• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

Operational Euro seems to have subtly bumped back optimistically for mid, next week... but it may not be enough for coastal zones.

Saturday and Sunday still look like gem days - ...late recovery Saturday with longish day, high sun and general synoptic evolution.  I mean... relative to what probably those days 'should' be like on March 20 and 21 of any given year - heh. 

Now that we are within a couple of days of Saturday, the Euro gets cute with details.  It is displaying the 21 thru 00z 850 mb temp layout with 'hole-punching' ... +1C islets amid a sea of 0 C...  that is happening because of boundary layer cycling ... a nice demo of unabated post Equinoxial sun's intensity forcing the air mass...  I have seen it be 58 F over a solid snow pack in late February, with light wind, open sky sun and 0 C at 850 mb.  Saturday is a candidate for exceeding MOS .. but it may be a late high.  The key there is unabated solar - that high pressure centered White Plains -ish NY and destined to E of CC over those next 48 hours is offering means to mute the ocean cold from pouring inland for one, and it becomes a pure 'nape' and perhaps outright mild.

Sunday probably exceeds 70 F in the deeper interior I bet .. Thanks to high pressure, slacked gradient with still open sky and 850s' securely > 0 C...  However, folks withing 20 miles of the south and east coast, heh - that high is retreating in a bit of shitty direction frankly.  I mean ... it won't be cat pawing at 38 F exactly... but one should expect a gradation of mild appeal ... pretty steeply sloped into pissed of chill in a Euro total evolution.  Figure 47 at Logan, and 71 on the lee side of the hills.

The ocean/harbor SSTs being seasonally at a nadir any air motion from that source ...see ya.  It will abruptly destroy any gossamer March "warm up"  ... If future guidance backs off that over produced vortex off the U.S. SE coast ( which looks over baked to me given to the mid levels as an aside ..) then the retreating high may do so ... 100 clicks S; that would stem onshore wind and in fact, may get it more SW ..such that Metrowest isn't as annoyed.   I just you can't depart high pressure straight E - as a spring nape/warm enthusiast and avid nerd .. I can honestly say, I hate that.   The wind will go perpendicular to the gradient beneath the elevation of the Prudential Tower all the way out to the Worcester Hills when that happens. I've seen it be 45 F at Logan under 588 heights in late May because the high position was due E Boston.

Tuesday+ ... forget it... That is like almost bona fide windy out of the SE penetrating the whole region. Partly to mostly sunny and UNpleasantly robbed from the previous signal that looked like we were getting a nice 4 days balm .. Having said that, is is not as bad as it looked for this aspect, as was the case in 12z yesterday so ... perhaps this can trend less annoying. 

In March in SNE?  Nah...

28 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

it's gonna be a very long 8-9 months until the next busted snow forecasts

Not really.  Was a great winter for me. Between 50” here at home, and sledding up north, I’m completely satisfied, and ready for spring and summer.  No regrets here on winter 20-21.

• Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We always find a way to keep busy in here with busted severe threats and under-performing heat waves.

I'm telling ya ... other hobbies haha...

Nah, I don't think people were complaining about busted this or that last October when it snowed a legit snow event prior to Halloween by a couple of days.

Obviously -...allowing for folks to vent their hyperbole.  We get it ... but just sayn'    we can't always get what we want in this recenty "invented culture" made possible by internet technology plus forecast modeling/graphical cinema.

You know...we've talk about this 'conditionalizing' aspect in the past, but it seems apropos in this moment here.  Like, what an amazing stroke of fated timing - that we would see the advent of the internet and the ability, in itself, to formulate that culture as described there, at precisely the same 25 years the climate has gone completely bonkers and have been throwing out +4 SD cold(hot), dry(wet), calm(windy), rain(snow) events like Pez dispensers. 

I mean, what if we had this ways and means to formulate this internet society of weather cinema enthusiasts ...in a dearth of active climate?   I just wonder - would people grouse the same way?  I don't think so...because having not been exposed to regular snow threats in October ( :arrowhead: ) ... they wouldn't be so quick to negate that experience when constructing any such personal impression ...like not getting fun out of this -

in other words, spoiled.  Lot of elegant rhetoric ...condensed to one word -

But it's not just weather...The whole internet and access to information and "event drama" ...is a saturating high.  And looking out the window at actual reality ...? It's unbearable uninspired compared to the drug e-psychotropic realm inside of the manufactured reality of modern tech... But I'm digressing...  This in here, what we do ? it's just our version of suffering the same saturation/'over-stimulus' ...and folks not only have trouble putting it down, they start to believe the stimulus is the real 'reality' and stampede the Capitol  - in that metaphor, we outrage and mere normalcy

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

At least we no longer have to find the closest obs now that KDIT has his own station’s sensor buried in his mulch bed. 

This summer will be the first where we use the BDL temps and the Davis dews. I'm kinda excited.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

tomorrows ridiculously overhyped, model hugging fail sealed it?  :D

Nobody was really over hyping here..there was some potential for some accumulation.  That has since gone away. But no real hyping here I didn’t think. A couple posts about maybe folks being surprised...but you come to expect some of those. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

For a couple more days, but I/we done. 

... seasons change when they do...  

Kind of an oxymoron to say "..We done" and then suggest a couple more days -

which is it  ?  lol ... I know what you meant though.

For me, spring begins on February 8th every year.  

Winter begins on November 8th ...

Why, because I derive pleasure from annoying people... but also, Nov 8 thru Feb 8 is the solar mimimum of the year. That's when the solar insolation power of the sun dish-pans ...even on sunny days ( for example ...) snow packs are resistance at 40 N latitude...  Minimum's duration of course is shorter south, and longer N of our latitude and so on and so on..

The max around here is May 8th through August 8th...and that is summer in my crazy world.  Everything in between those is spring/autumn, respectively...

That's if going by like Math and actual celestial mechanics of astro physics - ...

But, we here on Earth as mere mortals have this pesky bias of being drilled into what effects/affects at a sensible level - ...to our senses, climate lag dictates the seasonal changes ...as ultimately directed by what can be felt and is observable, therein.  Warm weather returns ... buds swell...confused hornets come out of winter slumber addled and pissed off because they haven't had their morning coffee and set to 'dry stinging' anything in their blurry sights - hate that.  But all that usually doesn't really get going until that first April true 4 days of 70 with nighttimes staying well above freezing..   (Usually just before the orchard killer blue urinal cake snow event .... but that's another annoyance altogether )

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

... seasons change when they do...  

Kind of an oxymoron to say "..We done" and then suggest a couple more days -

which is it  ?  lol ... I know what you meant though.

For me, spring begins on February 8th every year.  

Winter begins on November 8th ...

Why, because I derive pleasure from annoying people... but also, Nov 8 thru Feb 8 is the solar mimimum of the year. That's when the solar insolation power of the sun dish-pans ...even on sunny days ( for example ...) snow packs are resistance at 40 N latitude...  Minimum's duration of course is shorter south, and longer N of our latitude and so on and so on..

The max around here is May 8th through August 8th...and that is summer in my crazy world.  Everything in between those is spring/autumn, respectively...

That's if going by like Math and actual celestial mechanics of astro physics - ...

But, we here on Earth as mere mortals have this pesky bias of being drilled into what effects/affects at a sensible level - ...to our senses, climate lag dictates the seasonal changes ...as ultimately directed by what can be felt and is observable, therein.  Warm weather returns ... buds swell...confused hornets come out of winter slumber addled and pissed off because they haven't had their morning coffee and set to 'dry stinging' anything in their blurry sights - hate that.  But all that usually doesn't really get going until that first April true 4 days of 70 with nighttimes staying well above freezing..   (Usually just before the orchard killer blue urinal cake snow event .... but that's another annoyance altogether )

Although we all appreciate the extended versions of all your posts..... How the he'll do you find the time to do it!!!! Lolol 

44 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

Although we all appreciate the extended versions of all your posts..... How the he'll do you find the time to do it!!!! Lolol 

Jeez ..lol, I mean that's only one legit paragraph otherwise .. a sprinkling of 5 or so sentences -

Yeah I know... hey, that took me 5 minutes to type - and no ..in case anyone is wondering, I am not on my phone at a food pavilion in a Mall or waiting on someone curbside for a ride. I work from home and sometimes days are slow - like today... 

I thought that was funny  - ... 'pissed off hornet looking to sting anything in blurry sights' ... made me laugh typing that -

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

May 8th summer! funniest thing I read today 

I understand what @Typhoon Tip is saying though.  My winter mindset is really Nov 15 to February 15 and summer from May 15 to Aug 15 and then I'm emotionally transitioning to the next season no matter what the models are spitting out.  Yes it snows in March and yes there are September beach days but I'm already shifting gears mentally knowing the end is near.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

May 8th summer! funniest thing I read today 

It always occurs to me ... Dec 21st ithe shortest day of the year.. that's all that is.  It happens to be the solstice.  Maybe the meaning of winter is misnomer'ed over the course of history. But as a climate distinction, it lapses that date enough in either direction depending on the given year's vagaries of the patterns ... There's nothing really magical other than to say, 'shortest day of the year' - doesn't mean much else.

Calendars?  Human invention.  

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I understand what @Typhoon Tip is saying though.  My winter mindset is really Nov 15 to February 15 and summer from May 15 to Aug 15 and then I'm emotionally transitioning to the next season no matter what the models are spitting out.  Yes it snows in March and yes there are September beach days but I'm already shifting gears mentally knowing the end is near.

More than less, yup - but, I also add that the increasing, ...at the other end, dimming, that begins to accelerate in either direction on Feb 8 then Aug 8... - adds to it for coinciding an actual empirical physical metric like the actual sun power. On May 8 that acceleration begins to actually slow through June 21 and tho we lose through Aug 8, ...it speeds up markedly then. 

• Like 1