Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

1 minute ago, wxtrix said:

maybe it’s not warm enough yet in the park? we’re just getting going in my backyard.

Could be. It’s a pretty thick canopy, soil temps might be cooler. 
I love that park. Everyone talks about Rock Creek, which is wonderful, but Glover Archibald is NW’s little secret.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Last couple days I've seen a lot more brave souls making desperate attempts to fly across roads to get to the other side.  Thoughts and prayers to them 

Same here, seen a fair number "flying" around.  I use quotes around flying because it's more like bumbling along while beating their wings.  I guess they can actually get kind of far, relatively speaking.  Have seen several dive-bombing birds, too, probably nabbing them in mid-air.

I suspect tomorrow and Saturday the sound/activity might temporarily be a fair bit lower with rain and cooler temperatures.  But then I imagine it'll go back up again toward the later part of the weekend as it clears out more and warms back up some.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Same here, seen a fair number "flying" around.  I use quotes around flying because it's more like bumbling along while beating their wings.  I guess they can actually get kind of far, relatively speaking.  Have seen several dive-bombing birds, too, probably nabbing them in mid-air.

SOOO many fliers out and about! No matter which window you look out, you can see 5-10 at any given time trying to get somewhere. And yeah, they are humorously bad navigators.  :) 

I'm also starting to see the only part about periodical cicada visits that I really don't like -- the brown/dying outermost 1-2 feet of tree branches on trees hanging down, from the point where mama cicadas have dug into the branches and laid their eggs.

3 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

the alien spaceship has finally arrived in my backyard. I am so psyched!

Good! I've had the windows open almost every day this week....I love working to the sound of that alien "coooooooo."  :D 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

SOOO many fliers out and about! No matter which window you look out, you can see 5-10 at any given time trying to get somewhere. And yeah, they are humorously bad navigators.  :) 

I'm also starting to see the only part about periodical cicada visits that I really don't like -- the brown/dying outermost 1-2 feet of tree branches on trees hanging down, from the point where mama cicadas have dug into the branches and laid their eggs.

Good! I've had the windows open almost every day this week....I love working to the sound of that alien "coooooooo."  :D 

I haven't seen any of the "flagging" trees yet, I thought that typically appears in a couple of months when the eggs hatch and fall out.  But maybe some of the earlier ones are starting to.  I saw a lot of that in 2004.  Fortunately, it doesn't really harm most trees and in fact (from what I heard) is like a good pruning.  But new or smaller trees like fruit trees...could be bad for those (I actually have seen a couple of yards where someone has put up netting around their smaller ones).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, H2O said:

Was expecting the sounds outside to start slowing down. Got him and nope. Still just as loud. All 3 songs can be heard

Seems it slows down toward the later afternoon, relatively speaking, and then totally stops by evening.  They start up early each day...like not long after sunrise or when enough light has come out!  It did seem louder today where I'm at, compared to the other day.

Cool that you can hear all 3 of the magicicada songs!  I've been able to clearly discern two of them (the more abundant "septendecim" and also the "cassini"...but not sure I've heard the "septendecula" offhand).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, mappy said:

Mini-map said it was ridiculously loud outside at school today, much much louder than any other day this week. 

LOL...funny but upon going outside to get my daughter to school this morning, she said "shut up, cicadas!"  She doesn't get why I find them fascinating and thinks it's gross when I pick one up (or "rescue" one from the sidewalk and put it on a nearby tree or bush)!!

She was 6 months old when they came out last time in 2004, so obviously wouldn't remember that...and is now 17-1/2 and graduating high school.  Kind of an odd symmetry there in a way, and makes me realize just how long a time that is!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I haven't seen any of the "flagging" trees yet, I thought that typically appears in a couple of months when the eggs hatch and fall out.  But maybe some of the earlier ones are starting to.  I saw a lot of that in 2004.  Fortunately, it doesn't really harm most trees and in fact (from what I heard) is like a good pruning.  But new or smaller trees like fruit trees...could be bad for those (I actually have seen a couple of yards where someone has put up netting around their smaller ones).

Yes I remember bad flagging on the northern outer loop of the beltway (695) back 2004.  Lots of people learned from that with saplings and have 'em bagged now!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Publicly fornicating cicadas!  Shock, horror! :o Someone get these two a room, or a private tree branch, stat!!  (or call @ravensrule!) :lol:

1508746701_FornicatingCicadas.thumb.JPG.7fb65b72d7799d9ddaf49b60062bc5f2.JPG

Good evening Z. If their ultimate act of procreation is accomplished without looking at each other, its no wonder that it takes 17 years to come to fruition. As always

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, rclab said:

Good evening Z. If their ultimate act of procreation is accomplished without looking at each other, its no wonder that it takes 17 years to come to fruition. As always

lol this is funny 

11 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

Just a huge emergence in our front yard last night. We have one of those exoshell collections now under one of my oaks that is stomach churning in how many are piled up there. 

Awesome! Def not a huge emergence here, but a lot more on a few trees. Lot more birds hanging around the tree picking them off. My older dog is snacking on them constantly. She just paces the fence and trees looking for them, it’s ridiculous lol

• Like 3