks or the street.

Anyone else hear them at night ever?  I swear the last several I've heard them well after sunset (and even toward the middle of the night).  Not as loud as during the day, but still clearly.  I've heard that they might be "active" around artificial lighting like street lights, etc.  But in general they don't do anything while dark.  There's plenty of street lights and other building lighting around here.

• Like 1

30-35 dbz returns over my house this morning. Two days ago when I was mowing my lawn a whole bunch of them flew from the small tree that I was circling ( there were hundreds of them covering the tree trunk) and it started raining. For the past week I've been observing 3-4+ cicada/m^3 rates when they are flying in the backyard (crabapple?) tree and small front yard tree. Rates even approaching 6 cicadas/m^3 at times.

Jackpotting rules!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, George BM said:

30-35 dbz returns over my house this morning. Two days ago when I was mowing my lawn a whole bunch of them flew from the small tree that I was circling ( there were hundreds of them covering the tree trunk) and it started raining. For the past week I've been observing 3-4+ cicada/m^3 rates when they are flying in the backyard (crabapple?) tree and small front yard tree. Rates even approaching 6 cicadas/m^3 at times.

Jackpotting rules!

Make sure to clear your cicada board, and don't slant-stick!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4