Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

2 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

Remember the March 1st 2018 storm? That had some impressive damage, and if i recall on WNW/NW winds?  Almost had a 50ft tree fall on me while I was sitting on the toilet..missed me by about 5ft. 

Just think, if you weren't sitting there on the bowl, reading that issue of Martha Steward Living, well after your doody was done you may not be with us today. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Just think, if you weren't sitting there on the bowl, reading that issue of Martha Steward Living, well after your doody was done you may not be with us today. 

I found it: though I failed to mention the near fatal shat

Power out..large pine ripped down onto my house..2 week old newborn..fun times. Starting to snow now. Gusts must have been near 80mph
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

I found it: though I failed to mention the near fatal shat

Power out..large pine ripped down onto my house..2 week old newborn..fun times. Starting to snow now. Gusts must have been near 80mph

Those winds were incredible. Lots of 80 to near 100mph gusts. Phil on the Cape had a gust to 93 in Barnstable.

I've been calling it a 'pinch-low'   ... Heh, you won't find it in the AMS Glossary or anything.  A fragment of internal monologue that always sounds off when I see the following:

image.thumb.png.b5717b73c3e1dce496acca3d66f65935.png

It gives the effect of pinching off the trough and a quasi or outright closed low results often when that happens. In spring more frequently, when the flow surrounding a trough abandons it at a faster rate than the wind max at the bottom of the trough can lose it's momentum ... Hopefully, that above series of annotated charts (ICON) more than less demos that...

...I'd expect that progresses seaward regardless of model.  The longer term progressive tendency is rooted in super synoptic structures and physics that ... requires another dissertation to plumb those concepts and no one reads with that much passion so - ...

Beyond that, it is hard to say if the consensus that has recently emerged for a significant warm up/warming pattern among the guidance/cross-guidance ... is a seasonal thing, or just a warm pattern in a late winter circulation that might ultimately settle back into some ... diabatically mutilated sun-variant of tortured winter that won't give up.  I know that some people will "choose" to interpret that in either direction LOLI still think at some point the might see a warmer spring ... whether that materializes sooner or later. 

• Like 1

The EPS may not concur - ...but the GEFS telecon layout is very warm actually ... I mean, considering there is antecedent and ongoing La Nina framework in the hemisphere - that I argue is also modulated by HC expansion headaches... ( yet another diatribe).. that lends a nod to warmer looks.

Blocking really should be extinguishing ... The GEF -based AO does briefly dip to neutral over this ensuing week,  but with extreme rapidity ...it about faces and does one of those towering Matterhorn rises to some +5 SD toward the Ides of the month.  If:

- the NAO does wobble around positive while that is happening

- the PNA does actually slope off toward negative also nearing the 15th..

we could be 80 ;)  ...

That all translates to at minimum, a longitudinal ridge expression and possible laminar straight-like W-E flow orientation along the 50th parallel exiting the Maritimes... That's how we've had warm blasts in Feb and March's since 2010 ...some of which did make 80+ ...etc... it's not like it's unprecedented in recent climate.  And this all appears to portend that at minimum, a substantial warm up is gaining confidence.  I think we see this inch just a bit more in that favor.

The EPS may or may not agree ...

44 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Happy birthday TBlizz. 

34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Happy Birthday to the Master of Whitened Mulch beds. 

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Happy birthday Brett!  I hope the covid in you is leaving without a mark.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Happy happy happy birthday kid 

Thanks guys.

feeling good. Taste and smell has returned about 75%

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Shoot the V16 to the moon with the Ukie and Canadian. 

I know ... I mean it's not even for loathing winter and wanting spring and all the babble bs... the model will f'ing do this in July if it can - it's like it was engineered by climate deniers trying to hide from global warming by running a version that provides an alternate cold biased world.  haha

Is this really the "organic" physics at work? 

if it is ...those need better peer reviewal...

• Like 1