• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

So, finally got around to the first "big" weed-whacking of the spring season, and found literally dozens of these emergent holes from cicada nymphs, after I cut down the worst patches of weeds around my backyard shed and near the patio/house foundations:

20210418_135326-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.57fd79ba0af5f2e9ef4f06679dee3af1.jpg

So, SOMETHING must be starting to happen. I haven't actually seen any nymphs yet, with the exception of this guy yesterday who briefly thought about popping out, but then decided to roll over and go back to sleep for a few more days or a week:

I think it's almost showtime...  :) 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

saw dozens of holes near trees on my walk w/ the pup this afternoon. Yeah, the show is about to start I think. 

Yep - we have holes all over our yard - especially around the base of trees.  Been working evenings helping a neighbor trench 230 feet of 4" pipe to drain some low spots in his yard.  As we approached the perimeter roots of a maple tree with the trench the nymphs were all over the place about 6" to a foot down.  The cool weather is keeping them underground, for now at least.  

• Like 3

Haven't really looked where I'm at but wouldn't be surprised if there are hints of them starting their path upward.  Not sure if this is earlier than usual, I thought they normally really start coming out about mid-May.  Maybe it's a bit earlier than that then, on average.  Seem to recall them arriving about early May in 2004, though I also recall it was pretty warm at that point too.

I look forward to @Jebman jebwalks through the cicadas, taking in their songs!  Would that be called a jebbrood walk then (for Brood X, or any Brood)? :D

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Haven't really looked where I'm at but wouldn't be surprised if there are hints of them starting their path upward.  Not sure if this is earlier than usual, I thought they normally really start coming out about mid-May.  Maybe it's a bit earlier than that then, on average.  Seem to recall them arriving about early May in 2004, though I also recall it was pretty warm at that point too.

I look forward to @Jebman jebwalks through the cicadas, taking in their songs!  Would that be called a jebbrood walk then (for Brood X, or any Brood)? :D

I, too, thought this was a little early....even for the earliest emergents. But I'm telling 'ya....even after my post above outlining what I found in my backyard, I found probably a dozen MORE emergent holes in my front yard yesterday. Lots of empty holes....but I've hardly seen any nymphs! Weird.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I, too, thought this was a little early....even for the earliest emergents. But I'm telling 'ya....even after my post above outlining what I found in my backyard, I found probably a dozen MORE emergent holes in my front yard yesterday. Lots of empty holes....but I've hardly seen any nymphs! Weird.

I'm wondering if the first ones become easy food for hungry birds. Once the big numbers emerge they overwhelm hungry critters. That's part of their strategy for survival. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

it was May back in 2004 because i met my husband in mid-May 2004 and they had just emerged en masse.

Yes...you are correct 

I also don't think they are coming anytime soon.  Needs to be 80 for a few days for the soil to warm up to 64 and it's been a cold spring imho.  I stuck a meat thermometer in a few places in my yard (don't tell my husband) and we are only up to 55 at most.  I think the few coming now are just the advance team.

I have definitely noticed more digging under one group of large trees.  I think some critters know they are close and are starting to feast. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gunny23 said:

Yes...you are correct 

I also don't think they are coming anytime soon.  Needs to be 80 for a few days for the soil to warm up to 64 and it's been a cold spring imho.  I stuck a meat thermometer in a few places in my yard (don't tell my husband) and we are only up to 55 at most.  I think the few coming now are just the advance team.

I have definitely noticed more digging under one group of large trees.  I think some critters know they are close and are starting to feast. 

Literallly LOL'ed at that....if only because I've considered doing just that, but also didn't want to use my nice, new, shiny, only-use-for-grilling-and-not-ground-temps meat thermometer!  :D 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, fourseasons said:

How many people here are now contemplating paying a visit outside with a meat thermometer in hand?  And maybe a small shovel?

I believe those were common instruments carried around by the former Reaper (Panic Connoisseur!), @WxWatcher007!! :lol:  Maybe they're being repurposed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

Literallly LOL'ed at that....if only because I've considered doing just that, but also didn't want to use my nice, new, shiny, only-use-for-grilling-and-not-ground-temps meat thermometer!  :D 

My husband would be pissed if he knew I used his new quick read thermometer for smoking...  I gave it a good cleaning haha

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

Wonder if the coming cold morning this week will slow/delay things. 

Delayed but not denied, imo.

Raised and released a couple hundred butterflies the past few years. These critters know better than us.