Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I posted about that earlier. Huge difference in the melt today with 63/53 and little sun versus 63/13 and all day blues.

Yeah just gone from down here in the valley... poof with the dews.  It was like nothing was happening at 60+ degrees when dews were in the teens.  One day of 50 dews and she gone.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah just gone from down here in the valley... poof with the dews.  It was like nothing was happening at 60+ degrees when dews were in the teens.  One day of 50 dews and she gone.

Just like the Xmas eve torch with 60F dews. 3ft vanished faster than Pope after a bust.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We had a nice ZR storm up here in April a few years ago. It can happen with a strong enough ageostrophic flow and a thick enough deck even during the day and a little below freezing. It doesn’t take much insolation to ruin the accretion though. A good SWFE has no problem socking us in to the dark misery though.

Think there is any chance of a blue bomb here with this one?

• Weenie 1

Just now, PhineasC said:

Think there is any chance of a blue bomb here with this one?

Honestly I haven’t been following it enough. I’ve been checked out for the past week outside of watching for backdoors. I’ll look more later after I lock the birds up.

• Like 2

Funny y'all noticing that about pack loss rates ... I was thinking on my b-ride that today feels like the real first mild day of the year - ...those other ones were like shot across the bow and had that kind of "fake warmth" feel to them.. .even into the low 70s it didn't feel quite the same because the evap rate was so high you still sort of got annoyed by the breeze ? somethin like that -

14 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Funny y'all noticing that about pack loss rates ... I was thinking on my b-ride that today feels like the real first mild day of the year - ...those other ones were like shot across the bow and had that kind of "fake warmth" feel to them.. .even into the low 70s it didn't feel quite the same because the evap rate was so high you still sort of got annoyed by the breeze ? somethin like that -

Yeah i think the wet bulbs were still in like the upper 30s up here when it was 63F at 8% RH.  It reminded me of a trip to the Arizona hills in April a few years back when the super dry air would have it feel like summer at 75F in the sun, but literally the minute the shadow grew in the evening it would drop to under 50F in what felt like minutes.  The type of stuff where hikers in the Grand Canyon are struggling due to heat exhaustion and then like 2-3 hours later going hypothermic with the loss of the sun in those 3-4% RH air masses where they do 50-60 degree diurnal ranges on the Canyon floors.  The wet bulb is still so low.

31 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

So often we try to explain the effect of dewpoints on snow melt and it is lost on the shut um down rains to Maine kids.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rimetree said:

Hit 59 today. Sea fog rolling in now. Don't think we hit 70 here for a while.

Went from drinking a nice IPA on the porch while playing some acoustic guitar in the sun to that fog rolling through in a matter of minutes. Not great...but I’ll take it over being in the southeast right now!

0D69FCA4-8F4F-450A-BF65-E8532C5B2517.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

I've seen a few mosquitos over the past 2 days...36 hours after low of 24F. Peepers are also out in full force tonight. Looking like an early end to the maple season, atleast in S NH. 

Been pleasantly surprised here with the biting bugs. Everyone warned me about the black flies, but I don't think I had any last year, or if I did they were not bothersome at all and I never noticed them. I also didn't have too many issues with mosquitoes, nothing too irksome at least compared to anywhere else. The mosquitoes we did have were comically huge though -- like three times the size of a mosquito from MD. My property is very marshy in spots so I was expecting a lot of those bastards.

We did have some huge hornets in May and June. Freaking fat assholes buzzing you all day and flying around the house. They seemed to die down by July. Also many large moths swarming every light. The bugs here are all super-sized, it seems, like a prehistoric land that time forgot.

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Spring was nice while it lasted. 

No way to run a Torch Drought...

Gusty winds and beneficial
rain are expected on Sunday as a warm front approaches the
region, followed by a cold front. Dry, cooler, and breezy
conditions to start next week, before we warm up again by
Wednesday. The mild weather will be short-lived as rain and
cooler weather looks likely for Thursday. It could even end as
some snow showers in the higher terrain late Thursday.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kdxken said:

No way to run a Torch Drought...

Gusty winds and beneficial
rain are expected on Sunday as a warm front approaches the
region, followed by a cold front. Dry, cooler, and breezy
conditions to start next week, before we warm up again by
Wednesday. The mild weather will be short-lived as rain and
cooler weather looks likely for Thursday. It could even end as
some snow showers in the higher terrain late Thursday.

Now that's an epic block

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_10.png

gfs_z500a_nhem_45.png

• Like 1