Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

22 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

Yeah, yesterday was probably the loudest yet -- hosted a BBQ on the back patio starting around 3-ish. They were dialing it back by then a couple notches (and I noticed that they tend to late afternoon into evening), but starting at sunup until early afternoon, it gets loud out there. Between the bugs singing their pickup songs, and intermittently raising/lowering the volume on Big 100.3's "Memorial Day 500" classic rock countdown, we all were talking pretty loudly at times.  :) 

Freedom Rock! - GIF on Imgur

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Weenie 1

11 hours ago, mattie g said:

Forgot to tell a story about a family around the corner who were seemingly so afraid of the first emerging cicadas that they took a f’ing blowtorch to the tree on their front yard to get rid of them. I’m hoping they’ve realized the sheer folly of their ways, but I’m not 100% certain they have.

Makes you wonder how people that stupid made it to adulthood. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mattie g said:

Forgot to tell a story about a family around the corner who were seemingly so afraid of the first emerging cicadas that they took a f’ing blowtorch to the tree on their front yard to get rid of them. I’m hoping they’ve realized the sheer folly of their ways, but I’m not 100% certain they have.

Trees...fire...now what could possibly go wrong?1?! :D:facepalm:

• Like 1

I'm guessing this is "peak" Brood X time for us, and that the chorusing isn't going to get any louder, so...leaving this here so I can come back in a couple weeks to re-live that sound. I've gotten so used to hearing it in the background WHILE INSIDE, that it's a little overpowering when you first go outside.  :) 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Okay. I've just noticed something pretty cool... at least to me anyways. So with the Magicicada cassini member of the cicadas ( the ones that make the loud electrical noise) I've noticed the noise wax and wane in 5 second intervals. So looking at the tree that I mentioned in my backyard, where they all seem to be hanging out, I looked closely if I could see any flying pattern with them related to their wax/wane noise levels. Sure enough, I observe most of them take flight during the 2-3 seconds when their noise output is lower. Then in those 2-3 seconds that they've landed on twigs/leaves/branches the noise level crescendos to a peak before lowering again before they take their few second long flight and repeat the pattern indefinitely.

I just thought it was something fascinating to share that I just noticed with the cicadas today. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I'm guessing this is "peak" Brood X time for us, and that the chorusing isn't going to get any louder, so...leaving this here so I can come back in a couple weeks to re-live that sound. I've gotten so used to hearing it in the background WHILE INSIDE, that it's a little overpowering when you first go outside.  :) 

Good evening v, nicely done, caught the sound perfectly. The sound reminded me of the 50’s thriller giant ant sound in the movie ‘Them’. As always .....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, George BM said:

Okay. I've just noticed something pretty cool... at least to me anyways. So with the Magicicada cassini member of the cicadas ( the ones that make the loud electrical noise) I've noticed the noise wax and wane in 5 second intervals. So looking at the tree that I mentioned in my backyard, where they all seem to be hanging out, I looked closely if I could see any flying pattern with them related to their wax/wane noise levels. Sure enough, I observe most of them take flight during the 2-3 seconds when their noise output is lower. Then in those 2-3 seconds that they've landed on twigs/leaves/branches the noise level crescendos to a peak before lowering again before they take their few second long flight and repeat the pattern indefinitely.

I just thought it was something fascinating to share that I just noticed with the cicadas today. 

I noticed a similar thing with the Cassini having a sort of wax and wane as you put it with the electrical/sizzling/hissing kind of sound.  It's actually a bit less "shrill" or loud compared to the Septendecim ones it seems, but I can clearly make out the Cassinis around and in several trees.  Interesting about their flying patterns too, that you noted.  If I listen closely I can make out the "Phaaaa-rooooh" sound of the Septendecims among the general background din.

ETA:  I think I heard the Septendecula too the other day, barely...the rotating sprinkler or clock ticking kind of sound (like a "chick, chick, chick, chick" sound).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Pretty cool!  I've been recording some of the sounds, too.  Have been able to hear it even inside for about the past two weeks...and the past week especially.  You might be right about this week being the peak...after a couple of cool and rainy days on Sat/Sun, I noticed a TON of them around this Monday, even compared to the week prior (and the sound was especially loud then too).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Pretty cool!  I've been recording some of the sounds, too.  Have been able to hear it even inside for about the past two weeks...and the past week especially.  You might be right about this week being the peak...after a couple of cool and rainy days on Sat/Sun, I noticed a TON of them around this Monday, even compared to the week prior (and the sound was especially loud then too).

I so enjoy their singing....have been opening the windows every morning through early afternoon to hear it. Not gonna lie...I will miss their chorusing when they're gone.

On the other hand...I'm NOT going to miss our yellow Lab chowing down on a few, and then bringing them back UP for a vote within about 30 minutes.  :( 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I thought they had gotten louder after the cool days...thought it was my imagination, lol

• Like 3

On 6/1/2021 at 7:57 AM, dailylurker said:

Makes you wonder how people that stupid made it to adulthood. 

Years ago a man whose home was about a mile from mine did something really stupid.  He was tired of ants invading his home so he decided to go to the garage and get a gas can and pour the entire thing (!) around the font of his home where the ant hills were.  A few minutes later he tossed a match on it.  It thumped hard, easily heard inside my home.  He was lucky to have survived his ordeal but he did about $100k worth of damage to the front of his house and broke windows out of homes across the street!  Thanks to excellent response of our local firefighters (volunteer) they saved his home from burning down.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

I so enjoy their singing....have been opening the windows every morning through early afternoon to hear it. Not gonna lie...I will miss their chorusing when they're gone.

Same here!  Like I said some time ago, I actually find them kind of fascinating, the whole 17 year life cycle and all that, and emerging by the billions.  And the din of the singing I don't personally mind at all, for a couple or so weeks.

13 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

On the other hand...I'm NOT going to miss our yellow Lab chowing down on a few, and then bringing them back UP for a vote within about 30 minutes.  :( 

LOL!  Well, if your yellow Lab is yakking them back up, I guess that would be a veto rather than a vote!!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

And let me guess.  The Lab always does that on carpet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Anybody else think the sound from a distance sounds exactly like a phaser on Star Trek?

11 hours ago, Kay said:

Yes. Very strong Trek original series vibe to all the cicada sounds :lol:

LOL!  Yeah, now that you all mention it, the background din does sound like Star Trek phasers!!

"Spock...set your cicadas on stun!!"

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Anybody else think the sound from a distance sounds exactly like a phaser on Star Trek?

My wife likens the combined cicada song to many distant emergency vehicle sirens....but now that you mention it, yeah, it really DOES sound like someone taped down an engaged phaser trigger!!  :D 

28 minutes ago, H2O said:

And let me guess.  The Lab always does that on carpet.

About 50/50. You sound like you may have direct experience in this department.  ;) 

• Like 1