Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I don't know dude...I think I'd fare much better with those than the other (I'd be in the fetal position, lol)

Oh, I was in your shoes at one time. But as @H2O and probably just about every other parent on here would attest....you would be astounded at what you A) get used to, and B) tolerate, when it comes to addressing, disposing of or otherwise addressing bodily fluids originating from humans under the age of about 10. Like nearly everyone else...I'm guessing you'd be a pro at about 3-4 months into the process...  ;) 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wxtrix said:

yep. Magicicada septendecim are known as the “Pharoah cicadas” because of their song.

You posted videos of the three different periodical species a month or two ago in this thread, and I thought at the time, "the septendecim can't POSSIBLY be that loud."

Yes, they really are. I've walked through my house over the past two weeks, and distinctly heard that "phaaaaaa-roah" call -- much louder than the normal chorusing -- and was able to trace it to the specific bedroom or bathroom window where the septendecim cicada was hanging out and singing because it was SO much louder. AND, you could see their back half raising/falling as they sang. Truly fascinating stuff.  :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Still pretty quiet in the woods near my house but deafening in my yard 

There's a couple of more wooded areas nearby me (though not like "deep woods" really).  I noticed they were later to emerge in those areas, but they now are pretty loud there.  I've heard that they "prefer" to be more along the edges of forests and woods areas, not so much way in a deep forest or anything like that.  Maybe your area is just on the edge enough that you get them all but they aren't in the main wooded part.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wxtrix said:

yep. Magicicada septendecim are known as the “Pharoah cicadas” because of their song.

3 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

You posted videos of the three different periodical species a month or two ago in this thread, and I thought at the time, "the septendecim can't POSSIBLY be that loud."

Yes, they really are. I've walked through my house over the past two weeks, and distinctly heard that "phaaaaaa-roah" call -- much louder than the normal chorusing -- and was able to trace it to the specific bedroom or bathroom window where the septendecim cicada was hanging out and singing because it was SO much louder. AND, you could see their back half raising/falling as they sang. Truly fascinating stuff.  :) 

It's interesting, for the most part during the day it's just a general din that I hear.  But listening closely enough, in some of the trees right where I am, I can clearly hear the distinct "Phaaaa-roooh" of either individual Septendecims or "smaller" choruses of them.  When I'm outside I can also clearly hear the distinct "ssssssssszzzzzz" (sizzle/hissing) of the Cassinis right underneath several trees too.  Kinda cool!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Loudest day yet here. Decibels in the 80s. They are everywhere. Including on my neck. Have removed four from the house and returned them to their sex trees. 

"Sex trees"...LOL!!!  Yeah, don't want them fornicating on your neck, either!!!  Brings a new meaning to the word "necking"!!! :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Oh, I was in your shoes at one time. But as @H2O and probably just about every other parent on here would attest....you would be astounded at what you A) get used to, and B) tolerate, when it comes to addressing, disposing of or otherwise addressing bodily fluids originating from humans under the age of about 10. Like nearly everyone else...I'm guessing you'd be a pro at about 3-4 months into the process...  ;) 

Nah man you don't know how deep my emetophobia really is (Actually I think I'd be better with baby barf than when they get slightly older)...Yet my dad is just as bad with that, and somehow pulled it together one time (I still can't drive by that school without feeling a tad nauseous, lol). Also had another with my same phobia tell me that the parental instinct would kick in and kinda override it!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Necking?? Lolol I'll have to say that's a new term for me

13 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Must be too old of a term for "making out".  I think even @H2O might recognize it! :D  But his lingo might go even farther back than that!  Perhaps he can enlighten us on an equivalent Chaucerian phrase...

"Tongue hockey" was another necking euphemism from HS....although given the, uh, "position" that the periodical cicadas manifest during their public displays of affection, "butt hockey" might be a more apt term for them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Must be too old of a term for "making out".  I think even @H2O might recognize it! :D  But his lingo might go even farther back than that!  Perhaps he can enlighten us on an equivalent Chaucerian phrase...

16 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

"Tongue hockey" was another necking euphemism from HS....although given the, uh, "position" that the periodical cicadas manifest during their public displays of affection, "butt hockey" might be a more apt term for them.

What is this "necking" thing?  That was what we called it when people got the guillotine.  if you are talking about the act of placing lips on the part between shoulders and head we called that "throat snogging"

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, H2O said:

What is this "necking" thing?  That was what we called it when people got the guillotine.  if you are talking about the act of placing lips on the part between shoulders and head we called that "throat snogging"

youre so old and weird. lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

We know a couple of people up your way that said the same thing -- no cicadas.  Same with some of my family in Calvert.  Looking at this map you are close to the border of Brood X and Brood II in red -- 2013 and 2030.  Looks like Calvert is Brood II

image.png.4f98b6f83e46d416aae2821a67481074.png

Calvert doesn't get II anymore either :lol:

My dad lives in Delta, PA, and doesn't have any either- he's right within the border of this map. I think the coverage is shrinking.

• Like 1

They are quite loud today.

As far as some seeing NO activity, they are quite localized.  If you drive around where they are active you will notice pockets of silence and then suddenly out of nowhere they are LOUD.  Tuesday I was driving the backroads between Union Bridge and Belair and noticed this.  Areas in Reisterstown and Glyndon were quite active as in windows down = cicadas joining the ride with you!

1 hour ago, H2O said:

cicadas aren't tired either.  Still loud.  

If you had to wait 17 years for sex you wouldn't sleep for a few weeks! :P

OK definitely noticeably louder today.  Sun peaking through (660W/m^2) and sound in my family room is 46 decibels.  Normally it's 31.  It's loud enough that someone on the other end of a phone call can hear it.  In the forest it's hitting mid 80s.

• Like 1

Yesterday I had my son and his friend (second graders) at a neighborhood park. They noticed a young maple tree (15 feet ish) was covered with cicadas. Naturally, they grabbed the trunk and shook it as hard as possible. It was quite a spectacle - no guarantee of accuracy but at least 50 cicadas blasted off in all directions, shouting their displeasure. Hilarious!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i feel like this is a reverse snowstorm--usually I report snow first and then it moves east. but with cicadas i am reporting last, 10-12 days behind everyone else. I got to enjoy everyone else's anticipation and now I'm experiencing it myself.

today I can hear the chorus inside the house with the windows closed. I opened the door to the deck and called oceanwx and he said he could now hear them over the phone.

I'm hating the thought of when the "back edge" will start coming.  These things are just so fun and wish they would stick around longer.  but then again the wait is what makes them fun.

• Like 3