Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

34 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Sure they aren't peepers? They're definitely still doing their peeping thing in my neck of the woods right now.

Yeah, peepers was my first guess. We actually heard a rash of peepers about 2-3 weeks ago, and a lesser amount yesterday. But what we heard twice yesterday, far back in the woods, was definitely different than the peepers and more like the drone of the periodical cicadas. Not concentrated and certainly not extended....almost like a few early birds were doing a "test drive."  ;) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One thing to consider with these things is the amount of construction/development around your area in the past 17 years.  Any new roads, foundations or any other significant excavation can certainly disrupt/destroy their emergence.  Think what a new development with hundreds of new homes and a shopping center to serve those homes would have done to that local population.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

One thing to consider with these things is the amount of construction/development around your area in the past 17 years.  Any new roads, foundations or any other significant excavation can certainly disrupt/destroy their emergence.  Think what a new development with hundreds of new homes and a shopping center to serve those homes would have done to that local population.

I actually think about this kind of stuff a lot...and it makes me sad.

Just thinking about how many cicadas might try to emerge from beneath the weed mat I laid down last year around the kids' play house fills me with a little pang of guilt. I just hope they can dig sideways to get out from under there.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I actually think about this kind of stuff a lot...and it makes me sad.

Just thinking about how many cicadas might try to emerge from beneath the weed mat I laid down last year around the kids' play house fills me with a little pang of guilt. I just hope they can dig sideways to get out from under there.

I was surprised to read that they are pretty mobile underground for those 17 years.  So, maybe they are more able than we think in finding their way to the surface? I dont know why but I just pictured them being dormant the entire time.  Obviously, I dont know much about them.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, poolz1 said:

I was surprised to read that they are pretty mobile underground for those 17 years.  So, maybe they are more able than we think in finding their way to the surface? I dont know why but I just pictured them being dormant the entire time.  Obviously, I dont know much about them.

I know that they live their lives much like a "regular" insect during that time, but I've never thought much about how and where they might move.

What's interesting is that my wife has dug up dozens of them in the last few days as she's been replanting some plants in our back yard under the canopy of our neighbors' huge beech tree, but didn't dig up any as she was replanting closer to the house and not under a tree's canopy.

• Thanks 1

Just now, mattie g said:

I know that they live their lives much like a "regular" insect during that time, but I've never thought much about how and where they might move.

What's interesting is that my wife has dug up dozens of them in the last few days as she's been replanting some plants in our back yard under the canopy of our neighbors' huge beech tree, but didn't dig up any as she was replanting closer to the house and not under a tree's canopy.

Yeah, the 2038 brood will come from eggs laid on existing trees.  Not surprising that there aren't any near the house.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, poolz1 said:

Something really interesting to note is that 17 years ago the hight concentration of cicadas I remember was my Girlfriends house in Randallstown.  And she literally had just moved in to a brand new development where there were hardly any old trees and the straw was still on the ground in many places where they just planted grass.. I am thinking that it might have been just the opposite there where the construction displaced them and caused some sort of major swarm.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blueberryfaygo said:

Something really interesting to note is that 17 years ago the hight concentration of cicadas I remember was my Girlfriends house in Randallstown.  And she literally had just moved in to a brand new development where there were hardly any old trees and the straw was still on the ground in many places where they just planted grass.. I am thinking that it might have been just the opposite there where the construction displaced them and caused some sort of major swarm.

Maybe so.  I honestly dont know how fragile they are....I would just assume that disrupting their habitat would not end well for them.  But, that is just an assumption.  Maybe they are durable little suckers.

I remember the last wave 17 years ago as well.  Living in Middletown (fred Co) at the time and I was underwhelmed and disappointed.  But, I had many customers in the Bethesda/Potomac/Silver Spring area then and they were certainly swarming down there.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, peepers was my first guess. We actually heard a rash of peepers about 2-3 weeks ago, and a lesser amount yesterday. But what we heard twice yesterday, far back in the woods, was definitely different than the peepers and more like the drone of the periodical cicadas. Not concentrated and certainly not extended....almost like a few early birds were doing a "test drive."   

Think you guys are right. Nothing today. Could have been the IPAs I had. Sorry for the false alarm!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, WeatherShak said:

Think you guys are right. Nothing today. Could have been the IPAs I had. Sorry for the false alarm!

Heard something similar to the ‘cadas last week while mowing the lawn. And then found this. (IPAs were def involved here too...)

F4E9492D-FD00-4168-8C90-BB7DAB179ABC.jpeg

• Like 3

9 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yeah, the 2038 brood will come from eggs laid on existing trees.  Not surprising that there aren't any near the house.

Yup. It’s just interesting that they don’t really move at all from where they dropped 17 years prior. You’d think they’d at least move a little bit laterally over that amount of time!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mattie g said:

Yup. It’s just interesting that they don’t really move at all from where they dropped 17 years prior. You’d think they’d at least move a little bit laterally over that amount of time!

Its not that surprising.  I have watched my teenage kids not move an inch for hours while staring at Tik Toks.  So cicadas doing the same for years seems normal.

• Like 2
  • Haha 8
  • Weenie 1

Ha that was funny H2O!  It will be interesting how it goes in our neighborhood.  In 2004, the large development was relatively new with the houses built between 1994 and 1998.  Most trees were pretty small, but there are woods on the edges and MAN it was loud coming from there.  Now 17 years later we are getting a canopy.  We'll see how many laid eggs on those smaller trees back then.

On another note -- anyone get those annoying annual cicadas each year?  The past couple of summers just a few of those darn things have made it unpleasant to sit on the deck.  Damn things screech all day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

Ha that was funny H2O!  It will be interesting how it goes in our neighborhood.  In 2004, the large development was relatively new with the houses built between 1994 and 1998.  Most trees were pretty small, but there are woods on the edges and MAN it was loud coming from there.  Now 17 years later we are getting a canopy.  We'll see how many laid eggs on those smaller trees back then.

On another note -- anyone get those annoying annual cicadas each year?  The past couple of summers just a few of those darn things have made it unpleasant to sit on the deck.  Damn things screech all day.

Oh, yeah -- the annual cicadas are a huge PITA when we get to late June to early September. I've always felt that their buzzing was far louder and annoying than the periodical cicadas, and it makes sitting outside in that timeframe just unbearable at times.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, BlizzardNole said:

I love the annuals...crack my window just enough in summer to listen to them at night.  I guess it is perception.   I love the sounds of nature after years in the city as a "young adult".  City sounds were  fun at the time but I will take cicadas any day now that I am old!

Not a fan of crickets though...can't stand crickets.

In 2004 I had bought my first townhouse in a development built in 1992.  There was buzzing for sure but not terrible.  Now I live a few miles away  in a heavily wooded neighborhood built in 1983.  The trees/wooded area that edge my lawn are over 60 feet tall and have been around for a LONG time.   My neighbors who are original owners and have lived through 2 cycles now tell me the noise will be deafening and I should be careful what I wish for.

I say "Bring It!"

• Like 2

21 hours ago, wxtrix said:

i also love the annual cicadas. their song means that summer has really arrived. and the cacophony of a summer night south of the Mason-Dixon line is one of my favorite things about my adopted home.

and I too HATE crickets. pure creepy awfulness.

@cape,  you have those "spider" crickets where you live?  We see them at the place in Bethany all the time.  THey creep my daughter our big time. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, toolsheds said:

@cape,  you have those "spider" crickets where you live?  We see them at the place in Bethany all the time.  THey creep my daughter our big time. 

UGH. "Sprickets" -- I hate those things. Sometimes I see them this time of year around our basement bathroom and/or drains, but haven't yet. And to @wxtrix's point -- nothing drives me battier than a lone regular cricket that's found a way into the house, especially at night. Because then you can't UN-HEAR the damn thing...nor ever find it.  :/ 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

UGH. "Sprickets" -- I hate those things. Sometimes I see them this time of year around our basement bathroom and/or drains, but haven't yet. And to [mention=71]wxtrix[/mention]'s point -- nothing drives me battier than a lone regular cricket that's found a way into the house, especially at night. Because then you can't UN-HEAR the damn thing...nor ever find it.  :/ 

I was wondering what those things were! Had dozens of them in a crawl space in my new home!

• Like 1