Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 2021

wdrag

7 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

The scientists have created a device that sucks humidity out of the air and converts it to usable fresh water. It's called a dehumidifier and is available at retailers nationwide! You'd just need to add some minerals and what not to make the distilled water drinkable. There are also larger systems for water needs: http://www.drinkable-air.com/info.htm

No I mean for the outdoors lol

I'm all for large scale climate modification.

27 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Much stronger drop today while MJO goes to 8-2. 

Should be near or below normal starting this weekend and beyond. Thurs/Fri could be the warmest until April.

I’m cool with mid 40s just don’t want sustained 30s for highs.

54 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

No I mean for the outdoors lol

I'm all for large scale climate modification.

But they have that! The link I attached is that. But I think maybe you are talking about weather engineering? Like to be able to notably bring down the humidity across all of say NYC? One of the big limiters to that is the energy needed to do something like that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

Today's preliminary value of the AO was +3.476. On February 11, it was -5.254. The previous highest AO within 30 days of a -5.000 or below figure was +3.351 on April 21, 2013. 30 days earlier on March 22, the AO was -5.240.

Pretty impressive how the 50/50 low remains stuck in place even with the record AO swings.

March 1-8, 2021 

E89413D2-3C01-4EF5-AA71-2A5B1743AEF1.gif.faac554d12629053c9a557e31aa01d6d.gif
EPS forecast

666475D7-B5C9-4CAC-BABC-227F5CA31351.thumb.png.2bd53409ae93bc5deba05a3109d5b808.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JustinRP37 said:

But they have that! The link I attached is that. But I think maybe you are talking about weather engineering? Like to be able to notably bring down the humidity across all of say NYC? One of the big limiters to that is the energy needed to do something like that. 

this is amazing- much easier than desalinating ocean water

What is an atmospheric water generator - AWG

AWG Technology is the solution to alleviate the world's water crisis. This breakthrough technology is now available to everyone on the planet today.

AWG machines produce pure drinking water from the atmosphere surrounding the earth. Humidity from the air we breathe is captured by the AWG unit, then converted into pure healthy drinking water. The Comparison to drinking tap or bottled water, which is referred to as dead water (containing very little oxygen), where as the AWG water is referred to as "Live" water, as it is 100% oxygenated water.

• Like 1

In much of the region, the temperature topped out in the upper 40s and lower 50s. However, from Philadelphia to Washington, DC, temperatures reached the upper 60s and lower 70s. That warm air will push northward tonight into tomorrow.

As a result, tomorrow and Friday will likely be the warmest days so far this year. Temperatures in the region will likely rise well into the 60s on both days. Some areas, including Philadelphia and Newark, will likely see temperatures top out in the 70s on one or both days.

Afterward, temperatures could begin to cool. However, just as was the case during the historic February arctic outbreak, the core of the cold will likely remain west of the region on account of a fairly expansive western Atlantic ridge.  

Further, since 1950, nearly 60% of days two weeks after the AO reached +3.000 or above in the March 1-15 period were warmer than when the AO reached +3.000 or above. The mean figure was 2.8°. This suggests that it is more likely than not that the closing week of March could see a return to warmer conditions.  

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.2°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.7°C for the week centered around March 3. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.43°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.87°C. La Niña conditions will likely prevail at least through most of March. Afterward, neutral-cool ENSO conditions will likely develop as the spring progresses.

The SOI was +4.21 today. The SOI had been negative for 10 consecutive days. That development could be an early indication that what has been a fairly stable La Niña regime throughout the winter could be moving closer to its end stages.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) figure was +3.476 today. Over the next few days, the AO is forecast to continue to rise sharply. The ensembles suggest that the AO could peak at or above +5.000. This would be a rare event in March. Since 1950, only March 7-8, 2015 saw the AO at or above +5.000. The March record is +5.588, which was set on March 8, 2015.

On March 9 the MJO was in Phase 1 at an amplitude of 1.092 (RMM). The March 8-adjusted amplitude was 1.010 (RMM).

The significant December 16-17 snowstorm during what has been a blocky December suggests that seasonal snowfall prospects have increased especially from north of Philadelphia into southern New England. At New York City, there is a high probability based on historic cases that an additional 20" or more snow will accumulate after December. Since January 1, New York City has picked up 28.1" snow.

Winters that saw December receive 10" or more snow, less than 10" in January, and then 10" or more in February in New York City, saw measurable snowfall in March or April in 83% of cases. Winter 2009-2010 was the exception where only a trace of snow was recorded. This group of winters saw 6" or more snow during the March-April period in 50% of the cases. All said, it is more likely than not that there will be measurable snowfall after February.  

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 50% probability that New York City will have a warmer than normal March. March will likely finish with a mean temperature near 43.0° (0.5° above normal).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rjay said:

Honestly, why are you still posting Bamwx stuff?  They've been brutal for 2 straight years. 

I will never forget their arrogance over the February cold/snow. They consistently said we would can kick the cold and called others out. We all know how it ended lol

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Once they tweeted and agreed with a Colin tweet they lost all respect for themselves 

Colin made the news 

https://www.mcall.com/news/weather/mc-nws-lehigh-valley-weather-hobbyists-20210308-2hct2udpufe2ra4euaedemlkgq-story.html

1 hour ago, Allsnow said:

I will never forget their arrogance over the February cold/snow. They consistently said we would can kick the cold and called others out. We all know how it ended lol

They blocked me when I disagreed with their forecast. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Colin made the news 

https://www.mcall.com/news/weather/mc-nws-lehigh-valley-weather-hobbyists-20210308-2hct2udpufe2ra4euaedemlkgq-story.html

They blocked me when I disagreed with their forecast. 

That’s good to see that Colin was recognized. He has always been enthusiastic about the weather.

Quite frankly, hobbyists like him have filled the space left by what are often superficial and almost mechanical TV forecasts in some markets. 15-30 second sound bites are little more than time-fillers.

It’s no surprise that the Lehigh Valley Facebook page cited in the article has gained a following. The Lehigh Valley has both widely varying weather and a rich weather record. The Capital Weather Gang has filled a similar need in the Washington, DC area.

• Like 3

Surprised that Upton went with highs in the 60s east of NYC with a southerly wind this time of year. We heated up on Tue on WNW winds. I'm thinking many of us near the coast struggle to get above 55 tomorrow, maybe north shore areas like here can do better. Immediate coast like Long Beach and Jones Beach maybe not even over 50. On Fri winds turn westerly again so that should warm everyone up. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

That’s good to see that Colin was recognized. He has always been enthusiastic about the weather.

Quite frankly, hobbyists like him have filled the space left by what are often superficial and almost mechanical TV forecasts in some markets. 15-30 second sound bites are little more than time-fillers.

It’s no surprise that the Lehigh Valley Facebook page cited in the article has gained a following. The Lehigh Valley has both widely varying weather and a rich weather record. The Capital Weather Gang has filled a similar need in the Washington, DC area.

Throw the Hudson Valley Weather Facebook in the mix too for this neck of the woods. 

• Like 1

The next 8 days are averaging 46degs.(38/54), or about +4.0.

EURO out on a limb with 6" of Snow on the 16th.         Other models just a Trace.     CMC still with lowest T's the next 10 days.

47*(86%RH) here at 6am.     48* at 7am.   (was 44* at 5am)       50* by 9am.       53* by 11am.        55* by Noon.       Fell back to 54* briefly.      58* by 2pm.[was 61* att on Tues, ended at 64*)        60* at 3pm.        54*---56* at 6am.

9 minutes ago, SACRUS said:

Last 70(+) readings for the area was Nov 11-12.    43 on the way up once we clear later this morning.   Sep sun angle

Yeah, 70s away from the ocean look like good bet today. The dewpoints are only in the 20s and 30s to our south. So quickly rising temperatures in such a dry airmass.

STAFFORD*      PTCLDY    53  24  32 CALM      30.37R                  
FREDERICKSBRG* PTCLDY    52  35  51 S3        30.33R          

2BFECF36-D08E-4FC5-B533-AD0D3C334BF8.thumb.gif.f16ae010b33b26e2296b064075ab84ba.gif