Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

2 minutes ago, WthrJunkyME said:

I'll take ice, snow or gravel.  Taken the other day and nothing compared to the upcoming mud season.

muck_1_30.jpg

Looks like that took some siggy ruts on the warmer days last week.  Our 2000' of gravel has a good base.  We'll get 1-2" of slime before the defrost gets deep enough and some potholes, but no car catchers.

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Bit of an on-line cultural shift over the years.  

Earlier in this 25 years of internet era ... people were apprehensive by lacking familiarization..  but that familiarization has long become intimacy-with-the-web, by the vaster majority of populous by now - no doubt.  Along with that... People have become brazen ...using it for personal exposure for many different motivations...etc..  Unfiltered opinion advancement that is fringe for either quantifiable reasons, or just down right 'not sounding right'?   That comes with that culture change. Now it's an expose' for people that probably would make for good fiction writers given the right encouragement and instructive guidance- haha.

More freedom of expression certainly sounds good on paper. Catch-22 ( seems I'm saying that a lot today ) because the fact of the matter is... it is morally superior NOT to suppress people.

Back when Eastern was in its hey day, I got the feeling they/we benefited from not having to wade through banana bomb posts to get to ... lucidity.  They also had less reason to change because they were sort of having an 'island control,' by virtue of their popularity draw.  They had like 10,000 members...?

Obviously not all on at once.  Ha, we know what happened to the site when even a fraction dumped in all at once... 

Anyway, the ongoing atmosphere back then was bit too tightly constrained for all that, for a coupe reasons.  One, people just wouldn't dare. They didn't risk appearing unsophisticated/ over ebullient yokel-like in visions in grandeur - "bunning" was actually eschewed and dreaded even.  Wow have things changed in this new atmosphere ... Now...? it's a joke - people like try to earn buns on a goof.  "Ha ha go ahead a bun me"  - I'm sure I'm getting one just for mentioning this...Lol...   But the other reason that same culture was also built into the moderation - even if it did seem a bit fascist at times. 

I remember when this site first launched and I came in here ... I started posting like I always had out in the main forum arena, and was met with chillier silence. At first I thought it was just the bigger draw/new users. Unfamiliar alias/names meant a familiarization curve.  But it was something else.. PM's began arriving from actual mods that were intoned like, 'who the f do you think you are'   It was pretty coherently confrontational.  I was taken aback.  'What the hell is this?!'   I didn't really connect that this was not the same Kansas anymore ...haha... Took me a few weeks, too. But there really was a cluster of mods on a power trip - they brinked me to within inches from disappearing for good ( I'm sure y'all regret their failure ha... )  -  titanic assholes of biblical proportion.  It was figuratively "Internet Lord Of The Flies" for while.  I don't know what happen to them?  It is hoped they got cut loose but ..most likely they just lost interest and went on f some other aspect of their lives up ( we pray - )

I'm wondering again, sorry.    Anyway, the filtering of old was both bad and good... It was bad for obvious reasons ... Freedom of expression for one.  Any opinion capping, whether fearing ridicule from bully- trolls and ass hat elitism that way ... or institutional suppression using moderation to enforce what ultimately is protecting elitism... is still fascist and is bad ... There's no real upside in the long run.   It probably just would have been a matter of time that another "Eastern" would have launched anyway, that was more free-spirited and unconstrained - if not here, there ... at which point the cycle of life would have vacated. Several years ago, I went back to that link and it was still active - like shell of the former realm.  

But, a little apprehension and sophistication is also good - the trick is in how to get there without being an asshole.   

You gotta encourage against unfiltered imaginative content that while plausible, is highly unlikely.  Why not create thread that dumps automatically ever 50 pages, that is a repository for wild hypothesis -

I got warned by an asshole mod shortly after this placed started...2011. It was ultimately removed by another mod.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Looks like that took some siggy ruts on the warmer days last week.  Our 2000' of gravel has a good base.  We'll get 1-2" of slime before the defrost gets deep enough and some potholes, but no car catchers.

I'm loathe to take my little Subie through it but it had an appointment!  Truck duty for the next couple of months.

56 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I was in Paxton this afternoon, they still have a great snow pack with good piles, looks better than the pic Will posted of Winter Hill

Paxton is a great spot. So high up. Town center there is over 1200 feet. Prob the best spot in central MA until you get further north into Princeton center. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wow Kevin’s pack turning to Swiss cheese. 

If you got sun there yours would too. I’m sure if you posted sunny areas and areas near trees and under pines in addition to your shaded lot , it would look very similar. The north side of the street as you an see is full. Your house appears very sheltered from sun and wind and I would bet exposed sunny lawns look much different 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Paxton is a great spot. So high up. Town center there is over 1200 feet. Prob the best spot in central MA until you get further north into Princeton center. 

Wasn't there a guy looking to move into the Worcester area and wanted a good spot, I'd target Paxton, I've been in rain and when I get to Paxton its frozen in April so not surprised they get more and it's not too far from Worcester.

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you got sun there yours would too. I’m sure if you posted sunny areas and areas near trees and under pines in addition to your shaded lot , it would look very similar. The north side of the street as you an see is full. Your house appears very sheltered from sun and wind and I would bet exposed sunny lawns look much different 

There’s def a few south facing areas opening up. Your area has less though. Feb 1-2 is prob the reason. We got a much bigger QPF dump in that. 

For spring/ warm enthusiasts ... this 18z run bucking for a D9 run at 75 ...   At the time of this west Caribbean conveyor arcing all the way up, there is an intense eastern/SE ridge with 582 dm hgts nearing NYC over top this subtropical connection...  Anyway - probably has about as much chance at verifying as a D9 bomb would but for those on the other side of the track, you'll start seeing this more and more... 

image.png.eb1138efb1eaefbb6fc1b80b866494c7.png

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Wasn't there a guy looking to move into the Worcester area and wanted a good spot, I'd target Paxton, I've been in rain and when I get to Paxton its frozen in April so not surprised they get more and it's not too far from Worcester.

Yeah I PM’d him some prime spots within ORH (north or northwest side mostly) and then told him if he was ok being one town outside then pick Holden or Paxton. 

4 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Will, do you think Central Mass gets in on those squalls?

Best looks north but it’s possible. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There’s def a few south facing areas opening up. Your area has less though. Feb 1-2 is prob the reason. We got a much bigger QPF dump in that. 

Yeah you had 15-16” I think and much was paste. We never had any paste all Feb . All of it was powder even with 12” in that big storm . The first water into it was that zr that turned to rain prior to the 3 day snowstorm 

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

For spring/ warm enthusiasts ... this 18z run bucking for a D9 run at 75 ...   At the time of this west Caribbean conveyor arcing all the way up, there is an intense eastern/SE ridge with 582 dm hgts nearing NYC over top this subtropical connection...  Anyway - probably has about as much chance at verifying as a D9 bomb would but for those on the other side of the track, you'll start seeing this more and more... 

image.png.eb1138efb1eaefbb6fc1b80b866494c7.png

As you well know that will morph into 30’s and 40’s. Just like Sunday and today did. The screen doors won’t even slam shut from the NE because they’ll never be opened. That’s a huge backdoor look with all that confluence in NE Canada

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yeah you had 15-16” I think and much was paste. We never had any paste all Feb . All of it was powder even with 12” in that big storm . The first water into it was that zr that turned to rain prior to the 3 day snowstorm 

Yep. I prob had over 1.5” of qpf in that storm. 

Too bad it doesn’t really matter at this point. It will melt out soon with no other snow threats imminent. I was hoping we’d start March on a solid note to add to the pack and seasonal totals but doesn’t look good now. 

At this point I’m just hoping for some stat-padders mid-month and beyond since it’s prob not going to be nice. The alternative is usually garbage. 

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yep. I prob had over 1.5” of qpf in that storm. 

Too bad it doesn’t really matter at this point. It will melt out soon with no other snow threats imminent. I was hoping we’d start March on a solid note to add to the pack and seasonal totals but doesn’t look good now. 

At this point I’m just hoping for some stat-padders mid-month and beyond since it’s prob not going to be nice. The alternative is usually garbage. 

If you think about it.. the fact that we went from I think Jan 26 until today with wire to wire snowpack with 100% powder, almost no rain other than one storm and no sleet and a little zr is pretty amazing. No cutters, no torches.. It takes a pretty unique setup to have that. Plus we had pack from Dec 6th until Xmas Eve. Pack wise it was pretty good. January just didn’t snow or do anything