Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Feb 22 Minor snow and rain event

HoarfrostHubb

15 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

What the hell?   I think you have had more snow than me this winter and you basically have no pack?  Crazy.  
This is my yard a few minutes ago:

EE5EAC42-4CE5-4F0F-B7C9-C53ED4BE547F.thumb.jpeg.6fb6ce588d631863496d1daa8cad1638.jpeg

Nah, you got me beat by 9" right now.  I'm basically at climo for the season.  It's just not been a cold winter so pack was never gonna stick around here with daily temps in the 30s/40s.  Works for me as I don't want to it to stick around.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Yeah, it was a shoveling type year here.  I used the snow blower only once back in December when I waited till storms end to cleanup.

I've run the machine for 3 storms, the mess of Jan 16 (during moderate RA), Feb 3 (morning after the event) and the 2/16 sleet - only 2" but nasty for walking or driving.  Last evening's 3" will be well settled by tomorrow sunset, no need to remove it beyond the porch stairs and the cars. 

The forecast was decent overall, but it was too paltry across west-central and southwestern CT

NUISANCE.png

This is due in large part to the fact that the forecast did not weigh the diurnal impact heavily enough. More specifically, the forecast map underplayed the fact that the early onset of snowfall to the west limited solar heating, this extending snowfall to the south and allowing it to accumulate more at lower elevations. This resulted in a general 1-2" across all of the western half of CT, and not just the higher terrain of the NW portion of the state. The rest of the forecast was accurate.

Latest_Snow_box.png

The late start time afforded more time for solar irradiance, as well as more warm air advection from the intensifying system.

Final Grade: B-
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tamarack said:

Nice!  I'm guessing my home growing up. a few miles to your south but at 700', has gotten more snow than here in the Maine foothills.  Yesterday's 3" brought the pack to the same 20" and total snowfall to 48.4.  How much did you measure from the Feb. 1-2 bomb?

I’m at 50.5 for the year, the big storm I had 22 on the ground . If I  used clearing  off  method I would have prob had 28-30.  The end of the storm snow was a lot  more dense than begginig part  it  was compacting as new snow was falling . (I counted it as 22 in my yearly totals ) 

56 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

I’m at 50.5 for the year, the big storm I had 22 on the ground . If I  used clearing  off  method I would have prob had 28-30.  The end of the storm snow was a lot  more dense than begginig part  it  was compacting as new snow was falling . (I counted it as 22 in my yearly totals ) 

Seems extreme...I would say more like 25-26".

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

Thanks.  Someone from Fayson Lakes where I grew up said18, but it looked like more there and was more elsewhere in Morris County. 

53 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Seems extreme...I would say more like 25-26".

I was judging based on what accumulated on top my cars compared to what added to snow on the ground .  I cleared my cars off  when we had a little break and easily had 6-8 inches of additionally snow .  Barley would add  anything to snowpack 

52 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

I was judging based on what accumulated on top my cars compared to what added to snow on the ground .  I cleared my cars off  when we had a little break and easily had 6-8 inches of additionally snow .  Barley would add  anything to snowpack 

Trick to say that, though......extrapolating like that can be tricky. I see what you are saying...

25 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Trick to say that, though......extrapolating like that can be tricky. I see what you are saying...

Yea that’s why I didn’t add any additional  , I just want with 22 for my total . No doubt some of those real high numbers from my county used the clearing method.  

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

Yea that’s why I didn’t add any additional  , I just want with 22 for my total . No doubt some of those real high numbers from my county used the clearing method.  

Concerning huge Morris Cty totals, IMO it would be a bit sad if Mount Arlington's 35.1" officially eclipses the current record, mainly because I like the irony of the least snowy spot in the state having recorded the biggest snowfall.

28 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Concerning huge Morris Cty totals, IMO it would be a bit sad if Mount Arlington's 35.1" officially eclipses the current record, mainly because I like the irony of the least snowy spot in the state having recorded the biggest snowfall.

I believe i heard a rumor that it’s already been determined to be an inaccurate measurement , I think cape may will still have the record lol

Final totals from yesterdays rain/snow storm. There was a wide variation in elevation with this event. I can attest to that driving through it. Hamden for example ranged from 0 at <100FT to up to an inch over 500FT. It can be hard to show elevation on a 2D map but i think this gives the general idea. 

Overall for CT i think this worked out extremely well with the ranges and general idea. A few reports in a small area fell outside the range of 2-4 by a few tenths around winchester/new hartford area and the 2-4 area could have been pulled down in western CT to make it perfect. 

Grade: A-

02_23.21_jdj_snowfall_totals.thumb.jpg.e91207986c1d3fb73b37e3a1eb6a89ab.jpg

02_21_21_jdj_snowfall_forecast.thumb.jpg.49b9225ecd64f8900b54d8f760e27282.jpg

• Like 1