earlier in the day as the pressure gradient tightens due to the
deepening low to the northeast and high building in. Have gone
with the NAMNest/ARW/GFS guidance for winds and gusts. This
shows that we could tap into some 20-25 kt gusts within the
mixed layer. @@Winds shift to the W and eventually the NW, which
will promote downsloping. @@Given this setup have increased high
temperatures toward the 80th percentile of guidance and lowered dew
points to the 15th percentile of guidance. The result is high
temperatures in the low to mid 50s across much of the region.

take them up up up:thumbsup:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

I miss 3/7/18. The rest of the month featured an impressive rain storm and two very painful busts I can do without.

Epic wind storm with damage, a 6.8 cement damaging snow storm, and a beautiful 20 inches with epic banding.  We just missed another bomb late in the month as well.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Epic wind storm with damage, a 6.8 cement damaging snow storm, and a beautiful 20 inches with epic banding.  We just missed another bomb late in the month as well.

March 22. LI had like 22-24" or something like that. 

51 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

Tuesday...

Cloud cover on the decrease as high pressure reasserts itself
into southern New England. Will be a bit breezy especially
earlier in the day as the pressure gradient tightens due to the
deepening low to the northeast and high building in. Have gone
with the NAMNest/ARW/GFS guidance for winds and gusts. This
shows that we could tap into some 20-25 kt gusts within the
mixed layer. @@Winds shift to the W and eventually the NW, which
will promote downsloping. @@Given this setup have increased high
temperatures toward the 80th percentile of guidance and lowered dew
points to the 15th percentile of guidance. The result is high
temperatures in the low to mid 50s across much of the region.

take them up up up:thumbsup:

Won't be "nice" out though ...not with those numbers.   55 with 25 mph wind is big f.u. ...

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Ryan’s got a totally dry 10 day forecast. Unreal dry stretch for Morch , our wettest month. Stein really getting nervous 

It is kinda crazy at this point. People keep hitting me with snarky replies that "winter lasts until May there" and "it snows upslope every day there" but this has been a crazy dull stretch by any metric.

I think the monster liquid is coming in late April. Should be a fun mud season.

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Eh' W of the River from 'Berg up through Berks and over to the Monads has not had any way above average Winters since 2015 and before that it was lots of average to slightly above winters.  Same with ENY I would imagine?  Mitch is an exception since he is at 2k. He an Backedge had good year this year.

Think your right for the most part.  17'-18' was actually top 3-5 all time in SVT (snowfall wise) in the mountains and #1 in the valley.  I don't think it was on that level down by your area though?  Most other years probably closer to average with an all time rat in 15-16 by a good margin.

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It is kinda crazy at this point. People keep hitting me with snarky replies that "winter lasts until May there" and "it snows upslope every day there" but this has been a crazy dull stretch by any metric.

This is the year when you tell them to fold.. pack up tents and GTFO. It’s over 

26 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah not the greatest stretch up there, but who knows. Maybe the short record up there is not a true reflection of the overall climo? You still get 100+” winters and 30”+ pack like it’s your job though lol. 

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah not the greatest stretch up there, but who knows. Maybe the short record up there is not a true reflection of the overall climo? You still get 100+” winters and 30”+ pack like it’s your job though lol. 

It isn’t like I have been just missing these storms or they were rain here and snow nearby. I don’t think it’s a climo issue. There has just been nothing synoptic that was notable for well over a month now. 

Retention here is definitely godlike, however. I can’t believe how much snow is still out there. 

8 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

It isn’t like I have been just missing these storms or they were rain here and snow nearby. I don’t think it’s a climo issue. There has just been nothing synoptic that was notable for well over a month now. 

Retention here is definitely godlike, however. I can’t believe how much snow is still out there. 

Literally nothing has melted since like early January.  Even BTV for their climo has gone quite a while with a good pack.  Now the sun is coming out it’s starting to hit some spots with solar but the lengthy snow season has felt solid this winter.  Other winters you’ll see more synoptic but also more melt and cutters mixed in.  Been a great ski season because of that since the Grinch.

Warm front nosing in, radar has some moisture building into the mountains, a Phin classic, dusting to an inch.

0257D9B5-0E51-4840-A1FF-AA155087A2B6.gif.1281f87cd5b70a3ea8adaa556c248585.gif

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Well climo incorporates everything, but their record is like what....11 years or something like that? Definitely some decent years there maybe skewing it. 

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Literally nothing has melted since like early January.  Even BTV for their climo has gone quite a while with a good pack.  Now the sun is coming out it’s starting to hit some spots with solar but the lengthy snow season has felt solid this winter.  Other winters you’ll see more synoptic but also more melt and cutters mixed in.  Been a great ski season because of that since the Grinch.

Warm front nosing in, radar has some moisture building into the mountains, a Phin classic, dusting to an inch.

0257D9B5-0E51-4840-A1FF-AA155087A2B6.gif.1281f87cd5b70a3ea8adaa556c248585.gif

I think it will take me a few winters here to really put this one in proper context. It hasn’t been exactly what I expected in a couple ways. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Well climo incorporates everything, but their record is like what....11 years or something like that? Definitely some decent years there maybe skewing it. 

I don’t necessarily buy the CoCoRaHS numbers as the long term average verbatim. But this seems like an abnormal stretch of dry, boring weather. Basically every time there was a solid storm up here I had the highest totals in NH and rivaled most of the inhabited places in NNE (other than the weenie-band storm in mid Dec). So if precip gets here I tend to snow well.  There just has been a near total lack of decent lows transiting SE to NE in the GOM lately. I guess I just figured those were more common having watched NE weather from a distance for so many years. 

7 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

I think it will take me a few winters here to really put this one in proper context. It hasn’t been exactly what I expected in a couple ways. 

Interesting.  The pack is there and didn’t look too different than normal as J.Spin has posted from that site.  Snowfall definitely down but the pack has been there. 

Just now, powderfreak said:

Interesting.  The pack is there and didn’t look too different than normal as J.Spin has posted from that site.  Snowfall definitely down but the pack has been there. 

I think retention has been more than I expected, uplsope has also been more than I expected (I figured it was being way overhyped). Temps have been warmer than I expected by quite a bit and these 30-40 day stretches of mostly dry weather have been unexpected. Based on the historical record (albeit short), I expected more meaty snowfalls over 2”. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

.... I think it's like you moved to great location for big winters ...*but* did so at the tail end of climate destruction's moving winters N ... probably you got Kevin's bald headed winter tendencies at that that latitude ... maybe 10 years.  By then Kevin'll be DC'ing it.   

Then... the tipping point probably starts causing world wars over dwindling resources anyway and who'll have time to care - ... trope dystopian but pick one...

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Yeah, if I'd partaken of that 20" fluffer I'd probably feel differently. Instead I wound up sitting in subsidence and the three inches I got melted before the storm even ended. The wind with that first storm was impressive though, especially out east.

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

March 22. LI had like 22-24" or something like that. 

Which was expected to be in my hood. Instead we sucked exhaust and got 2" of sand while LI directly south of me was buried. That month was a brutal roller coaster. Poor Ryan got raked over the coals for the March 22 bust on social media.