Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Looking Back: Feb 10, 2010 storm

LVwxHistorian

4 hours ago, LVwxHistorian said:

Just saw this in Storm Data and wondering if anyone got caught in it, feb. 10, 2010:

“About 200 motorists and 180 tractor-trailers were stranded for up to 12 hours on a five mile stretch of Interstate 78 as large drifts occurred."

still not as bad as the infamous Valentines Massacre sleet/snow  storm of 2007 that caused Gov Rendell to go bye bye.That storm will live in infamy for me and for those who use I-78 and I-81. I never shoveled almost 10 inches of solid sleet before that storm. I was tired as hell. The temps never got higher than 19 degrees that evening and even fell more.  PADOT  decided to rely on salt and never kept the blades down on the road and did not have enough trucks out plowing and was quickly overwhelmed by the sleet packing down by the trucks. The ice accumulation on the road surface was unbelievable near the Krumsville exit.. Traffic just stopped and people were left in their vehicles for over 24 hours. 

• Weenie 1

That was my first winter back in PA after leaving for the service in '95. I brought back my wife, who was born and raised in SoCal. I recall telling her something along the lines of: "No worries babe, it doesn't snow all that much, maybe once every few years we get something meaningful, but usually winters are completely manageable." So that was her first taste of PA winter weather, ha!

Also worthy of note, after we moved back in May '09, her car was nearly totaled by hail, she caught poison ivy so bad that both of her arms were in bandages for weeks, she fell on the ice and nearly broke her butt in December, and then we got those back-to-back snowstorms in January and February. It felt almost as if PA was actively trying to maim/kill her.

She's since grown to love the climate here though. Turned into a total weenie. :)

• Weenie 1

A few memories about this storm...

Coming off the weekend storm, I remember Ralph saying he "wasn't feeling" this one. Guess Ralph was using reverse psychology way back when.

That morning, someone in the Philly forum (it was probably still  Eastern and I don't recall who) said their wife was pulled over by the police and told to go home, because she wouldn't be able to get home by the afternoon.

Also that morning, someone in the MA forum posted in ours saying if what they were currently getting was headed our way, hang on!

The storm itself may not have been on par with '96, PDII or some other all timers, but in my opinion, that was the greatest week of winter weather I've experienced.

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

A few memories about this storm...

Coming off the weekend storm, I remember Ralph saying he "wasn't feeling" this one. Guess Ralph was using reverse psychology way back when.

That morning, someone in the Philly forum (it was probably still  Eastern and I don't recall who) said their wife was pulled over by the police and told to go home, because she wouldn't be able to get home by the afternoon.

Also that morning, someone in the MA forum posted in ours saying if what they were currently getting was headed our way, hang on!

The storm itself may not have been on par with '96, PDII or some other all timers, but in my opinion, that was the greatest week of winter weather I've experienced.

PDII?  president's day 2003?

• Weenie 1

2 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

That was my first winter back in PA after leaving for the service in '95. I brought back my wife, who was born and raised in SoCal. I recall telling her something along the lines of: "No worries babe, it doesn't snow all that much, maybe once every few years we get something meaningful, but usually winters are completely manageable." So that was her first taste of PA winter weather, ha!

Also worthy of note, after we moved back in May '09, her car was nearly totaled by hail, she caught poison ivy so bad that both of her arms were in bandages for weeks, she fell on the ice and nearly broke her butt in December, and then we got those back-to-back snowstorms in January and February. It felt almost as if PA was actively trying to maim/kill her.

She's since grown to love the climate here though. Turned into a total weenie. :)

when was that hail, may 2010??

22 hours ago, LVwxHistorian said:

when was that hail, may 2010??

2009. A swath of ice-cube-sized hail swept through Oxford, PA. I remember watching it smashing up all the cars in the Redner's parking lot from inside the grocery store's entryway, ours included. Luckily none of our glass was broken, but the first estimate for repairs actually totaled the car until the shop readjusted the estimate slightly. Was something like ~$5k worth of damage.

Favorite memory of this storm and I swear this is 100% a true story:

I got a BJ out by the Millersville softball field bleachers during the WAA thump that first night. It was my freshman year, and I think it was a Friday so we went out drinking despite the storm. Anyway we are out drinking all night as the storm rolled in and finally decided to walk back to our dorm which was right across from the softball field. I was freaking out because it was heavy, heavy snow.  My girlfriend at the time obviously knew I was a huge weenie/met major and thought it'd be a good idea... It wasn't as great as I thought it would be... Cold was an understatement... But still crossed one off the weenie bucket list that night though! Epic storm! :snowman::weenie::snowman::weenie:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Favorite memory of this storm and I swear this is 100% a true story:

I got a BJ out by the Millersville softball field bleachers during the WAA thump that first night. It was my freshman year, and I think it was a Friday so we went out drinking despite the storm. Anyway we are out drinking all night as the storm rolled in and finally decided to walk back to our dorm which was right across from the softball field. I was freaking out because it was heavy, heavy snow.  My girlfriend at the time obviously knew I was a huge weenie/met major and thought it'd be a good idea... It wasn't as great as I thought it would be... Cold was an understatement... But still crossed one off the weenie bucket list that night though! Epic storm! :snowman::weenie::snowman::weenie:

In more ways than one. Thanks for sharing, lol. That was thoughtful of her! 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

It was certified based on the trained observer and NWS certification see attached record

1899 Feb.jpg

That is one heck of a first half of February.  Double the average annual snowfall in two weeks and bitter cold!  Quite a scene- I remember it like it was yesterday...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

It was certified based on the trained observer and NWS certification see attached record

1899 Feb.jpg

Winter of Yore month for sure. A deep arctic air mass attacked with a mega moisture feed probably a captured Miller B like this month. 

But ended with an inch of rain and a grinch torch week. This weenie would have been crushed.

• Like 1