Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

20 hours ago, jbenedet said:

Seems there’s always some hell to pay.

If we’re going to -NAO in early spring, make it big. That typically means the consistent dank/misery mist is sent to the mid Atlantic and we are about average with surface HP overhead. “Best in Maine“ has been a recurring theme in past few April’s...

That’s my bet at the moment. Better weather north.

The 00z entire modeling technology ambit was interminably worse, too -  what a godless pattern that is ... 

Regardless of race, creed, color or country of origin, pick a model ... the are unredeemable.  Euro displays D10, 850 mb warm plumes over the D. Straight/lower Greenland regions to +2 C in pockets, while Maine is -12 C at 850 ..failing that 2nd bold notion as though by agenda to do so.  Just perfectly wrong setting up NOT getting us to your "back door" idea of suppression  - I mean it may ultimately get there.. who knows, but zippo redemption model run for anything beyond D7. 

I'm leaving New England March 15 to May 3rd every year ... just need a windfall.  Not sure how you people can live like this

As an aside, something like that happened in the 2010 winter, when a -6 SD west based NAO brought what pretty much amounted to a planetary storm to the M/A ... that theory of L/W being the real event, and each S/W is like a single squall within.  For a couple of weeks, Maine was getting mild and sunny from the Atlantic.. while DC was handing out 18" events from Pez clicks.  

I wonder if that larger circulation circumstance can actually pay 'bootleg dividends' in spring though... The difference between the winter variant of that synoptic scenario occurring now...is the sun.   During the solar nadior, roughly November 8 to February 8, the difference in insolation and diabatic differentiation across the hemisphere is actually a smaller gradient than now...when it Atlanta GA and Boston MA and NF are on a thermal slope.  That changes "what" is backing SW a bit ... 

Lol, I don't think anyone's ever done a qualitative scientific, formally framed up work/paper that discusses being butt-boned in New England -  

40 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Anyone notice how good the new GFS is? From its first run until now it has been almost the same for today..  

It has only been on-line for 3 ..4 days though ?  ...give or take.

which is good for at or < 4 days  - I think perhaps expectations on modeling could at times use a reality tap on the shoulder.  But, most of the problems with it is/were in the middle+ ranged handling. 

We'll have to see how the mid range, D4 to 7 starts to fall out in the verifications.  During the last few weeks just prior to the the roll-out, I did notice the same shenanigans of lowering ( tending to..) heights too much on the polar side of the ambient westerlies, ...which tends to augment the already velocity saturated hemisphere that much more.  The speeding aspect/progressive shit's related to a separate causal circuitry ..but the GFS physics seems to then add to that - effectively, cloaking that has that bias.

The N/stream dominance is another way to conceptualize ...it just has too much 'main band' power ..but it is an aspect the emerges out in time/gathering momentum .. such that mid range more so than the first four days is when it is noticeable. 

But it's funny - because who has the right to complain about a D6 model solution anyway -

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The 00z entire modeling technology ambit was interminably worse, too -  what a godless pattern that is ... 

Regardless of race, creed, color or country of origin, pick a model ... the are unredeemable.  Euro displays D10, 850 mb warm plumes over the D. Straight/lower Greenland regions to +2 C in pockets, while Maine is -12 C at 850 ..failing that 2nd bold notion as though by agenda to do so.  Just perfectly wrong setting up NOT getting us to your "back door" idea of suppression  - I mean it may ultimately get there.. who knows, but zippo redemption model run for anything beyond D7. 

I'm leaving New England March 15 to May 3rd every year ... just need a windfall.  Not sure how you people can live like this

As an aside, something like that happened in the 2010 winter, when a -6 SD west based NAO brought what pretty much amounted to a planetary storm to the M/A ... that theory of L/W being the real event, and each S/W is like a single squall within.  For a couple of weeks, Maine was getting mild and sunny from the Atlantic.. while DC was handing out 18" events from Pez clicks.  

I wonder if that larger circulation circumstance can actually pay 'bootleg dividends' in spring though... The difference between the winter variant of that synoptic scenario occurring now...is the sun.   During the solar nadior, roughly November 8 to February 8, the difference in insolation and diabatic differentiation across the hemisphere is actually a smaller gradient than now...when it Atlanta GA and Boston MA and NF are on a thermal slope.  That changes "what" is backing SW a bit ... 

Lol, I don't think anyone's ever done a qualitative scientific, formally framed up work/paper that discusses being butt-boned in New England -  

Yea give it time. Let guidance digest what the modeled teleconnections are showing. 
back doors heading to ACY — Closer to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick you are, the better.

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Probably just my perception.  I don’t have any data.  It just felt like we have had a bunch of higher wind events since last summer/early autumn.  

I dunno', I think WNE has been pretty windy the past few months.  There is almost zero data for most of Franklin Co. so tough to say.

8 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

Yeah--that changed once Romney got into office.  I think we still give people the option to pay a higher rate if they choose.  I think about 3 people choose to do that each year--probably from Somerville.  Now we're Maskachussetts.  :)

Long before Romney.   I noticed it when I moved from California (then much less blue) 30 years ago.

Pretty impressive synoptic +RA right now. As usual I have flooding around my run and an f'ed up gutter on the backside. I was able to each out the bathroom window to sorta fix it, but at least it's only a few drips now instead of a sieve. Not sure what's wrong with my run drainage as the pipe is clear on the back side. Either there's ice or woodchips in the pipe buried underneath. I've got the water running around the run and down the back field where my pawpaw orchard is now. I've built up the run with enough woodchips now that it's turning into a mini moat.

My soil temp at 6" is still showing 32F so it's still frozen down there and all of this water is pooling/flowing through the yard without soaking in. I was hoping these 41F rains would get down to that level and help melt that frost layer, but no dice yet. Of course it's thawed out near the house and all of the water is freely seeping into my basement.

41.3F +RA 0.57" as of right now.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1