• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Cicadas 2021 - Brood X

FXW176

Cicada killer (wasps) typically don't show their buzzing asses until end of June (earliest) and get into full swing here by mid July.  Way past periodical cicada season.  They do hit the annual cicadas pretty hard though.  I remember a few years ago I had a queen buzz me while I was on the zero turn (mower).  At first I thought it was a hummingbird it was so big!  Then I realized what it was and when I made my pass back I saw why.  I mowed right over its burrow and it looked like a gopher did it!  What amazing diggers they are.  We get them near the sidewalk, I'll take the blower to their mounds in the evening and by late morning the next day the dirt is back on the walkway and there is a mound a few inches tall.  I need to set up a timelapse.

• Like 6

On 2/23/2021 at 10:53 PM, wxtrix said:

i was living in DC (Cathedral Heights) when the last swarm emerged. as they came out of the ground i could see them on my window screens. I lived near a big wooded park and the noise in my neighborhood (full of trees) was deafening. I had a tree right outside my apartment and it was absolutely covered with cicadas.

I was apprehensive about it, but they are harmless and bumbling. you'll see the newly emerged ones upside down on the street. I used to turn them right side up as I headed to my bus stop.

I was living in DC as well, and it was amazing the difference between one part of town and another just based on that.  I remember the residential part of Tenleytown being an absolute racket and with plenty of dead cicadas plastered to the sidewalks, while areas like Capitol Hill were not that bad in comparison.

I guess this would also be the thread to post Beethoven insults if anyone is inclined.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/1/2021 at 8:12 PM, fourseasons said:

I was living in DC as well, and it was amazing the difference between one part of town and another just based on that.  I remember the residential part of Tenleytown being an absolute racket and with plenty of dead cicadas plastered to the sidewalks, while areas like Capitol Hill were not that bad in comparison.

I guess this would also be the thread to post Beethoven insults if anyone is inclined.

Hey man, the hill staffers gotta eat SOMETIME.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Anyone have sensors measuring soil temperature?

For a 17 year event this may prove worth it! ;)

Indeed.

Meanwhile I'm precariously close to the southern edge of the forecasted swarm area here in northern VA with over 8 weeks to go. I can't afford any northward shifts. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Imagine all the pool parties for Memorial Day weekend that are going to be ruined by these bugs!

My daughters birthday is May 11, so I think she’s ok. My wife’s 40th is June 8...not looking good. I told her I’ll sauté some cicadas for an appetizer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

My daughters birthday is May 11, so I think she’s ok. My wife’s 40th is June 8...not looking good. I told her I’ll sauté some cicadas for an appetizer. 

My dear, you're the best thing that ever happened to me, marrying you was the smartest thing I ever did, we'll celebrate your milestone in September.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2021 at 7:16 PM, DanTheMan said:

I have a straight up phobia of wasps and hornets. The Cicadas I can live with.  

I have a phobia of bugs period. The stinkbugs here are unbelievable. I was seeing 10+ every day in the big front window. Get them with the bugzooka and 10 more were there to take their place the next day. One fell on my head while making dinner last week and then squared up on me after I brushed it to the floor :lol:. I’ve never seen one stand just on their back legs before. I wish I had taken a picture. Exterminator was out 2 days later.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why this is a big deal? What am I missing?

What isn't cool about an animal that sleeps and Netflix and chills in dirt for 17 years and suddenly wakes up to eat and bone for a few weeks?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was a senior at Towson for 2004 and it was incredible. Once thing to look for is damage to the outer branches of trees. You will see brown spots of leaves. I must have been in some sort of epicenter as everything was covered with them. Just walking around meant crunching dozens. 

Great point. I remember at the end of and just after brood emergence that year, so many of the mature trees in my area looked like they were decorated in "brown icicles" -- where the last 6"-12" of tree branches and twigs wither or die off from female cicadas cutting egg slits into them. It was odd seeing the mixed green/brown for the remainder of that summer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was a senior at Towson for 2004 and it was incredible. Once thing to look for is damage to the outer branches of trees. You will see brown spots of leaves. I must have been in some sort of epicenter as everything was covered with them. Just walking around meant crunching dozens. 

Yeah I was like 16. I remember playing baseball up at Delaney Valley high school I think and they were literally everywhere in the field. It was weird lol

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...