• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

Checked the big backyard oak last hour....a lot of those nymphs I filmed molting over the past two days unfortunately seemed to have only made it only partially through their transformation. I've lost count of how many mature cicadas I just saw hanging out on the tree trunk with mangled, malformed, half-shriveled or not-even-unfurled wings. I wonder if the cooler weather overnight might have interfered with the complete "drying out" of the wings on the newly-emerged cicadas?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gunny23 said:

I sadly noticed some also on the one tree where most of them have been so far and one new one on our poplar.    Sad that they made it this far but couldn't finish.  Pretty sure we still have enough.

might be a cicada bust in the works... need to wet bulb quickly and have the back edge over-perform along with a good ULL pass. Otherwise it'll be another DMV fail. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

34 minutes ago, SnowenOutThere said:

I dont know about you guys but getting some pretty good rates even this close to the back edge.

I go out every night with my flashlight and search the yard.  My 12 year old daughter (who I make come with me) is so over cicadas already and my neighbors think I am nuts.

Ask me if I care :thumbsdown:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has anyone seen fireflies yet?

With these chilly days and even chillier nights it's going to postpone them.  Then a 85 degree day and the next night they will go boom!  2019 was a crazy season and the peak was earlier.  First week of June it was incredible how many we had under the forest canopy.  Almost avatar like (the movie).  By the second week of July they were nearly gone.

• Thanks 1

Headed to the house around the corner with one of the biggest hatches going on so far. It’s super impressive. The lawn was nearly covered in nymphs, adults, and shells in some spots and the huge maple tree on the front lawn was loaded with all three, as well.

I really want to see that on all the trees around here. Bring me the sounds of an alien spaceship!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Has anyone seen fireflies yet?

With these chilly days and even chillier nights it's going to postpone them.  Then a 85 degree day and the next night they will go boom!  2019 was a crazy season and the peak was earlier.  First week of June it was incredible how many we had under the forest canopy.  Almost avatar like (the movie).  By the second week of July they were nearly gone.

I never see them until late May at the earliest. And another walk around the kingdom this evening gave no sign of the cicadas either.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Headed to the house around the corner with one of the biggest hatches going on so far. It’s super impressive. The lawn was nearly covered in nymphs, adults, and shells in some spots and the huge maple tree on the front lawn was loaded with all three, as well.

I really want to see that on all the trees around here. Bring me the sounds of an alien spaceship!

We only have one tree in the neighborhood where they are starting to pile up (ours).  Found out walking the dog tonight that some of my neighbors who don't think I am crazy have been coming by with their flashlight to check it out.  Lol

On another note, several years ago several of us went in on an industrial mosquito sprayer and spray between households.  The intention was that we would just grab it from a garage and spray as needed but honestly one dude has been spraying the whole "co-ops'" yards.  Tonight he was coming to do ours for the first time but I told to him to hold off.  As much as I hate mosquitos, I have to give these Cicadas a chance for a little bit of fun before they die!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Saw numerous shells around a large oak tree yesterday, but no signs yet of actual cicadas.  Maybe they were preliminary scouts, sacrificed to the birds!

Still awaiting the HECS (Historic East-coast Cicada Swarm)!!! :lol:

We get that sort of HECS just as often as we do the snow one

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Saw numerous shells around a large oak tree yesterday, but no signs yet of actual cicadas.  Maybe they were preliminary scouts, sacrificed to the birds!

Still awaiting the HECS (Historic East-coast Cicada Swarm)!!! :lol:

06z GFS gave us some love...hopefully we see another bump at 12z. All I'm asking for is a cartopper.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Was just out on my evening cicada hunt under my most "active" tree.  Sounded like super light rain drops under that tree.  I totally forgot about cicada pee!

Now I am wondering if I should share with the neighborhood Mom chat.  They are NOT as enthusiastic as I am about these guys.   To tell them they are being peed on might well send them over the edge.

But would be so damn funny!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, gunny23 said:

Was just out on my evening cicada hunt under my most "active" tree.  Sounded like super light rain drops under that tree.  I totally forgot about cicada pee!

Now I am wondering if I should share with the neighborhood Mom chat.  They are NOT as enthusiastic as I am about these guys.   To tell them they are being peed on might well send them over the edge.

But would be so damn funny!

Deep down, you know the neighborhood moms like to get peed on.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, mattie g said:

Nice hatch going on under my front-yard Holly tree this evening. Spotted 15 or so new nymphs and shells tonight - hopefully a sign of fun things to come!

Cool picture (at least I think so) of four cicadas in various stages of molting on the holly tree. Taken last night at about 9:00 or so.

FCE9FE13-0AB8-4A85-B873-107AA0477963.thumb.jpeg.c6c5784804b81d05925bfeb9591607b6.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The first 20 feet of trunk on my backyard oak up to the first big branches -- where I captured my posted pics/video earlier this week -- were thick with nymphs and emerging adults last evening just after dark, too many to count. That whole side of the yard (the oak is in the back corner of my property) was rustling with countless nymphs making a beeline for the oak, the fences, the shed, anywhere they could get at least some elevation. I even saw a handful of oh-eff-it nymphs starting their molts at the top of some tall dandelion stems. If you got down low to look across the grass, you could see it "moving" in spots...eerie. I'm thinking we might actually start hearing these guys next week?

Oh, and just for you, @gunny23 & @mattie g -- let's just say I'm going to be a little more careful about walking under my backyard oak in another week or so. (In fairness, this video is of cicada Chremistica umbrosa of South-East Asia...our Brood X periodic cicadas apparently aren't this incontinent.)

• Thanks 1