Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

How much did you have for ORH NYC BDL versus actual 

ORH and NYC were too low...I thought the most snow would be NE, instead of SW.

December-March Snowfall Outlook

City
Predicted Snowfall
Actual
Forecast Error
Boston, MA
40-50"
?
?
NewYork, NY(Central Park)
11-21"
?
?
Philadelphia, PA
11-21"
?
?
Baltimore, MD
10-20"
?
?
Washington, DC
5-15"
?
?
Albany, NY
52-62"
?
?
Hartford, CT
40-50"
?
?
Providence, RI
25-35"
?
?
Worcester, MA
50-60"
?
?
Tolland, CT
40-50"
?
?
Methuen, MA
50-60"
?
?
Hyannis, MA
15-25"
?
?
Burlington, VT
80-90"

?
?
Portland, ME
70-80"
?
?
Concord, NH
65-75"
?
?

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Its frustrating in the moment, but looking back.....how many seasons have we seen run the train on Jersey, while we bask in Miller B orgies. I suppose we were due for a LBSW year.

That’s not as reassuring for those of us who just moved to the region.

7 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

2' of firehose paste that weighed a ton.  Should have sent the pictures to Pete B.:maprain:

Ooof. I admit it was a tougher call near the coast, but the day before it started, things started to become clear it was a biggie even at BOS. Even where I am now had 2'.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Ooof. I admit it was a tougher call near the coast, but the day before it started, things started to become clear it was a biggie even at BOS. Even where I am now had 2'.

I remember it snowed most of the day in the city, but nothing was sticking the day that it started.  Took the train home and got on 128 and there was a little snow in Westwood.  Got off on route 28 in Randolph and everything was snow covered including the roads and we already had 3 or 4 inches.  Huge difference in just a few miles.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HimoorWx said:

I remember it snowed most of the day in the city, but nothing was sticking the day that it started.  Took the train home and got on 128 and there was a little snow in Westwood.  Got off on route 28 in Randolph and everything was snow covered including the roads and we already had 3 or 4 inches.  Huge difference in just a few miles.

I was working in BOS on 3/7/13....took the train home. Accumulations were noticeable once past 128 in Wellesley, and by the time I got back to ORH, there was about 4-5". But nobody thought the 20"+ amounts were happening even that evening. I was still on the 9-14" bandwagon. The firehose just went insane after midnight it was like consistent 1-2" per hour for the next 8-10 hours.

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was working in BOS on 3/7/13....took the train home. Accumulations were noticeable once past 128 in Wellesley, and by the time I got back to ORH, there was about 4-5". But nobody thought the 20"+ amounts were happening even that evening. I was still on the 9-14" bandwagon. The firehose just went insane after midnight it was like consistent 1-2" per hour for the next 8-10 hours.

I remember going 12-20”

One of my top 3 favorite storms 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, HimoorWx said:

I was in Dorchester and went over to my Grandmother's to visit in Roslindale. Same thing. Get in and up a bit and there was about 3"+ at her house. Once you get on the west and southwest side of the city near 200' and higher, it gets sneaky good.

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was in Dorchester and went over to my Grandmother's to visit in Roslindale. Same thing. Get in and up a bit and there was about 3"+ at her house. Once you get on the west and southwest side of the city near 200' and higher, it gets sneaky good.

Yeah, once you head south on 28 from 128, you gain elevation pretty quickly.  We are at about 225'

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is actually how I expect it to play out if we do get another event.....sums up the snowfall distribution this season perfectly.

I'm on the CT shoreline and have a cabin in NW NJ. Both areas have had an insane amount of precipitation the last year. I expect this spring for the same area to jackpot as it has the last year. 

Just now, DavisStraight said:

Did you shovel all that? No Blower?

That was all shoveled, and it is a pretty long driveway.  Should have gotten a snow blower then, but I thought how often are we going to see two 2' storms in a month.  I can handle this!  Finally bought an electric one after 2015.  Should have learned my lesson earlier. :arrowhead:

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is the week after the 2013 firehose storm...there were a couple torchy 50F days afterward which receded the snowpack, but it's interesting because you can see that secondary jackpot area still SW of Boston

Mar13_visibleSatellite.png

I do remember how fast it disappeared.  Almost as fast as April 1997.

Looks like my snow depth is going to go to zero today finally...well maybe a "trace" since as long as you have patches in the yard, that's a trace. There has been continuous snow pack since January 26th, so a pretty good run.

We had continuous from Dec 9th through January 12th in 2017-2018 so this beats that stretch. Have to go back to 2015 I think to beat this 43 day stretch.

The previous 5 years have not been good pack winters. We had longer stretches than this in 2008-2009, 2010-2011, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015.

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Looks like my snow depth is going to go to zero today finally...well maybe a "trace" since as long as you have patches in the yard, that's a trace. There has been continuous snow pack since January 26th, so a pretty good run.

We had continuous from Dec 9th through January 12th in 2017-2018 so this beats that stretch. Have to go back to 2015 I think to beat this 43 day stretch.

The previous 5 years have not been good pack winters. We had longer stretches than this in 2008-2009, 2010-2011, 2012-2013, 2013-2014, and 2014-2015.

Seems like you melted out a bit faster than I did because you had more, and I still had like 4" as of this AM.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seems like you melted out a bit faster than I did because you had more, and I still had like 4" as of this AM.

Yeah maybe...it depends where in the yard though....where I measure is down to like 2-3" but there are shaded spots that still have over half a foot. I think that 2-3" will go today. There are houses in the neighborhood that have 100% full pack in their shaded yard and it looks at least 6" deep, lol. Typical uneven March melt-out.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah maybe...it depends where in the yard though....where I measure is down to like 2-3" but there are shaded spots that still have over half a foot. I think that 2-3" will go today. There are houses in the neighborhood that have 100% full pack in their shaded yard and it looks at least 6" deep, lol. Typical uneven March melt-out.

I try to pick a median spot to  measure, as well. I don't have any 6"+..pretty uniform 3-4".