Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

20 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Gfs looked pretty bad in this. At least from what I saw. Was giving like 50” and try en tried to rain them.

Just getting crushed all along that urban corridor and front range hills.

Just ripping at 1/8 mile vis at a few stations there. 
METAR KBJC 142047Z 33021G28KT 1/8SM +SN

A7D16301-F49E-440E-A874-89D81C6F6CBD.gif.98ca4b4f4b3c63326776a936bbb9b5ab.gif

• Like 3

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Just getting crushed all along that urban corridor and front range hills.

A7D16301-F49E-440E-A874-89D81C6F6CBD.gif.98ca4b4f4b3c63326776a936bbb9b5ab.gif

Been fascinating watching the dynamics. Think that barrier jet convergence working magic. Even to the north it’s rather slotty, but those echoes just hit a wall NE and E of Denver and you have upward VV. Probably some fronto and isentropic lift too, but warm advection isn’t that strong. Also you have steep lapse rates moving in to help get that air accelerating upward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What’s interesting is that cutoff low is not very deep in the troposphere it’s actually not a typical standard deviation depth for that kind of event /time of year...but then again it also is pretty localized; it’s that one band doing that

So the 18z GFS pulls winter out after the late week suppression. 

Within a day or two thicknesses go above 540 and it’s the spring layout right to the end of that run almost a week and a half worth of days either raining at 552 thicknesses or sunny at 552 that’s Greenup

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Actually stuff would start growing after tomorrow with the warm sun. It happens every year once the sun gets high. The problem is.. you lose green up season with a month of no rain and dews in the teens and 20’s. . That’s a problem for the vast majority of folks who like to get lawns going etc 

Yup, low soil moisture here , we melted out more than 3 weeks ago with no rain since. I was screwing around cleaning some stuff off with the hose today and the overspray onto the lawn immediately caused it to green up. Would like to see some rain to get the entire lawn to green uP. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, S&P said:

Yup, low soil moisture here , we melted out more than 3 weeks ago with no rain since. I was screwing around cleaning some stuff off with the hose today and the overspray onto the lawn immediately caused it to green up. Would like to see some rain to get the entire lawn to green uP. 

LOL what? Your lawn got wet and immediately turned green?

4 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Actually stuff would start growing after tomorrow with the warm sun. It happens every year once the sun gets high. The problem is.. you lose green up season with a month of no rain and dews in the teens and 20’s. . That’s a problem for the vast majority of folks who like to get lawns going etc 

Eff lawns.

Every year across the country, lawns consume nearly 3 trillion gallons of water a year, 200 million gallons of gas (for all that mowing), and 70 million pounds of pesticides. ... In fact, these lawns can do substantial harm to the environment and to both vertebrates and insects

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

even I gave up on winter. I still check the models occasionally just in case if an early April blizzard pops up, but at this point I would give that a less than 1% chance of happening. The storm threat next week is going to bust because there is no northern stream interaction or phasing. The low will be weak and there will be no mechanism to create cold air. No phasing means there is 0 chance for a big early spring blizzard. 

• Weenie 1