Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

2 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

yep, last week we had 3 nights in the 30s, and last night it got down to 39. 

this week should be a good one.

Yeah, was in the low 40s this morning up here, as has been the case for the last week or so. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, H2O said:

Wasn’t sure if my ears were playing tricks on me but starting to hear cicada song. Very faint but it’s there

Definitely seeing the first flying swarms of them today.  Had the son in the backyard with a badminton racket trying to swat them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mappy said:

Yeah, was in the low 40s this morning up here, as has been the case for the last week or so. 

I'll bet you and @wxtrix start seeing SOME evidence this week, especially with forecasted temps. It's definitely time!

43 minutes ago, H2O said:

Wasn’t sure if my ears were playing tricks on me but starting to hear cicada song. Very faint but it’s there

Yeah...I thought I heard some slight churring from the Coast Guard property today.

6 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Down the street from me....it’s happening.gif

656BE62C-98F3-4260-B628-E89A349536A7.jpeg

My big backyard oak looks like this all around the base...and at sunset, the grass around it kind of gets that "boiling" look...   :) 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, George BM said:

Reading this sentence makes me picture a fully loaded C-5A/B Galaxy take off w/ the TF-39 engines screeching and screaming bloody murder lugging the heavy bird off of the ground.

Haha - That's hilarious.  Brings back memories of my first tour in Frankfurt, Germany.  On a calm summer evening with the windows open (no AC in Germany)  you could hear the C-5's spooling up their turbofans at Rhein Main AFB from Sachsenhausen where I lived from 6 miles away.  Those turbofans on a a C-5 have a very distinct scream like no other turbofan.  

Cicada activity last night and today was a bit subdued with the cooler weather.  Expect it will take off again starting tomorrow.  

• Like 3

Nice! I’m deliberately putting off yard work until I can gauge the emergence at my crib. Or so I’m telling my wife...

(And per a few pages back, firebugs were late last year in my neck of the woods as well. Not a long season either. Butterflies too. :( )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@FXW176's enthusiasm is contagious....I just created this album of all of my Brood X-related pictures/video going back to late April, and as there is continued activity in our little corner of FfxCo (which I assume will ramp up considerably in the next week or so), I will just add it to this album going forward:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1KpTfqSuQojkVNwE7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, H2O said:

OMG. The warm day has caused a huge emergence IMBY. Ground was crawling with them. Well over 100

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Still in a holding pattern here other than the first few I saw yesterday. 

Yeah, my yard is relatively quiet still, but the tree directly across the street is teeming with them. The ground is starting to take on that “it’s moving” look.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

i took my first outdoor Zoom meeting of 2021 and at one point there was a buzzing and one of the cats zeroed in on it. the buzzing crossed the backyard and the perpetrator was too small to be one of the zillions of birds we have.

achievement unlocked:  first Brood X cicada sighted at our “new” house. (we were not living here in 2004 so we have no idea what to expect.)

So I'm curious....do you find that your cats prefer to A) play with/bat at cicadas, B ) eat them, or C) both?

Our yellow Lab gorged herself on cicadas the latter half of last week and over the weekend (and we've got the proof of "intestinal distress" piles around the yard to prove it), though she's sort of over the snacking now. I wondered if cats eat cicadas, or simply enjoy the hunting/playing with them...and I don't have any nearby to observe.  :) 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2021 at 4:17 PM, George BM said:

I'm finally seeing the exoskeletons on my maple tree in the front yard. Around 5-7 in total. 

And now I've seen my first adult cicada. They are much smaller than the black/green locusts we see here annually. 

#Ontheboard

How often are you supposed to clear your cicada boards? Daily? Weekly? Every other day?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, George BM said:

And now I've seen my first adult cicada. They are much smaller than the black/green locusts we see here annually. 

#Ontheboard

How often are you supposed to clear your cicada boards? Daily? Weekly? Every other day?

UPDATE: The mass emergence has commenced on my three maple trees. I even felt a drop of liquid when I was under one of the trees. The storm is here! :tomato:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mappy said:

I go out every day and look, nothing. Hoping this weeks warmer weather will help up here, its been way too chilly for weeks. 

Yes the chilly temps definitely delay 'em but the heat is coming. I'm sure the 20 or so farm cats around here are gonna have a field day with 'em! ;)

• Like 1

This evening I had the craziest cicada experience of my life. I have a 3 acre open area with three large Chinese Chestnut trees. Tonight at dusk I was headed inside and I thought I heard water running. It sounded like a hose running. That's when I realized it was a mass emergence of cicada. It sounded crazy as they climbed through the dry leaves under the trees. The tree trunks were 50% covered in cicadas. It was kinda alien.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 2

4 hours ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

A few trees covered with emerging cicadas this evening. And saw several also coming out of the grass. Have seen a few fully out mature ones the past couple of days (black with the clear orange wings). A couple from this evening:

20210517212153_4G6A0318.thumb.JPG.c88cdf4fc6fc6e9bff768471cfeb6e45.JPG

20210517215621_4G6A0334.thumb.JPG.719c00edce1761de05284ca78a4ce932.JPG

Always thought this was the coolest looking part of their development--awesome!!

• Like 3