Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

18z GFS is cute.

It was hilarious, “snow” at greater than 540 thicknesses during the day in mid-March in NYC. Lmfaoo What a joke the GFS is, worst, most wretched model ever, by far. Thank God it goes bye bye on St.Patrick’s Day

• Weenie 2

4 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

It was hilarious, “snow” at greater than 540 thicknesses during the day in mid-March in NYC. Lmfaoo What a joke the GFS is, worst, most wretched model ever, by far. Thank God it goes bye bye on St.Patrick’s Day

It was pretty cold though. It’s son I think has a cold bias. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Um new GFS has a worse cold bias. 540 isn't the only level either. Snow at high 5H levels can happen in late spring as well see last April 18th

dwm500_test_20200418.gif

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It was pretty cold though. It’s son I think has a cold bias. 

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Um new GFS has a worse cold bias. 540 isn't the only level either. Snow at high 5H levels can happen in late spring as well see last April 18th

The cold bias has been improved upon but hasn't gone away.

15 hours ago, PhineasC said:

More of the same pattern we have been in for 45 days now basically.

I am guessing the synoptic precip and cold air will finally arrive by mid-April, just in time to be useless.

Basically in spring skiing mode now and thinking about summer. I have kinda given up on getting another nice synoptic snowstorm. Pattern is just too hostile.

Maybe some more upslope will come through next week when the temps get a little colder, not holding my breath for more than the usual inch or two. Hoping for a surprise to freshen the pack after it takes a beating this week.

This winter felt short to me, with the delayed start and apparent early end. Basically, winter was January 1 through the end of February with some pockets in December of winter-like conditions. 

While the results may be similar, IMO the patterns were different.  Feb had lots of things to track; unfortunately after the 2nd our areas got leftovers or nothing from them.  March thru mid-month is a storm desert.
If we have no more snow this season (doubtful), I'd finish with the 2nd least snow in 23 winters with only 2015-16 with less, 48.2".  Only need 2+" to catch 2005-06 and finish 3rd worst but the next one up (2009-10) is 14" away - I'd be pleasantly surprised if we get there.