Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS and nowcast 10A-5P both Mon and Tue 2/22-23

wdrag

3 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

For Northern NJ, into SE NYS:

a) There are totals way behind the finals up here north of 287, into NYS. 

b) Considering that it tapered off much earlier in NJ than where I was, it must have snowed at near 2"/hr rates initially across northern NJ counties.

c) This really was a day that warranted a Heavy Snow Warning in these zones. If not today - when? Or perhaps the classification shouldn't even exist in these zones. 

I think Heavy Snow Warnings are now Winter Storm Warnings for heavy snowfall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

For Northern NJ, into SE NYS:

a) There are totals way behind the finals up here north of 287, into NYS. 

b) Considering that it tapered off much earlier in NJ than where I was, it must have snowed at near 2"/hr rates initially across northern NJ counties.

c) This really was a day that warranted a Heavy Snow Warning in these zones. If not today - when? Or perhaps the classification shouldn't even exist in these zones. 

There’s really no reason to sweat the details here. 

1 hour ago, EpicHECS said:

lol...see? This was indeed a different kind of snow. It stuck to everything and tonight is as wintry as it's looked all year out there in the Hudson Valley. It's very white and the snowpack has been nicely refreshed. The trees and powerlines are caked in white. 

When it first started, it made the roads just plain terrible immediately. As as said before: 1-3pm was a whiteout and the roads just became overwhelmed quickly. 

Current obs continue to report 31 degrees. That was my temperature for the entirety of the event and it was as cold as in the 20's locally, around the onset of the heaviest snow back around lunchtime. 

we had this kind of snowfall on Superbowl Sunday with 7-8 inches of all daylight snow- my favorite event of the whole season

So, hello again.  We don't have to put this thread to bed.  Think it will become active again Tuesday with small accumulations of generally 0.1-1" around the city, maybe not in CP?  but certainly across NJ and probably se NYS, even CT, and may extend into earlyTuesday night as a strong short wave crosses the region along with a wind shift and considerable drying late Tuesday night (LI increases considerably). 

• Like 1

Good  morning, It's Tuesday the 23rd.  

Expect a period of snow showers in the nw-ne suburbs toward midday. Elsewhere for NYC/LI & s of I-78, rain or possibly rain/mixed snow showers early this afternoon. No accumulation NYC CP eastward and southward, however 0.1-0.7" possible in a few hilly areas well northwest and north of the city. Essentially harmless, with probably no street hazard, other than what one might expect in a rain shower. This is associated with a strong wave passage. mPing should be somewhat active between 10A-4P. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wdrag said:

Saw the no changed ranked 0.4" at CP. Very good.  Here's a couple of NWS LSR mapped data.

Screen_Shot_2021-02-22_at_6_16.04_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-22_at_6_16.40_PM.png

Just before the flip to rain here it snowed incredibly hard with massive flakes. The final 30 minutes put down well over 2"! As it flipped I was outside and measured 5.5, less than 10 minutes later it was under 3". This goes perfectly with the 2.5-3" reports here.

• Thanks 1

The CoCoRaHs snowfall. May be a little suppressed se edge where rain was involved??  and in overall slight settling of the wet snow pack since snow ended late yesterday and some of these obs may only be 1x/day per life. There was some offshore lightning late yesterday.  

Screen_Shot_2021-02-23_at_10_00.52_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-23_at_10_00.14_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-23_at_10_01.21_AM.png

Screen_Shot_2021-02-22_at_5_58.47_PM.png

• Like 1

23 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

With 1"-2" snowfall reports around Binghamton, it is extremely likely that Binghamton has received at least 0.5" snow today. As a result, winter 2019-20 has moved past winter 1962-63 to become Binghamton's 19th snowiest winter on record. Winter 1962-63 had seen 95.3" snow.

Crazy that Bing has a 40" snowfall in there this year and only gets to 19th place...

• Like 1