Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
March 2021 Weather Discussion

CoastalWx

5 hours ago, PhineasC said:

This winter gets an A+ from me just because it blew away any other winter in my life.

Grinch was horrifying and nearly broke my brain. I was saved by the Jan 17 and Feb 1/2 storms. One of the worst weather events in my life, maybe tops. I never want to see “atmospheric river” and “warm sector” together in a GYX distro ever again.

The long boring periods where every storm went south of me (which is ongoing) has been rather annoying. @dendrite tried to warn me  

Retention after Grinch has been fabulous. I am in a great spot for that. The pack here has been like you’d see at a ski place.

Uplsope was also fun. No idea if I received more or less of that than usual. It seems pretty decoupled from the broader pattern so probably average there. It was the synoptic piece that was lacking, based on the historical record.

And before the usual suspects rage out at me that it can still snow 2 feet in mid April here... yeah I get that. LOL wake me up when the models show a real, strong low SE of my house with my temp at 28. So far all I still see is weak crap. Thank god for uplsope. 

You have plenty of cold and snow to go too. But after a few years up there I want you to regrade this winter. It’ll be like draft gurus giving the Chargers an A grade for drafting Ryan Leaf and then 5 years later it’s an F grade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NeonPeon said:

My sister lives in the yorkshire dales. I should clarify, in an event. I think she got 7 or so.

Where does your sister live?  My mother was from Yorkshire. I have cousins around Huddersfield and my aunt still lives in a small village called Sowerby Bridge. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Do you guys grade based on climo or experience?  Like is it an enjoyment grade or a flat compared to climo grade?

I grade on a combo weighted towards an enjoyment factor. This stretch since MLK Day has been good but if we don’t get anything more soon it will end snowmobiling early. But I also consider climo. The lack of true cold is a demerit. Right now I’m thinking C- maybe a straight C. Further south where they got whalloped, I could see a better grade. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Do you guys grade based on climo or experience?  Like is it an enjoyment grade or a flat compared to climo grade?

Both. 

27" for FEB IMBY is a nice little month...I know that irritates Steve because this season was not 2010-2011, but no one else expected that but him and his dog.

My record for the month is over 60", so it needs to be like high 30's to really start to crack the memory bank. Feb 1 was an awesome event,  though.

• Like 1

Judging by how March looks, I'm going to end up below average snowfall and above avg temps for the season, so I'm not sure what element of the "overall appeal" I neglected to consider. I'm all ears....I think a C- is pretty fair...if March suprises, then it goes up.

I understand s of the pike did better, but I don't live there...obviously the grade there is higher.

I tend to grade on the overall feel of the winter.  I"ll weight the bad parts vs the good parts and decide which stood out more and grade from there.  I'm at a B- right now here just based off of the last several weeks of cold and sustained snowpack. If we get a big bomb in march or the spring skiing is off the hook then I'm very willing to forget losing a insane amount of snow in one day on Christmas. 

Right now for me I would say this winter was a c+/b-, but after March I think it will be more like a B+/A-. The euro is already starting to bring the storm back, we are currently in the phase where models lose the storm and slowly start bringing it back, and then before you know it a blizzard is on our doorstep. 

• Weenie 1

3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Judging by how March looks, I'm going to end up below average snowfall and above avg temps for the season, so I'm not sure what element of the "overall appeal" I neglected to consider. I'm all ears....I think a C- is pretty fair...if March suprises, then it goes up.

I understand s of the pike did better, but I don't live there...obviously the grade there is higher

Amazing variation between SNE vs NYC metro this season. 

Here the winter is a solid B/B+ with well above normal snows, 4 weeks of snow cover, BN Feb temps. Nice December storm. Lack of 50+ temperatures. 

Negatives are a sucky January with AN temps Dec & Jan. If temps were a little colder with a good Jan storm then it would be an easy A- or better.

The only true A/A+ seasons since 2000 would be 02/03 and 09/10. 13/14 & 14/15 are B+/A-

9 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Lack of arctic air has been a big detriment along with the Grinch storm, if we get a KU this month it could raise it half a grade.

Pass on the arctic air though. If it could be straight 25-30 every day, that is perfect. I suppose for the feel of it once in awhile that's cool, but I'll pass on the PV sitting on my face. The fact that we have had no massive torches and no massive arctic intrusions is fine with me.

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Top of the mixing layer on BUFKIT is 50-60kts. That's probably a tall task to do, but you figure CAA on WNW flow is one way to do it. 

I just can't think of any HWW on NW flow. Even if we did tickle 50 kt I'm not sure impacts would even be that widespread. 

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I just can't think of any HWW on NW flow. Even if we did tickle 50 kt I'm not sure impacts would even be that widespread. 

I can think of some. We had a good one back in late Feb 2019 I believe. That was a nasty one. Ironically we had one last year on W-SW flow in late Feb. I could see a lot of 45kt stuff tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I can think of some. We had a good one back in late Feb 2019 I believe. That was a nasty one. Ironically we had one last year on W-SW flow in late Feb. I could see a lot of 45kt stuff tonight.

This does look like a slam dunk high end advisory gust event.  MOS spitting out sustained 25 kt, that's pretty good.