• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

My one infiltrated tree isn't so lonely anymore.  As soon as we open our garage door you can hear the creeping and crawling.  They definitely love the garage door.  I'm guessing soil is warmer around house foundation?  We literally had to sweep exoskeletons out of the way and they have bombarded our garage.

Our shaded trees/woods still don't have a lot but they are starting to pop.  Really looking forward to the next few nights!

• Thanks 1

Our older dog has been stalking the back fence the last three days, won’t come inside, staying out there for hours just pacing the fence. We figured she was waiting for neighbors to come out and give her treats (an older neighbor does this daily, gives the dogs animal crackers). Anyway, we saw her grabbing something off the fence and start eating. While I haven’t walked out to investigate, the kiddo did and said there were cicadas shells on the ground. So our dog is pacing the fence to eat cicadas is seems lol

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, mappy said:

Our older dog has been stalking the back fence the last three days, won’t come inside, staying out there for hours just pacing the fence. We figured she was waiting for neighbors to come out and give her treats (an older neighbor does this daily, gives the dogs animal crackers). Anyway, we saw her grabbing something off the fence and start eating. While I haven’t walked out to investigate, the kiddo did and said there were cicadas shells on the ground. So our dog is pacing the fence to eat cicadas is seems lol

Haha...free Scooby snacks!!  I've seen birds occasionally dive-bombing or plucking things off the ground, too.  Maybe the squashed or dead ones on the sidewalk are fast food!

Steady din of cicadas here, not so much right in my yard but all around and it's louder (Audubon Nature Center very nearby me, they're all over and humming up a storm).  Interesting that I've seen so many coming out on trees around my place but I don't (yet) hear any in those same trees.  Maybe they just flew off.  I'm sure not all were eaten, there were so many.  Like @WxUSAF mentioned, I've also noticed that in some "deeper woods" they aren't out yet, but I have seen indications on the "edges" of there in the past day.  I'd have to imagine there are a ton in those relatively undisturbed old-wood regions.  And like @H2O, I've noticed many new ones coming out on several nights, even on the same trees.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, mappy said:

Yup. Back neighbor has a maple that sits a few feet from our fence, cicadas coming from it, getting to the fence to molt and meeting their end by our dog. lol

Did find shells on our weeping cherry and dogwood out front, they weren’t there yesterday when I did my walk around the yard. 

• Like 2

Dogs want to go outside all the time now, not surprised!

Also, the birdbath needs to be washed out several times a day now.  Full of wings and other bits.  Blue Jays and Crows constantly quarreling over six legged catch.

We've had some wind gusts and every time I check it looks smoky, there is so much pollen in the air it's nuts.  We definitely need some rain.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stormfly said:

Dogs want to go outside all the time now, not surprised!

Also, the birdbath needs to be washed out several times a day now.  Full of wings and other bits.  Blue Jays and Crows constantly quarreling over six legged catch.

We've had some wind gusts and every time I check it looks smoky, there is so much pollen in the air it's nuts.  We definitely need some rain.

It's funny, too, when a stiff breeze goes through, the "overall volume knob" on the cicada chorusing gets turned down a notch or two...I picture them stopping their song to dig in and hold onto their branch until the worst of the breeze passes through, and then they turn that knob back up to 11!  :D 

BTW, consistent and pretty loud cicada song yesterday and today -- though not annoyingly so. We've had to increase the volume on our outdoor patio speaker by a couple notches, as the cicadas were pretty effectively drowning out the music this weekend. I can't remember from 2004...do we peak for 1-2 weeks like this, and then the drone dies off as the mature adults start concluding their orgy and dying off?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

It's funny, too, when a stiff breeze goes through, the "overall volume knob" on the cicada chorusing gets turned down a notch or two...I picture them stopping their song to dig in and hold onto their branch until the worst of the breeze passes through, and then they turn that knob back up to 11!  :D 

BTW, consistent and pretty loud cicada song yesterday and today -- though not annoyingly so. We've had to increase the volume on our outdoor patio speaker by a couple notches, as the cicadas were pretty effectively drowning out the music this weekend. I can't remember from 2004...do we peak for 1-2 weeks like this, and then the drone dies off as the mature adults start concluding their orgy and dying off?

Hahaha. I just observed this minutes ago myself.

• Like 1

Pretty loud here today.  I can distinctly hear the differences between two of the species in some places...kinda cool (I think the "hissing" sound is magicicada cassini, and the more common "phaaa-rohhh" is septendecim?).

Saw a funny bit of graffiti while out for a walk, going under one of these bridges along a trail.  It said "F**K CICADAS!"  I guess whomever wrote that isn't a fan! :lol:

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, vastateofmind said:

Spinal Tap cicadas!  One louder!! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1