Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

55 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Variance as % of average is less here than in most of SNE, so anything <70% is a ratter unless there's extenuating circumstances, like a lifetime-best blizzard.  Since the Farmington co-op has been under 50% only twice in 128 winters (79-80 and 80-81), that level would require a more emphatic label.  My suggested terminology:
<50%:  @%#&*#!!!
50-70%   Ratter
70-95%:   Below normal
95-105%:   Near normal
105-125%   Above normal
125-150%:   Great winter
>150%:   Epicosity  (Ginx trademarked)

This is perfect!

The reason why people who live in eastern mass shouldn’t give up on the storm threat next week is that despite the fact that the pattern favors a large offshore ocean storm, we are pretty much sticking out into the ocean which helps us with these late developing nor’easters. The models aren’t quite there yet, looking at the upper levels it looks like the storm initially goes out to sea and the models are trying to phase the northern branch in, tilt the trough negatively and hook the low back in. Right now it’s just a bit too progressive to hook the low back in, but the overall pattern suggests that there is room for a cleaner phase and for the trough to go negative a little earlier, which would allow for the low to initially go to bermuda and then retrograde back in and slam eastern New England with a blizzard. I have seen several posts indicating that the overall longwave pattern is too far east to allow this low to come to the benchmark, which I agree with. The low isn’t coming to the benchmark, it’s going to likely be at least 100-200 miles southeast (probably more). The low will be tapping into incredible amounts of gulf moisture as the low develops to our south, and then once the northern stream phases in and the trough tilts negatively over the Atlantic Ocean, the low will get hooked back in to around what I believe to be 200-300 miles southeast of the benchmark. That’s out to sea! That means we aren’t getting anything right? In my opinion, that is wrong. My analogs are March 8th 2013 and March 13th 2018, both which were large ocean storms that went “out to sea”, hundreds of miles southeast of the benchmark. However, these storms had a similar longwave pattern with the unusual scenario where the storm fully phased over the Atlantic, and the trough tilted negatively which allowed the storm to retrograde from east to west, loop, and stall around 200 to even 500 miles southeast of the benchmark. While the low was out to sea, this unusual retrograding motion driven by the phasing and negatively tilted trough allowed for copious amounts of warm March gulf and Atlantic moisture from the rapidly strengthening offshore low to be rammed into the cold dry air in eastern mass. This would allow for heavy bands of snow to back in, strengthen, and rot over eastern mass for a long duration snowstorm. I know the models don’t look great right now but the pattern is screaming surprise early spring blizzard in eastern mass, and the euro and navy got better overnight, as the northern branch is phasing in earlier and the trough is going negative earlier, allowing the low to hook back in a bit (not enough yet, but closer than it looks at the surface). It’s important to keep in mind the navy has a progressive bias so seeing it as the second farthest west model is a sign that the models are too far east with the low.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 24

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Rubin 'The Hurricane' Carter's story, where he was wrongfully imprisoned by systemic racism in southern cultural Law,

Wasn't he from NJ?  I can still hear the very good song by Dylan titled "Hurricane".  Fun fact, radio stations quit playing that song for fear of slander suits...I love Dylan, but he took a bit too much license in this case.

12 minutes ago, George001 said:

The reason why people who live in eastern mass shouldn’t give up on the storm threat next week is that despite the fact that the pattern favors a large offshore ocean storm, we are pretty much sticking out into the ocean which helps us with these late developing nor’easters. The models aren’t quite there yet, looking at the upper levels it looks like the storm initially goes out to sea and the models are trying to phase the northern branch in, tilt the trough negatively and hook the low back in. Right now it’s just a bit too progressive to hook the low back in, but the overall pattern suggests that there is room for a cleaner phase and for the trough to go negative a little earlier, which would allow for the low to initially go to bermuda and then retrograde back in and slam eastern New England with a blizzard. I have seen several posts indicating that the overall longwave pattern is too far east to allow this low to come to the benchmark, which I agree with. The low isn’t coming to the benchmark, it’s going to likely be at least 100-200 miles southeast (probably more). The low will be tapping into incredible amounts of gulf moisture as the low develops to our south, and then once the northern stream phases in and the trough tilts negatively over the Atlantic Ocean, the low will get hooked back in to around what I believe to be 200-300 miles southeast of the benchmark. That’s out to sea! That means we aren’t getting anything right? In my opinion, that is wrong. My analogs are March 8th 2013 and March 13th 2018, both which were large ocean storms that went “out to sea”, hundreds of miles southeast of the benchmark. However, these storms had a similar longwave pattern with the unusual scenario where the storm fully phased over the Atlantic, and the trough tilted negatively which allowed the storm to retrograde from east to west, loop, and stall around 200 to even 500 miles southeast of the benchmark. While the low was out to sea, this unusual retrograding motion driven by the phasing and negatively tilted trough allowed for copious amounts of warm March gulf and Atlantic moisture from the rapidly strengthening offshore low to be rammed into the cold dry air in eastern mass. This would allow for heavy bands of snow to back in, strengthen, and rot over eastern mass for a long duration snowstorm. I know the models don’t look great right now but the pattern is screaming surprise early spring blizzard in eastern mass, and the euro and navy got better overnight, as the northern branch is phasing in earlier and the trough is going negative earlier, allowing the low to hook back in a bit (not enough yet, but closer than it looks at the surface). It’s important to keep in mind the navy has a progressive bias so seeing it as the second farthest west model is a sign that the models are too far east with the low.

In George's defense, the NAVGEM looks menacing.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, George001 said:

Do you go to this place to discuss analogs???

See the source image

• Haha 3

28 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

I can't believe I actually read all that.. I think you beat our biggest weenie that lives on Cape Cod Ma USA

This guy is definitely in the running...but lest we forget james has a book.  A weenie magnum opus.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Wasn't he from NJ?  I can still hear the very good song by Dylan titled "Hurricane".  Fun fact, radio stations quit playing that song for fear of slander suits...I love Dylan, but he took a bit too much license in this case.

Right... yup - my bad... NJ ... but yeah

48 minutes ago, George001 said:

I'm actually giving you a weenie for this

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 2

57 minutes ago, George001 said:

I think you, James and Dr Dews are the only ones to ever get the big weenie, Congrats, And you may be one post away from the cannon load.

1758694100_HotDog.jpeg.77625cffeb7444b89a996e2f463d03c2.jpeg

• Haha 2

Bit of an on-line cultural shift over the years.  

Earlier in this 25 years of internet era ... people were apprehensive by lacking familiarization..  but that familiarization has long become intimacy-with-the-web, by the vaster majority of populous by now - no doubt.  Along with that... People have become brazen ...using it for personal exposure for many different motivations...etc..  Unfiltered opinion advancement that is fringe for either quantifiable reasons, or just down right 'not sounding right'?   That comes with that culture change. Now it's an expose' for people that probably would make for good fiction writers given the right encouragement and instructive guidance- haha.

More freedom of expression certainly sounds good on paper. Catch-22 ( seems I'm saying that a lot today ) because the fact of the matter is... it is morally superior NOT to suppress people.

Back when Eastern was in its hey day, I got the feeling they/we benefited from not having to wade through banana bomb posts to get to ... lucidity.  They also had less reason to change because they were sort of having an 'island control,' by virtue of their popularity draw.  They had like 10,000 members...?

Obviously not all on at once.  Ha, we know what happened to the site when even a fraction dumped in all at once... 

Anyway, the ongoing atmosphere back then was bit too tightly constrained for all that, for a coupe reasons.  One, people just wouldn't dare. They didn't risk appearing unsophisticated/ over ebullient yokel-like in visions in grandeur - "bunning" was actually eschewed and dreaded even.  Wow have things changed in this new atmosphere ... Now...? it's a joke - people like try to earn buns on a goof.  "Ha ha go ahead a bun me"  - I'm sure I'm getting one just for mentioning this...Lol...   But the other reason that same culture was also built into the moderation - even if it did seem a bit fascist at times. 

I remember when this site first launched and I came in here ... I started posting like I always had out in the main forum arena, and was met with chillier silence. At first I thought it was just the bigger draw/new users. Unfamiliar alias/names meant a familiarization curve.  But it was something else.. PM's began arriving from actual mods that were intoned like, 'who the f do you think you are'   It was pretty coherently confrontational.  I was taken aback.  'What the hell is this?!'   I didn't really connect that this was not the same Kansas anymore ...haha... Took me a few weeks, too. But there really was a cluster of mods on a power trip - they brinked me to within inches from disappearing for good ( I'm sure y'all regret their failure ha... )  -  titanic assholes of biblical proportion.  It was figuratively "Internet Lord Of The Flies" for while.  I don't know what happen to them?  It is hoped they got cut loose but ..most likely they just lost interest and went on f some other aspect of their lives up ( we pray - )

I'm wondering again, sorry.    Anyway, the filtering of old was both bad and good... It was bad for obvious reasons ... Freedom of expression for one.  Any opinion capping, whether fearing ridicule from bully- trolls and ass hat elitism that way ... or institutional suppression using moderation to enforce what ultimately is protecting elitism... is still fascist and is bad ... There's no real upside in the long run.   It probably just would have been a matter of time that another "Eastern" would have launched anyway, that was more free-spirited and unconstrained - if not here, there ... at which point the cycle of life would have vacated. Several years ago, I went back to that link and it was still active - like shell of the former realm.  

But, a little apprehension and sophistication is also good - the trick is in how to get there without being an asshole.   

You gotta encourage against unfiltered imaginative content that while plausible, is highly unlikely.  Why not create thread that dumps automatically ever 50 pages, that is a repository for wild hypothesis -

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah this thing is gone. Sorry George. Time to move on. 

It might be my fault  :rolleyes:

I had a knee jerk thought that it may come back ...the old ' lost for several cycles routine,'   and the 00z Euro has a 'subtle' tease backward with that thing too... etc...  It was a like floating a lit match over perfect fume concentration - BOOM that contiguous run-on paragraph exploded into emergence like literary bombogenesis - just waiting for an excuse to blow the roof off this party

He's just enthusiastic and unrestrained - good kid I'm sure. 

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It might be my fault  :rolleyes:

I had a knee jerk thought that it may come back ...the old ' lost for several cycles routine,'   and the 00z Euro has a 'subtle' tease backward with that thing too... etc...  It was a like floating a lit match over perfect fume concentration - BOOM that contiguous run-on paragraph exploded into emergence like literary bombogenesis - just waiting for an excuse the blow the roof off this party

He's just enthusiastic and unrestrained - good kid I'm sure. 

It's annoyingly close too, but at the same time, there's just too many things to change. There's also a kicker behind it, which if there was any hope for this thing to really sharpen up and turn negative, the kicker laughs in the face of that.

Well... some good news?

I know the spring/warmth enthusiasts in here are marked with red wax like an apiary zoologist doing anti-social research ... ( lol ) and I wear my honesty on my sleeve - I'm one of them.

But hey, y'all know I'm a winter enthusiasts from October 15 until March too ... I'm just equally into summer's all

Anyway, the 12z Euro tries to warm things up again in the D6+ ... it kept trying to push that out every run - I joked about earlier but in truth.  This run seems to have picked up as though those interceding delay runs didn't happen.  The D8 is now door-stopping a warm front at 12z that day... 

So... maybe a 2 or so day of spring out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, George001 said:

There must be a big storm over the Mediterranean that could get a hankerin for some Portuguese Kale Soup and then before you know it, its sucked out into the Atlantic into a ginormous negatively titled trough covering the entire North Atlantic.  I know this sounds crazy, but what if it then feels the gulf stream?  Then what?  Does it get pulled even further west towards the benchmark?  And it brings a quadruple phasing of Mediterranean, Adriatic,  Gulf, and Atlantic moisture.  I think there's a record of something similar happening on Pangea, before it all split apart, only there was less moisture involved so this would be a bigger record setting storm of multiple feet every day

• Haha 1