• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Feb 22 - Wet Snow Event

ChescoWx

WXSIM likes this "event" more than the last one for snow....by the way not buying the 31 for a high....if I was forecasting I would make this a solid 34 in my area....but what do i know....

Monday: Dense overcast. A chance of snow in the morning, then snow likely in the
 afternoon. High 31. Wind chill ranging from 17 to 23. Wind south-southwest
 around 9 mph, gusting to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between a quarter and half an inch.
 Snow accumulation 2 to 3 inches.

I think this will come down to how cold we end up getting on Sunday night. Places that drop into the low 20s or teens will have a shot at 1-3". Right now that looks like N and W of 95 but with the snow cover in place, there's definitely a shot that immediate burbs could see some accumulation as well since rates seem decent. Don't see this being anything more than white rain for the city and easy of 95.

2-4  for the LV with lollipops of 6 in.  This storm has the potential to be labeled as an over performer for many if the convective portion gets going. Do not underestimate the snowfall rates which can easily overcome any sun angle crap even on treated roads.  A nice cover for the dirty snow along the roads right now and 4 inches will nearly give me over 60 in for the year in Macungie

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Canadian models (ggem, rgem, hdrps) are insisting this is 3-6 hrs of heavy snow at 1-2"/ hr. Increasing with each run. NAMs are nothing like it.

Icon likes it too.. all snow for se pa. Plus check out the euro:

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

Really the nams are the only one that don't give se pa anything. 

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, wkd said:

Looks to me that by late afternoon we may end up with only an inch or two of additional snow accumulation due to a possible period of rain. In any case I'm going to enjoy another round of snow coming during daylight hours. This has been a great winter in that respect.

If you want stickage this is last thing you want. Overnight would be more ideal for any sort of accumulation...

• Weenie 1

Wxsim with 12z NAM and 6z GFS

This really looks to me like one of those events where every 100 feet of elevation will make a difference...

Monday: Dense overcast. Snow likely in the morning, then a mix of snow and rain
 likely in the afternoon. High 32. Wind chill ranging from 17 to 24. Wind south
 around 9 mph, gusting to 16 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
 Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly between half an inch and one inch. Snow
 accumulation 4 to 6 inches.

3 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Whatever happens it looks like these will be the last flakes SE PA sees for a while. 

Way too early to say that. March is a weird month, you can have a +nao/+ao/-pna and still get snow.. all it takes is one perfectly tracked bowling ball. It's become pretty rare that we get completely skunked in March. I bet there will be one more 'threat' after this one that comes probably after the first week of March. If not though, still a great winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, The Iceman said:

Way too early to say that. March is a weird month, you can have a +nao/+ao/-pna and still get snow.. all it takes is one perfectly tracked bowling ball. It's become pretty rare that we get completely skunked in March. I bet there will be one more 'threat' after this one that comes probably after the first week of March. If not though, still a great winter. 

March is the best month for elevation driven events....the way this year has gone....I suspect snow is not done in much of the NW philly burbs over 500 ft ASL....

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Then melts 10 minutes later (on paved surfaces) when it stops w/many temps above 32f  tomorrow...mid-upper 30s by afternoon.

It didn’t t melt 10 mins after on roads this past week.  Stop just stop

and besides who cares if it melts on streets.  It always does when the sun comes out and roads are treated.  That is what Penndot/local municipalities get our tax money for.

Just now, KamuSnow said:

I don't care about roads too much for tomorrow, I'm hoping that whatever we get will help me get through next weekend with some semblance of a snowpack, which would be the icing on the cake for this month.

I think you'll get that to save your pile for a bit but it's going to take a hit next week...it will be smaller by next weekend IMO but not dead.

13 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

It didn’t t melt 10 mins after on roads this past week.  Stop just stop

and besides who cares if it melts on streets.  It always does when the sun comes out and roads are treated.  That is what Penndot/local municipalities get our tax money for.

Sun doesn't have to come out this time of year...

• Weenie 3

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

If you want stickage this is last thing you want. Overnight would be more ideal for any sort of accumulation...

I'm probably wierd in this respect, but I get more enjoyment out of seeing the snow fall0

than how much if any accumulates. Age I guess, although I've got a tractor/loader so accumulation is not really a problem.

1 minute ago, wkd said:

I'm probably wierd in this respect, but I get more enjoyment out of seeing the snow fall0

than how much if any accumulates. Age I guess, although I've got a tractor/loader so accumulation is not really a problem.

Not at all.

For myself, if it doesn't stick on pavements/roads , still alright but kinda meaningless. However during the holidays I'll take any sort of snow...just seeing it fall along w/the lights is pretty cool.

• Weenie 1