Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
OBS and nowcast 10A-5P both Mon and Tue 2/22-23

wdrag

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

The above pictures are from NYC’s suburbs (Scarsdale, Larchmont, and Mamaroneck). If anything stuck on Central Park’s snowboard after 1 pm, it will likely be washed away before the Park measures again at 7 pm. It seems that no measurement is made when the snow stops falling or no such measurement is made on a consistent basis.

They don't make a measurement when the precip changes?  They're supposed to...

If snow and rain are mixed and there is snow that accumulates, report the precipitation (melted) in the gauge as your daily precipitation, and report the maximum accumulation of the new snow as Snowfall. If the snow is likely to melt before the official observation time, it is best to measure the depth of the new snow as soon as possible after the snow ends before it has a chance to melt. Be sure to include that you had mixed precipitation in your comments.

https://www.weather.gov/coop/Forms-Manuals-Equipment

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:
31.3° moderate snow, 3.2 inches so fa, doesn't look like will make it to 4.

58.5 inches on the season, 17 inches otg, and not one day in February so far with a snow depth below 12.5 inches, and 40.5 inches for the month. That is an A+ month in my book.

What were your storm totals this month from the events? Just curious. 

Just now, RU848789 said:

They don't make a measurement when the precip changes?  They're supposed to...

If snow and rain are mixed and there is snow that accumulates, report the precipitation (melted) in the gauge as your daily precipitation, and report the maximum accumulation of the new snow as Snowfall. If the snow is likely to melt before the official observation time, it is best to measure the depth of the new snow as soon as possible after the snow ends before it has a chance to melt. Be sure to include that you had mixed precipitation in your comments.

https://www.weather.gov/coop/Forms-Manuals-Equipment

They should, but that doesn’t happen there consistently. 

3 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

1-3pm on the roads earlier was terrible. There was no pretreatment and it was like they had to scramble to get the plows out. 

I had a plow come down my (dead end) street around 1 and then it really started coming down. He had the salt spreader going but it was useless and everything is a mess. No pre-treatment here either. I think they figured it was just an inch or so and during the day at marginal temps so it would mostly take care of itself. That's not what they got. lol

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

The amount of non 4 wheel sedans out there was a joke earlier. All panicking, hazards on, pulling off onto the shoulder. 

And they have the wrong tires. Even my sports car is a little monster with good winter tires but with the all season sport tires I run the other 3 season of the year I can't keep it from sliding off the crown of the road in 1/2" of snow. 

Be careful, with 4-6" of snow here and now it's raining the trees and branches are starting to sag badly. It's just a matter of time before branches start breaking off.

• Like 1

Just now, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

image.png.9fc63ce1cbd1fdf092c7dc4067b47cc5.png

Still snowing moderately so may add several more tenths today. Had 1.0 inch my midnight January 31 so storm total was 27.4 for the Feb 1 storm.

Wowsers I didn't know you had that much from the first storm there. Thought it was more south of you. Impressive!

Just now, gravitylover said:

And they have the wrong tires. Even my sports car is a little monster with good winter tires but with the all season sport tires I run the other 3 season of the year I can't keep it from sliding off the crown of the road in 1/2" of snow. 

Be careful, with 4-6" of snow here and now it's raining the trees and branches are starting to sage badly. It's just a matter of time before branches start breaking off.

Exactly.  If one had decent tires they were fine.  There was a period of heavy snow early here in Goshen but its been light snow for hours now and there's plenty of pavement on the roads as a result. 

Just now, EpicHECS said:

Scotchtown - 211 into Middletown was terrible earlier. So was 84 for a good hour +. They didn't pretreat the roads for this event and it was a mistake. Are you sure you're at "light snow"? It's dumping here. 

In Goshen NY?  I'm on Main St right now, you think this is dumping?  LMAO.  This is steady light snow.  

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Exactly.  If one had decent tires they were fine.  There was a period of heavy snow early here in Goshen but its been light snow for hours now and there's plenty of pavement on the roads as a result. 

1 minute ago, EpicHECS said:

Don't know what to tell you. You got more than 3" and today was not just steady light snow. I was out in it all around the county for 2+ hours, Dude. Others on here are already reporting 5"+. 

17 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

Don't know what to tell you. You got more than 3" and today was not just steady light snow. I was out in it all around the county for 2+ hours, Dude. Others on here are already reporting 5"+. You been hitting the bottle a little today? 

Visibility of 1/2 mile is light snow.

Visibility less than 1/4 mile might be heavy snow.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Visibility of 1/2 mile is light snow.

Visibility less than 1/4 mile might be heavy snow.

When the street 1200 feet away disappears I think of it as moderate, when the street 750 feet away goes away it's heavy and when the next block over disappears I go outside and groove on it :) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, EpicHECS said:

Scotchtown - 211 into Middletown was terrible earlier. So was 84 for a good hour +. They didn't pretreat the roads for this event and it was a mistake. Are you sure you're at "light snow"? It's dumping here. 

There was a shadow area on many of the models that ran thru the middle of the County N/S. I noticed it on radar earlier when it was dumping over here in Cornwall. It showed up as a persistent narrow light blue stripe. I saw it for quite awhile and thought it might translate East but it really was focused out there. Good job by the clown maps showing this since yesterday. 

• Thanks 1

4.3" here of very pasty wet snow. Most of it fell and accumulated at 34°
This is an entirely different snow than storms past. I believe the 0.5" QPF and then some. What are some of you guys liquid equivalents if you calculated it?

It's probably a good thing we didn't get much more - this is the type of snow that would've started breaking stuff had it gone on much longer.

• Thanks 1