Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had one go thru here 12:10-12:25, only a few minutes RA+ but immediately before that had a strike within 100' of the house.  I was looking out the front window when everything lit up with KA-BOOM-BOOM (2 near-instantaneous crashes, maybe including an echo off the house.)  Looked out the side and saw a sizable puff of smoke (or condensation - was not out there to sniff which) about 20 yards away.  No visible sign of what it struck but there's a 90' white pine 10 yards farther from the house and directly behind that puff of whatever.  I can still feel the adrenalin and our dog is panting like she's just run half a mile.  Temp was 47 before the TS nd 46 after, and have had solid clouds all day though the earlier fog was gone before the storm.

Damn T glad you are OK

20 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Had one go thru here 12:10-12:25, only a few minutes RA+ but immediately before that had a strike within 100' of the house.  I was looking out the front window when everything lit up with KA-BOOM-BOOM (2 near-instantaneous crashes, maybe including an echo off the house.)  Looked out the side and saw a sizable puff of smoke (or condensation - was not out there to sniff which) about 20 yards away.  No visible sign of what it struck but there's a 90' white pine 10 yards farther from the house and directly behind that puff of whatever.  I can still feel the adrenalin and our dog is panting like she's just run half a mile.  Temp was 47 before the TS nd 46 after, and have had solid clouds all day though the earlier fog was gone before the storm.

I have been up close and personal to one before, You know its close when its a spontaneous flash/bang just a second apart, Glad you ok, Tom.

• Like 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

More of a blue flash than white is also a sign it's very close, in my experience.

Was at a golf course and watched a white pine get obliterated about 50yds from the clubhouse with wood chards scattered over 100' away and the tree burning.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Was at a golf course and watched a white pine get obliterated about 50yds from the clubhouse with wood chards scattered over 100' away and the tree burning.

A tree that our clothes line was attached to got hit about 4 years ago. Cool scar running down it. Yep blue flash and instant boom. Thought for sure the windows would blow. Lightning sucks

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

When I was a kid (10-14 years old??) we were visiting Bowdoin College for some reason.  A severe storm rolled through and we were sheltering under some overhang. A giant flash and instant boom and a large bolt hit a big tree about 50-100 feet away.  Bark and wood scattered everywhere.  I kept a chunch of the bark for some reason for many years.  Big pine

• Like 1

Terrible extrapolation from D5 to 6 on this Euro ...

that screams as over modification of the flow do to correction scheming they wash their solutions with at that seam.

Just look at the southern aspect of the trough at D 5, and not that it is sloping positive and weakening, as it should against high heights over the SE ...  Yet, D 6...it just suddenly materializes all that mechanical power? 

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

A tree that our clothes line was attached to got hit about 4 years ago. Cool scar running down it. Yep blue flash and instant boom. Thought for sure the windows would blow. Lightning sucks

I lied about "less than 100 feet" - it was more like 165, where it destroyed a once-75-foot-tall fir.  It blew a 5-foot "splinter halfway to our house and a much smaller one 110' the other way.  Most of the tree is horizontal but there's a 45' spike standing, and the top - about 25 feet of it - is lodged at 45° angle in a neighboring tree.  Now I'll try again to compact the pics I took so they'll fit under the max size limit.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That is one pretty damn cold airmass behind that front Thursday and it looks almost anafrontal like. Certainly could see many end as some snow when all said and done. Maybe some room for some type of accumulation well up north

image.png.0bc21a9781c2b38b640c9e8556e25f92.png

Nice jet structure too

image.png.d207904530f24abb114554c28296636a.png

Buy

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

That is one pretty damn cold airmass behind that front Thursday and it looks almost anafrontal like. Certainly could see many end as some snow when all said and done. Maybe some room for some type of accumulation well up north

image.png.0bc21a9781c2b38b640c9e8556e25f92.png

Nice jet structure too

image.png.d207904530f24abb114554c28296636a.png

Analfrontals rarely work out. This has all the earmarks of looking great on models until 2 days out and then slowly , succinctly.. each run backs off sensing progressive flow and we’re left with a fropa. Happened multiple times this winter. Do not buy in 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Analfrontals rarely work out. This has all the earmarks of looking great on models until 2 days out and then slowly , succinctly.. each run backs off sensing progressive flow and we’re left with a fropa. Happened multiple times this winter. Do not buy in 

Well we are getting a fropa...not expecting a big snow event or accumulating snow. but I do think many have potential to end as a burst of snow and maybe someone up north accumulates some. Could actually make a small argument for some decent snows across northern Maine.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I lied about "less than 100 feet" - it was more like 165, where it destroyed a once-75-foot-tall fir.  It blew a 5-foot "splinter halfway to our house and a much smaller one 110' the other way.  Most of the tree is horizontal but there's a 45' spike standing, and the top - about 25 feet of it - is lodged at 45° angle in a neighboring tree.  Now I'll try again to compact the pics I took so they'll fit under the max size limit.

Look forward to the pics