• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 22 - Wet Snow Event

ChescoWx

Switched to rain here about 40 minutes ago, but measured 3.2" before that. Getting mashed down by the rain and 37F temps now. Still, an overperformer for me, I thought an inch or 2 in spite of the lofty projections by some models. An awesome event, nice snow falling for a few hours, puts me over 30" for the season, and should really help to extend the snowpack into the weekend it would seem. 5th accumulating event this month, pretty cool.

29 minutes ago, The Iceman said:

Girlfriend at home says it's mostly rain at the moment after flipping back and forth the last half hour. Snowboard right at 3.5"  before the changeover. We ll see if we can flip back as that heavy slug of precip moves NE, would be sweet to get to 4". 

3.9" here after a quick burst of snow, 0.1" since my last measurement. I was outside shoveling and noticed the exact same thing, it must've flipped from SN to IP to RN 10-15 times. At one point it went from rain to snowballs falling- Usually don't see the precip type change that rapidly. Either way a nice little event to add onto the existing significant snowpack.

Now it's a slushy mess, up to 33.4.

7 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

These snow depth maps on the NAMs have been terrible lately. Had about the same last storm...I remember because I posted it. So the 1" it showed turned into 8" of snow here. Looking forward to some snow tv shortly. Radar shows it moving in earlier.

Ralph,   you were sure right about this one.

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

Looks like the final tally will be 3.5" in Hopewell. Not bad considering we didn't even have a winter weather advisory until the event was pretty much over.

I have both Mercer and Hunterdon set for my alerts and monitor both (WWA for Hunterdon was issued very early this morning). This part of Mercer is literally surrounded by Hunterdon county to the SW/W/NW/N/NE, so I usually figure on a blend of the two, especially with some elevation at play.

The 12/2/19 storm dropped a few inches here, yet as soon as you got out of the elevated areas of Sourlands, even over the course of a few miles dropped to nothing. I've seen the same when I used to commute over the top of the ridge- and on more than one occasion saw snow amounts max out on the ridge, and drop to almost nothing in Hopewell borough and beyond (with similar amounts in the Amwell Valley).

I was in southern Delaware county where I was in Darby barely 1” before it flipped back and forth between snow and rain.  Meanwhile in Media 7.4 miles WNW call it 3.2” in my part and almost 4” in Newtown Square 7 miles NW of Media.

Elevation Elevation at work here along with the increasing sun angle. 

2 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Lol, I had that thought, but I worked my butt off to get it that size, and that record may stand (here), so why keep it a secret. This is the place for sharing crazy weather stuff after all : -).

I've been doing fun things with snow for a looong time!

Hell no, enjoy it!