Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

18 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

even louder today:

db june 6.PNG

I honestly can't wait to be home at the end of the week to hear this. It was surreal when I was 13 years old on the last Brood swarm. My older sister and my niece and nephew live in the old house I grew up in north of Carney, MD and they said it was super loud there. Can hear it faintly with everything in the house closed up. Crazy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Wow great shot! (had never seen that process) Planting the next generation freak party, lol

Thanks!  Yeah if you look closely enough you can see the ones laying eggs.  I actually saw quite a bit of that going on in the past few days, and even saw some "tree flagging" beginning (where limbs turn brown and hang).  Was able to get a ~3 minute video of a female laying eggs in a twig, among a few photos.  Pretty cool!

I'm going to actually miss these little buggers when they're done this time around.  Glad I have a lot of pictures from this one (didn't get too many from 2004), and some neat video.  We'll see the next generation in 17 years then!  Hell, by that time I'll be nearly as old as @H2O, I can sit there on my porch and yell at the cicadas to "get off my lawn...and outta my trees!!" :oldman:

• Like 3

Walking around downtown Balt to grab lunch, and this song crossed my mind (partial lyrics):

Let the bodies hit the floor
Beaten, why for
Can't take much more
(Here we go, here we go, here we go now)
One, nothing wrong with me
Two, nothing wrong with me
Three, nothing wrong with me
Four, nothing wrong with me
One, something's got to give
Two, something's got to give
Three, something's got to give now
Push me again
This is the end
(Here we go, here we go, here we go now)
One, nothing wrong with me
Two, nothing wrong with me
Three, nothing wrong with me
Four, nothing wrong with me
One, something's got to give
Two, something's got to give
Three, something's got to give now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2021 at 8:34 PM, MDstorm said:

Operation “Save the Cicadas” on the lake at Piney Run Park.

226F76AC-A2F4-486D-8900-15F035385A08.jpeg.2b909e57a67d71956dd451c5154ee1c3.jpeg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=4c6452e0fc83486c

Haha!!  I've actually found myself "saving" a number that are sitting there on the sidewalk, picking them up and gently placing them on a tree!  What's interesting is that for as clumsily as they fly, they have quite the grip when clinging to something.  If you let them get on your finger, for instance, they really stick to you and it's hard to get them off onto a tree branch!  I guess that's why they can lie upside down so easily!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Haha!!  I've actually found myself "saving" a number that are sitting there on the sidewalk, picking them up and gently placing them on a tree!  What's interesting is that for as clumsily as they fly, they have quite the grip when clinging to something.  If you let them get on your finger, for instance, they really stick to you and it's hard to get them off onto a tree branch!  I guess that's why they can lie upside down so easily!

8 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

I have been doing that too. Least I can do. They waited 17 years for this. 

Well, I guess I'm not the only one.  :)  Given the amount of smooshed and bird-dissected cicada corpses I'm seeing ALL over the damn place, I've been picking them off of our patio, our patio chairs, out of the grass, and even off of myself, and carrying them over to the big ass oak tree in the backyard. Did it so often yesterday I lost count. My wife was all, "What in the HELL are you doing?!? LET them die!!"  :D 

• Like 2

So...right after I posted in this thread a few minutes ago...

I work on the 20th floor of my building downtown - got back up to my office w/ my salad and sat at my desk to eat and...crawling sensation on my neck. Crawling sensation on my neck. Crawling sensation on my neck.

Reach back...buzzzzz.

it pops off onto back of my chair. It let me pick it up, perched on backside of my hand - and let me take it back to the elevator, down 20 floors - out to our patio and I put it on a branch. Best of luck, little guy/gal. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Thanks!  Yeah if you look closely enough you can see the ones laying eggs.  I actually saw quite a bit of that going on in the past few days, and even saw some "tree flagging" beginning (where limbs turn brown and hang).  Was able to get a ~3 minute video of a female laying eggs in a twig, among a few photos.  Pretty cool!

I'm going to actually miss these little buggers when they're done this time around.  Glad I have a lot of pictures from this one (didn't get too many from 2004), and some neat video.  We'll see the next generation in 17 years then!  Hell, by that time I'll be nearly as old as @H2O, I can sit there on my porch and yell at the cicadas to "get off my lawn...and outta my trees!!" :oldman:

I'm setting the standard for most cicada broods seen in a lifetime.  If I can get 2 more then I'll be a happy old man.  Right @mappy?  But right now I'm not old.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1