Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Was that region wide?

Not that bad for NNE while CT/MA/RI all recorded their driest year in 1965.  Also DE/NJ/PA.  NY only missed because the record was set in its western counties where climate is significantly drier.  NYC in 1965 had 6"+ less precip than the 2nd driest, which came the year before.  I can't say how bad the municipal water supplies were in SNE, but Gotham's reservoirs were down to about 3 weeks' supply when the 9/21/66 downpour effectively ended the drought (though that termination only became apparent in the succeeding months.)  Met summer 1966 remains NYC's driest, and also hottest until eclipsed by 2010.

6 minutes ago, George001 said:

Based on what I see on the models today they are close but not quite there when it comes to phasing. This could very well phase and produce a monster ocean low if it keeps trending, but there isn’t a whole lot of time. Instead it looks like the streams will phase a little bit over western NY (a bit better than yesterday’s models having the northern steam diving into central NY, which would allow the low to strengthen a little more). The setup is quite marginal with there not being a strong cold air mass in place, which explains why the models have the storm starting as rain. As it is right now, I’m not really buying the 6-12 snow maps as the low is not strong enough to create its enough cold air to dynamically cool the atmosphere and increase the snow ratios, so the 6-12 inch snow maps would translate to 2-4 inches of wet snow. If we can get that northern stream to dive 200 miles west however it’s a whole nother story.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing you like fiction?

• Like 1

On 3/13/2021 at 12:30 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

I’m with Tip on a mild month overall with 40’s and 50’s. It’s not a cold or snowy pattern at all. I’m honestly not sure where Scooters getting that from. Could it snow if timed right? Sure.. but it’s not a high likelihood in this fast flow pac jet pattern. I’ll hope it happens and plan on it not 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

NAM (18z) is quite the crusher for us 6-12z Friday 

Yet BOX is saying not much snow because it's hard to accumulate during the day this time of year unless it snows hard... Looks like most comes at night?   Also NAM. Has some light snow tonight first I saw that on a model

3 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Yet BOX is saying not much snow because it's hard to accumulate during the day this time of year unless it snows hard... Looks like most comes at night?   Also NAM. Has some light snow tonight first I saw that on a model

People think its mid March and it can't snow

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, weathafella said:

NAM (18z) is quite the crusher for us 6-12z Friday 

I think we're in a good spot.

Current NWS map will be too conservative if cold advection is as quick as 12z/18z NAM and 12z Euro depict. 

Also great timing, it's all overnight so no sun issues.

This late game critter could bump up this winter C to C+ for Boston metro