Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yes, with a 500 gallon propane tank.

I was able to start it manually. Apparently when it last tried to exercise a couple weeks ago it faulted and entered an error state instead of staying on auto.

High-end.. nice work.  Power companies are pretty good with weather too in the mountains, shouldn't be more than a few hours at most (unless it's a localized "completely f'ed)."  I feel like I saw your neighbor mention losing power a few times but probably before you moved in.  This is a high-end weather event IMO relative to climo.  The upper level energy was strong and the warm air advection with it was strong.  It was primed to lead to pockets of wind damage as the leading edge of that H5 vort max swung through.  At least it's been an interesting day meteorologically.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

High-end.. nice work.  Power companies are pretty good with weather too in the mountains, shouldn't be more than a few hours at most (unless it's a localized "completely f'ed)."  I feel like I saw your neighbor mention losing power a few times but probably before you moved in.  This is a high-end weather event IMO relative to climo.  The upper level energy was strong and the warm air advection with it was strong.  It was primed to lead to pockets of wind damage as the leading edge of that H5 vort max swung through.  At least it's been an interesting day meteorologically.

The CoCoRaHS guy fairly frequently reports power losses, or at least that's the excuse he uses for late reports sometimes. LOL

Sometimes "computer issues" too. haha 

I think he is running on solar up there kinda "off the grid" just based on what I have seen of his place, so his power outages may have no bearing on what's going on elsewhere.

It's funny because there was an Eversource truck here just yesterday. They told me I need to replace one of the poles on my property to make it taller to accommodate a coax line for Internet. Seems pretty crazy to me since it only has a power line on it now. Plenty of room. I think they jinxed it.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

One of my favorite spring storms

Some older friends of mine, tell tale of standing in cold rain to get into the Spectrum in Philly that night, to see the Grateful Dead, and walking out after the concert to several inches of snow on the ground.

I remember getting released early from school due to deteriorating conditions.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

One of my favorite spring storms

I was 13 at the time and it was the first early dismissal I can remember. Also my uncle was plowing snow on Boston at the time and had to dump some of it in our driveway. We made a snow fort out of it and it lasted two or three weeks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

I was oblivious and in Florida as my dad passed suddenly 2 days earlier.   But I made the bell for 97.

Ouch sorry for that memory being jogged. The real anomaly was the cold that was enveloped and stuck around.  It wasn't your typical April snow melting the next day to oblivion.  As 8611Blizz pointed out above, the snow was around for a while.  It wasn't until late on the 3rd day after the storm did we even break freezing. Truly wintry in April for almost a week.  As crazy as 4 1 97 was, this storm and the cold after was record setting. 4/7/82 is still the coldest April day ever seen in SNE, and the coldest 3 day April period ever. One could easiily argue the most wintry April period on record.

Screenshot_20210327-053321_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210327-053404_Chrome.jpg