Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

4 hours ago, George001 said:

Holy shit euro is a blizzard for next weeks storm. 1003 millibars in NE Virginia to 978 millibars right over Nantucket in just 24 hours. I can’t see the snow map or precip on tropical tidbits but looking at the upper level temps, and 500 millibar setup it screams blizzard. Thats a rain to blizzard April 1st 1997 setup on the Euro.

I saw the snow map and for your info it shows 4-5 feet for much of the east coast...start your snowfall forecast there and adjust upwards as the storm under goes quad bimbogenesis until bottoming up out at 820....the euro  also has a follow up blizzard 2 days later....looks even worse....

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

12 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

I saw the snow map and for your info it shows 4-5 feet for much of the east coast...start your snowfall forecast there and adjust upwards as the storm under goes quad bimbogenesis until bottoming up out at 820....the euro  also has a follow up blizzard 2 days later....looks even worse....

Is there even a glimpse of hope with this storm ( and I know 4-5 get is impossible..even if it was January ). There has been several models showing this for a while now. Wouldn't that be a lick in the leg. Lololol. Although, it would be one of those rare sights. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Is there even a glimpse of hope with this storm ( and I know 4-5 get is impossible..even if it was January ). There has been several models showing this for a while now. Wouldn't that be a lick in the leg. Lololol. Although, it would be one of those rare sights. 

Um he was being snarky

Just now, Snowcrazed71 said:

Much like Matt Noyes ,George has his own in house model...the Navblizz....

15 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Whatever it is you’re smoking, can I have a quantity of 100 of that thing please 

1 minute ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Not in the slightest sense possible. Late season snow, possible, but this guy is off smoking the good stuff 

a low that deep (820 when lowest ever was 870) hasn’t and probably will never be recorded in our lifetimes. 

• Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Whatever it is you’re smoking, can I have a quantity of 100 of that thing please 

Not in the slightest sense possible. Late season snow, possible, but this guy is off smoking the good stuff 

a low that deep (820 when lowest ever was 870) hasn’t and probably will never be recorded in our lifetimes. 

6 minutes ago, crossbowftw3 said:

Delivered or pick up????....

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

These low to mid 20s in the morning are putting a damper on anything popping here. Not even daffodils have emerged

Pop, locking, and dropping here. I have stuff emerge with temps in the 20s all the time. Just needs sun during the day.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Textbook sap run weather.

Yeah it is flowing from all accounts I hear.

19F this morning here and going back into the 60s again.  Very hard freeze each night and then very warm day times.  It's crazy that you can get a high in the 60s under sunshine but then spend 12+ hours below freezing during the 24 hour period.

The overnight lows will keep the departures from getting all that high.

15 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

It's wide everywhere below Merrymeeting Bay save the double-back at Doubling Point.  It's 1.5 miles across from mi casa to Day's Ferry.  I'm on a 'cliff' 10' above the mean high tide.  We worry not.

image.png.001409bbc3c6689bd7ac4147d2174262.png

Agreed, and the ice went out without needing the CG icebreaker this year.  I mentioned 2/2/76 because southerly winds that day gusted 100+ in Penobscot Bay, pushing water north such that it rose 15' in 15 minutes at BGR, with water 10-12' deep in the Kenduskeag Plaza parking lots.  I've never read how far above MHW that was, but surely more than 10'.  Kennebec's geography would limit such a surge.

Edit:  59/19 yesterday, only dropped the depth 1" (to 11") thanks to the low start and glacial pack.  This AM was slightly cooler than yesterday's, with a >40° climb upcoming.  Today will make 15 sunny days this month, most ever for March and only one day from the most for any month here.  Let the sap gush.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, uncletim said:

This perspective really communicates how anomalously big Mt. Washington is for eastern North America. Nothing else close.

In that picture for sure.

But Katahdin is a monster too for the northeast, at about a mile high...but it’s northeast of the whites,  so you can’t get a perspective. Washington is still a thousand feet higher, but Katahdin is very impressive in its own right, and very anomalous as well for N.E. imo.